Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

F-150 Ford Lightning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They say that it can power your house for 3 days with the extended range battery if you use 30kWh/day. That means that it must have ~100kWh of usable battery. And they expect to get 300 miles of range with that? Yeah, I'm not falling for that. (Maybe they only let you use ~66% of the available battery capacity to power your house so that you always have enough power to drive somewhere if needed, like to re-charge.)

Something to remember is that the Mach-E only gets ~300 miles of range on a 100kWh pack in the RWD version. So the F150 getting 300 miles, that is a 4x4, has to mean that it is using at least a 150kWh pack.

Last edited:
To get an F-150 EV with a 15 inch screen and a 300 miles range I need to go above the XLT (to Lariat) and add the extended battery option. Am I correct that we are looking at around $65k damage minimum for a 300-mile range truck with reasonable options?
Also, if Ford can't figure out really fast DC charging (not limited by 80%) by the time the F-150 EV arrives then it is DOA.

Other than these ... I am glad that Ford moves in the direction of electrification. At least, it provides a lot of pro-EV PR. Good for Tesla unless Ford sponsors recent anti-Tesla FUD as well.

Something to remember is that the Mach-E only gets ~300 miles of range on a 100kWh pack in the RWD version. So the F150 getting 300 miles, that is a 4x4, has to mean that it is using at least a 150kWh pack.
By some estimates (the weight of the battery is 1800 lbs), the capacity is closer to 180 kWh. It is on a standard F-150 platform, not efficient for an EV. I think the Mach-E should be more efficient per body weight than the F-150 EV.

Reactions: SmartElectric
To get an F-150 EV with a 15 inch screen and a 300 miles range I need to go above the XLT (to Lariat) and add the extended battery option. Am I correct that we are looking at around $65k damage minimum for a 300-mile range truck with reasonable options?
Also, if Ford can't figure out really fast DC charging (not limited by 80%) by the time the F-150 EV arrives then it is DOA.

Other than these ... I am glad that Ford moves in the direction of electrification. At least, it provides a lot of pro-EV PR. Good for Tesla unless Ford sponsors recent anti-Tesla FUD as well.

No, the extended battery will be offered at all Trim levels with standard 4x4. The 15 inch screen I am not sure about. Frankly, if the other option is the integrated 12 inch screen that is currently offered I would prefer that.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Granted, it IS just an electric F150, but the F150 is a fine looking truck, and honestly when we saw the previews yesterday I was worried they had kind of neutered the look of it, but the official reveal images look pretty good. I haven't liked any of the electric PUs revealed so far, with the exception of the sporty looking Canoo variant, but like the Rivian I think that appeals to a much more recreational market, this one definitely scratches the "functional" pick up itch one might have.

Maybe I'll be able to talk my company into trading in our F-350 for one of these someday...

19.2kW (80A@240V) for 8hrs = 153.6kWh. Assume 10% charging loss, that's ~138kWh delivered to the battery to add 85%, so 138/0.85 = ~160kWh pack.

19.2kW gives 30mph vs 59mph on my dual charger S. So the F-150 uses >600Wh/mile. Yikes!

160000Wh / 600Wh/mi = 267 mi range
0.6kWh/mi would be not surprising and probably even good for a cuboid body on a steel wagon frame with a 1800lbs battery. Remember, a small Mach-E on a re-imagined Ford Focus platform takes 0.36kWh/mi.

I just hope that they're sand bagging their range so owners won't be disappointed when they haul extra gear.

I'm a little disappointed by the 15-80% charge speed being 44 minutes as that's somewhat slower than my Model 3's charging speed. What's interesting to me is that the extended range version charges from 15%-80% in 3 less minutes than the standard one so it's probably able to either exceed 150kW or have a flatter charging curve.

I just hope that they're sand bagging their range so owners won't be disappointed when they haul extra gear.

I'm a little disappointed by the 15-80% charge speed being 44 minutes as that's somewhat slower than my Model 3's charging speed. What's interesting to me is that the extended range version charges from 15%-80% in 3 less minutes than the standard one so it's probably able to either exceed 150kW or have a flatter charging curve.
Much bigger battery than the 3, and slower charging (150kW) = slower charge time by %/min

Here are the tech specs..

My estimates for the pack are 140 and 180. Ouch.

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 8.36.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 8.36.44 AM.png

They say that it can power your house for 3 days with the extended range battery if you use 30kWh/day. That means that it must have ~100kWh of usable battery. And they expect to get 300 miles of range with that? Yeah, I'm not falling for that. (Maybe they only let you use ~66% of the available battery capacity to power your house so that you always have enough power to drive somewhere if needed, like to re-charge.)

The promo video mentions something about truck/app notifying you when using the accessory outlets when you get down to 1/3rd charge, so I wonder if they use that same 66% available power for their being able to "power your house for 3 days" calculation... would make more sense....

I hope they sell a boatlaod of these and have so much demand they have no choice but to continue to invest heavily in EV's...

Or they might be doing what I suspect and making EV’s so inconvenient for people they want to stick with ICE. I mean 230 starting range is honestly pathetic for a Truck, even a Mach-E in my opinion. Then you have to consider their pathetic nonexistent charging network.

On the other hand, you are right this might give them a kick in the ass to take existing charging networks and make them their own

Reactions: phantasms