Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.6/7/8/9/10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of weeks ago I thought I had wind whistle at highway speeds, but then I went over a section of very smooth pavement (rare in Texas) and the car was absolutely quiet. So it was just tire/road noise.

I was just at the service center today and they updated me to 5.8.10 1.49.95. I was told the update changed the way the pano roof closes. The service manager said that the two motors are now controlled independently to provide a more precise seal.
I wonder if that's why my roof seems to stutter closed now. It's barely noticeable, but if you watch closely it looks like it moves a little and stops repeatedly. It's all happening very quickly so from far away it looks smooth. It could be the motors quickly adjusting their relationship to the other.

From what I can remember it didn't used to do that, though I may just not have noticed.

Yah, I've always heard this one when closing the roof at > 50mph. I don't do that often, partly because the sound is painful.
Mine actually makes a pleasant noise when closing. My wife always wants me to close the roof before we get off the highway so she can hear it. It slightly resembles a whistle, but it's not very loud. Certainly it doesn't hurt our ears.

None of the above. I'm going to stick my neck out and guess it's driving dynamics related so the options would be something like hill-hold or an aggressive regen option.

I'm going to go with "it's not that either". If I had to venture a guess it would be that it only brings back the drive heights. I would guess that back when 5.8 was released and the drive heights was taken away, they were involved with some major software updating (that we've seen) and it was 6.0. This software also probably partners with someone (maybe google for maps or Apple for itunes or some other media player), but the contract with that company got held up. Before the hold up, it was looking like it was going to be out in January, and all they were waiting on was the contract. Then the contract got held up, and when they realized how long it was going to take to get 6.0 out with all the goodies, they decided (at the clamoring of those like Mobster and Chipper) that it was best not to hold the re-introduction of the lowering off any longer.

While they didn't want to further remove functionality by re-releasing the pre-5.8 version, the only thing they could do is write yet another version (5.9), which is also part of why it is taking longer. Maybe the auto-lowering is tied to the coding of 6.0 in a way that just quickly removing the rest of the new coding wasn't a possibility (something like it using the ride height to adjust estimates for energy usage to get to the destination in the new maps).

I'm going to go with "it's not that either". If I had to venture a guess it would be that it only brings back the drive heights. I would guess that back when 5.8 was released and the drive heights was taken away, they were involved with some major software updating (that we've seen) and it was 6.0. This software also probably partners with someone (maybe google for maps or Apple for itunes or some other media player), but the contract with that company got held up. Before the hold up, it was looking like it was going to be out in January, and all they were waiting on was the contract. Then the contract got held up, and when they realized how long it was going to take to get 6.0 out with all the goodies, they decided (at the clamoring of those like Mobster and Chipper) that it was best not to hold the re-introduction of the lowering off any longer.

While they didn't want to further remove functionality by re-releasing the pre-5.8 version, the only thing they could do is write yet another version (5.9), which is also part of why it is taking longer. Maybe the auto-lowering is tied to the coding of 6.0 in a way that just quickly removing the rest of the new coding wasn't a possibility (something like it using the ride height to adjust estimates for energy usage to get to the destination in the new maps).

That's a whole lot of speculatin'... LOL!

That's a whole lot of speculatin'... LOL!
It was before 5.8 even came out that elon mentioned an update in January (might have been December). Since it was currently October or November, we all thought "dang, this can't be the same as the 5.8 that is due out any day and has sleep mode". Elon mentioned major over hauls to the nav system.

6.0 has been in the works for a long time. Probably well before 5.8, and it was expected to be out sooner (December or January) but something is holding it up. It made no sense to introduce a 5.9 that only brought back ride heights in late November or early December when 5.8 was released lateOctober/early November and 6.0 was expected in late December/early January.... Now that 6.0 is looking more like juneish, a 5.9 in a few months prior isn't such a waste of efforts.

Funny thing is I was having no problems whatsoever with my Pano Roof, but the last time the car was in for service they did some sort of TSB work to it, and now I have the whistle. To be fair, it is very faint and only seems to happen when it is extremely cold. Probably some rubber shrinking up due to temperature.

I got the same thing. I took it in for something else, complained about slight pano wind noise. They "fixed" it and now it's much worse...

So, the last time you were in for servicing they made it worse while trying to fix it, but this time they actually did fix it? Is that right?

Well, not exactly. I never had any issues at all with my pano roof. No wind noise, no creaking... nothing. The first time it was in for service, they did some kind of bulletin work to it (seals or something) as a proactive measure. It was fine afterwards. This winter, when it is extremely cold I get an ever so slight whistle noise from it. I don't know if it had anything to do with the bulletin work they did or not. I suspect a rubber seal somewhere shrinks up in the cold and lets a tiny bit of air in because it only happens when it's really, really cold.

If only I hadn't given up alcohol for Lent...:crying:

Great. Does that mean I don't owe you a beer??? :biggrin: (actually I may owe you two)

- - - Updated - - -

v5.9 is next. I'll bet you a beer on it.

I have learned...NEVER bet with Bonnie or Nigel

- - - Updated - - -

I guess it has the lowering feature again.
That would be great and make many people very happy.

It was before 5.8 even came out that elon mentioned an update in January (might have been December). Since it was currently October or November, we all thought "dang, this can't be the same as the 5.8 that is due out any day and has sleep mode". Elon mentioned major over hauls to the nav system.

6.0 has been in the works for a long time. Probably well before 5.8, and it was expected to be out sooner (December or January) but something is holding it up. It made no sense to introduce a 5.9 that only brought back ride heights in late November or early December when 5.8 was released lateOctober/early November and 6.0 was expected in late December/early January.... Now that 6.0 is looking more like juneish, a 5.9 in a few months prior isn't such a waste of efforts.

You are confused, Kraken. When Elon mentions dates you need to apply the hype-baby correction factor. Add 43 days and then multiply by 1.7 the time until the adjusted date that he mentioned.
For example, in November he mentioned "January" for 6.0. 1/31/14 - Nov 17 = 75 days. +43 = 118. * 1.7 = 201. So he was talking about early June all along.

This formula also appears to apply to the CHAdeMO adapter and the first production Model X

You are confused, Kraken. When Elon mentions dates you need to apply the hype-baby correction factor. Add 43 days and then multiply by 1.7 the time until the adjusted date that he mentioned. For example, in November he mentioned "January" for 6.0. 1/31/14 - Nov 17 = 75 days. +43 = 118. * 1.7 = 201. So he was talking about early June all along.

Math is hard.