Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experiences getting Tesla to resolve autopilot / EAP issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone with "WTF" or "stop trying to murder me autopilot" experience (e.g. AP1 or AP2 starts leaving lane with clear markings into highway divider) raised issue with Tesla and they've resolved it?

please share your experience working/dealing with tesla, process you used to ensure issue gets right level of attention and gets resolved.

• Informative
Reactions: Snerruc
Seems like an unfortunate thread title....

But when my car was delivered, AP2 would make a sudden correction to the right every time I engaged it. It turned out the steering alignment was slightly off, and a realignment without any firmware change fixed that issue.
I have this issue too, so I'm curious about what was going on with yours. With mine, not only does it always jerk to the right, but it *stays* to the right. That is, I feel like I'm not centered in the lane, but instead riding the right lane marker. The car shows itself centered in the lane though. Is that what was going on with yours? Or was it jerking to the right, and then correcting back to the left?

I have this issue too, so I'm curious about what was going on with yours. With mine, not only does it always jerk to the right, but it *stays* to the right. That is, I feel like I'm not centered in the lane, but instead riding the right lane marker. The car shows itself centered in the lane though. Is that what was going on with yours? Or was it jerking to the right, and then correcting back to the left?

My AP1 has done this from day-one. I assumed it was because I tend to favor the left of the lane and autopilot likes the center of the lane. I have never once engaged AP and had it not move-over to the right (center)....does it every time, even in stop-and-go traffic.

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
My AP1 has done this from day-one. I assumed it was because I tend to favor the left of the lane and autopilot likes the center of the lane. I have never once engaged AP and had it not move-over to the right (center)....does it every time, even in stop-and-go traffic.

Yeah- exact same experience here. I had them look at it at the SC. They reset AP such that it would re-calibrate in case that was the issue. After it recalibrated, the behavior is about the same. I too am chalking it up to preferring the left side of the lane. Still feels strange to me.

• Informative
Yeah- exact same experience here. I had them look at it at the SC. They reset AP such that it would re-calibrate in case that was the issue. After it recalibrated, the behavior is about the same. I too am chalking it up to preferring the left side of the lane. Still feels strange to me.

Next opportunity, ask your passenger if it feels right-side heavy to them. It’s all a matter of perspective. (Or you accidentally got a Republican Tesla...)

On the day of my delivery two weeks back, I decided to test out the auto parallel park feature after returning home. To my dismay, autopilot let the car back into the curb and scuffed the tire. Luckily, the rim was untouched. I haven't tried the auto parking feature ever since. Also, when I'm coming to a stop behind cars at a traffic light and sensors detect cars stopped next to me, a spot with P shows up on the display next to the lines indicating parallel parking is available. Minor complaint but annoying nonetheless for autopilot to not detect that you're on the road and not in a parking lot.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
On the day of my delivery two weeks back, I decided to test out the auto parallel park feature after returning home. To my dismay, autopilot let the car back into the curb and scuffed the tire. Luckily, the rim was untouched. I haven't tried the auto parking feature ever since. Also, when I'm coming to a stop behind cars at a traffic light and sensors detect cars stopped next to me, a spot with P shows up on the display next to the lines indicating parallel parking is available. Minor complaint but annoying nonetheless for autopilot to not detect that you're on the road and in a parking lot.
Have your raise this with Tesla? I'm guessing no but this is why I raised the thread.

Have your raise this with Tesla? I'm guessing no but this is why I raised the thread.

I haven't brought this issue up with Tesla yet thinking that this auto parallel park goof up was just a rare occurrence but not brave enough to test it again and currently just parallel parking manually. I would like to know if other members in this thread had the same issue and if it if worth bringing it to Tesla's attention.

• Helpful
Title is not click bate. The purpose of the thread is to educate those with issue by those who had autopilot issue(s) resolved and the process used to resolve this.

I see a lot of complaints how lane markings were clear but car left the lane. I want to see info on how to hold Tesla accountable for this.
Click bait or not, it's extremely misleading. I'm sure practically everyone reading it thought you are writing a thread on how Tesla solved your problem. You should have wrote: Experiences getting Tesla to resolve autopilot / EAP issues?

For me, it was literally showing itself off-centered and going beyond departing the lane markers.

Perhaps you're used to driving closer to the left side of the lane? You should be able to tell via your mirrors or rear camera whether or not you're centered physically in your lane.

Mine was immediately departing the lane after AP engagement, and riding as far as 1 foot across the lane marker for 20-30 seconds before adjusting steering position… and forgetting that the next time I started the car.