Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rebooted the MCU after Slacker went belly up after a trip through a tunnel.

Tesla Pittsburgh on Twitter:

I have not rebooted the driver screen... in fact, I don't think I've EVER rebooted the driver screen. Hm. Does it really control/affect anything of substance in these regards?
Whenever something funky happens, rebooting usually fixes it. However it won't help the heat problem--that's a software issue.

Sleep mode has been the cause of some problems. Unfortunately, in the latest releases, Tesla disabled the ability to turn sleep mode off. It now appears that sleep mode is always enabled overnight - and all you can control is daytime sleep mode.

How on earth am I supposed to recommend anyone buy this car when it can't even provide heat when needed?

It can provide heat, it just doesn't do so at what you consider a reasonable set temp... but your statement is misleading.

It's not misleading at all when you expect the heater to work as it does in almost every other modern production vehicle, and it doesn't. As far as I'm concerned, it's broken.

Heat in my car works only if it is turned all the way up (HIGH) otherwise my feet are cold

My older VIN just had a service bulletin applied to it that changed out the vent panel down by my toes. It's not freezing here anymore, but I can feel the airflow down there significantly improved. If the air is blowing hot at least, this should be a big improvement.

Sleep mode used to be disabled when energy saving was off and always connected was off.

But in one of the recent releases they changed that. On page 62 of the latest owners manual, "OFF. Model S shifts to the energy-saving mode at night (10PM to 5AM)".

So OFF is no longer OFF - it is really OVERNIGHT. They really need to add an "OFF" that turns sleep mode completely off. In most cases, when people have their cars plugged in overnight, enabling sleep mode doesn't produce that much energy savings - so why have the car turn off?

Since first implementing sleep mode 3 years ago, Tesla has had problems, especially with the media player app, when the car resumes from sleep. And the easy fix has been to disable sleep mode completely.

But they broke that in the recent releases (6.2?) - which is why many people were reporting the audio system running by itself overnight and discovering that their USB music had positioned to different songs when they started the car in the morning. And for the people who were using USB to play audiobooks - wanting to stay at the same position in their audio file, there wasn't any way to work around this problem.

It's changes like this and other changes like the placement of time/temperature or removing the audio source selector which raises into question how much review is being done by these changes - before they are released.

TESLA - please change OFF to OVERNIGHT and add a real OFF for the energy saving feature...

It's not doing a reboot - because the current song playing on USB seems to be lost each time there is a reboot.

While it's possible they are rebooting something overnight - it's not the touchscreen software - which appears to only go into sleep mode - and they still don't have sleep/resume working with the media player - since I'm still noticing problems (such as changing the media source selection occasionally).

If they can't get this right - what about features like autopilot, summons and autoparking???

Hmm. Takes about the same amount of time for my IC to boot from sleep as it does when I hold down the buttons for reboot.

Not for me. (I do, however, have the "always connected" checkbox enabled).

I get in the car, and I have center console in something like 5 seconds... 10 tops. From memory, I'd guess a reboot is something like 30-45 seconds with a good portion of that with the Tesla "T" boot image displayed. Once that happens it's another 30 seconds before 3G comes online.

Again, that's from memory for me, so I can test specifically, but the gap is large enough that I'm pretty sure they are not about the same for me.

Last edited: