Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sweet! The service center upgraded me to 2.7.77 today while they were swapping out my drive unit. And -- taa daaaa -- the time and temperature are back in their rightful place at the bottom of the speedo display! (Time still available on the 17" top right too.)

Baby steps. But they ARE listening.

Call me crazy, but I have to chuckle at all the debate about the brake lights indicator. I think people should look through the windshield, not stare at the IC hoping to reverse engineer the algorithm Tesla uses to illuminate the brake lights!

I agree with you but it's so additive to look at the toy car and try to figure out how Tesla engineers the algorithm of break lights. I wish Tesla can just provide us the detail algorithm how it works, and maybe I will stop looking at it.

I agree with you but it's so additive to look at the toy car and try to figure out how Tesla engineers the algorithm of break lights. I wish Tesla can just provide us the detail algorithm how it works, and maybe I will stop looking at it.
As far as i can tell, it just works and does a better job than most cars without regen.

Dunno about 6.1 and 6.2 (never bothered to check). Not sure about all cases, but the few I tested once the brake lights came on due to regen, they stayed on until I ether pressed the accelerator, or if I pressed the brake to fully stop they turned off when I released the brake.

Just so we're clear, is the following not your understanding?

• Approach stop-sign, release the accelerator, regen kicks-in and brake lights come on. No foot on any pedal at this point.
  • Eventually, car's deceleration will be low enough that the brake lights will turn off while still rolling towards intersection
  • You step on the brake pedal to engage mechanical friction brakes and bring the car to a stop. Brake lights always come on when your foot is on the brake pedal
  • You release the brake pedal, and the brake lights turn off (because you're not on the friction brakes, and regen at a standstill is non-existent

The above is the way it has always worked in every Tesla production vehicle and on every firmware version ever. If not, your car is broken, or I need to go out and re-check mine on 7.0. But I'm pretty sure I would've noticed something so glaringly obvious.

As most probably know, if you pull up the Charging screen on the 17", the brake lights will show there too. I used that for a bit when I was curious about this, figured it out and now that I know, don't really need it in my face any longer.

Just so we're clear, is the following not your understanding?

• Approach stop-sign, release the accelerator, regen kicks-in and brake lights come on. No foot on any pedal at this point.
  • Eventually, car's deceleration will be low enough that the brake lights will turn off while still rolling towards intersection
  • You step on the brake pedal to engage mechanical friction brakes and bring the car to a stop. Brake lights always come on when your foot is on the brake pedal
  • You release the brake pedal, and the brake lights turn off (because you're not on the friction brakes, and regen at a standstill is non-existent

The above is the way it has always worked in every Tesla production vehicle and on every firmware version ever. If not, your car is broken, or I need to go out and re-check mine on 7.0. But I'm pretty sure I would've noticed something so glaringly obvious.

FWIW, that's exactly how it works on my car since day 1, and even now on V7.0.

But there are occasionally situations where you release the accelerator, regen kicks in, and you need a little brake to slow but then don't need the brakes anymore. An example would be a car at a standstill turning left in front of you, followed by a line of cars at a traffic light.

Ken's example is definitely the common case, but it's not the only one.

Marketing people thinking: "Put the energy stuff in there, but don't have it front-and-center, because range just isn't an issue with this car. Instead, feature all of the cool AP features."
Even with gasoline stations on every corner it is useful to know when you are going to run out of gas, before the idiot light tells you to refuel. As a result virtually every ICE vehicle prominently displays a fuel gauge. Prominently displaying the Range gauge doesn't mean that Tesla is imitating an ICE it's just common sense to have that important piece of information front and center, regardless of whether the car warns you or not.

Larry

Sweet! The service center upgraded me to 2.7.77 today while they were swapping out my drive unit. And -- taa daaaa -- the time and temperature are back in their rightful place at the bottom of the speedo display! (Time still available on the 17" top right too.)

Nice! Now if we can get the odometer demoted and the battery indicator promoted back to the center gauge we'd be all set! Or at least I would. That's my remaining major complain, though there's a few minor ones remaining.

Any chance we can get a picture of that? Just dropped my car off and will ask them to do that update.

Would be nice if they put the date back on the screens somewhere besides the calendar icon.

Would be nice if they put the date back on the screens somewhere besides the calendar icon.
I'm not too concerned about how or where info is displayed as long as it's somewhere. I can get used to it if they move things around, but not if the info is gone. So for me, the one thing I'd like to see restored is the day of the week. If I come up to a sign that says "No right turn Mon-Fri 7-9am", it's nice to have the day of the week there as a quick reminder, especially for someone like me with an irregular work schedule. They could add it back to the dashboard, or the 17" status bar or the calendar app icon; I don't really care.

I'm not too concerned about how or where info is displayed as long as it's somewhere. I can get used to it if they move things around, but not if the info is gone.

Wow. How refreshingly reasonable. I can absolutely get behind your argument. I wouldn't have considered the day of the week very important, but for someone with an irregular schedule, it makes complete sense.

This is not my experience on 6.2. (I haven't upgraded to 7.0.) Light pressure on the brake pedal does not cause the brake lights to come on. To make a smooth stop, I need to let up on the brake pedal (but not completely) right at the end, and this causes the brake lights to turn off. Then once the car comes to a complete stop, I apply more pressure and the brake lights come back on.

I have found no way to make a smooth stop without the brake lights turning off at some point.

This is not my experience on 6.2. (I haven't upgraded to 7.0.) Light pressure on the brake pedal does not cause the brake lights to come on. To make a smooth stop, I need to let up on the brake pedal (but not completely) right at the end, and this causes the brake lights to turn off. Then once the car comes to a complete stop, I apply more pressure and the brake lights come back on.

I have found no way to make a smooth stop without the brake lights turning off at some point.

Sounds like your brake pedal contact switch is in need of adjustment. Brake lights illuminate with the slightest touch in every car I've owned, including this one.

Wow. How refreshingly reasonable. I can absolutely get behind your argument. I wouldn't have considered the day of the week very important, but for someone with an irregular schedule, it makes complete sense.

Yes, those of us with irregular work schedules appreciate these things. Bad enough not being able to use "smart" preconditioning!

- - - Updated - - -

I think that is more style of driving and topography of where you are. I make smooth stops with the brake depressed enough for the light to engage all the time. But based on your description, I could see how what you are experiencing is happening. Guess I just have a heavier foot.

I'm not too concerned about how or where info is displayed as long as it's somewhere.

How about climate controls? In auto mode, they don't even bother to show the current state. In manual, now it just shows "Manual" and requires an additional press of the tab to bring up the display. I do not consider this to be "moved" functionality but rather "removed" functionality altogether.

I think that is more style of driving and topography of where you are. I make smooth stops with the brake depressed enough for the light to engage all the time. But based on your description, I could see how what you are experiencing is happening. Guess I just have a heavier foot.

I don't see how it could be possible to make smooth stop without modulating the brake. Perhaps a pure regen stop would do it, but I'm not skilled enough to stop exactly where I want that way, so I always try to save a little bit of stopping distance for the friction brakes. If I use steady but moderate brake pressure the whole way, the car will slow down almost all the way, and then make an abrupt stop. I think every car I've driven has been like that (the abrupt stop, not the brake lights turning off).

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like your brake pedal contact switch is in need of adjustment. Brake lights illuminate with the slightest touch in every car I've owned, including this one.

Quite possibly. I'll try to remember to ask the service center about it next time I'm in.

How about climate controls? In auto mode, they don't even bother to show the current state. In manual, now it just shows "Manual" and requires an additional press of the tab to bring up the display. I do not consider this to be "moved" functionality but rather "removed" functionality altogether.

I agree it was better to show the custom climate settings on the main screen, but I don't very often change the climate controls from Auto. For me, it's not a big deal to hit one button to see the settings if it says Custom. I probably only want to see them if there's something wrong (fogging windows, too hot/cold/windy/noisy...), in which case I need to open that pop-up to fix it anyway.

I think of it this way: if I had just bought this car, would I be able to figure out how to use it and get used to it? If so, I can figure it out after a software update. But losing something completely feels like a step backwards.