Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new slider under charging is really difficult to use and a step backword. Why the complex graphics and miniscule slider button.

I totally agree. I got my update two days ago and spent about 30 minutes last night scrolling through this thread about all of the other issues with this release. I was surprised that no one had commented on the charging slider graphics. I mean, I can barely read the charging slider now. This is not an improvement. The old slider was so easy to read and visually was fine. Who could possibly have concluded this was such an improvement (it's not) to be worth the programming effort to change it?

I don't like the new voice control. It automatically calls the person whose name it thinks you said, but that's often wrong, and so it went right to dialing a random acquaintance from my contact list. And I didn't know how to cancel it with the new steering controls. I also don't like that the auto-dialing prevents us from using the call command to then navigate to a contact's address.

Also, can anyone get Slacker to play "U2"? No matter how I pronounce it, it automatically starts a comedy skit about "YouTube".

I just don't see what they actually improved in the media player at all - except for Streaming stuff - which nobody uses because they certainly have their own solutions.
This is just a bad an assumption as the one Tesla apparently made in assuming no one really uses the USB music interface. Clearly many, many people love the streaming options in the car. You frequently see it high on people's favorite features. I don't find it particularly compelling, either, but there can be no question that a large number of owners use it.

I totally agree. I got my update two days ago and spent about 30 minutes last night scrolling through this thread about all of the other issues with this release. I was surprised that no one had commented on the charging slider graphics. I mean, I can barely read the charging slider now. This is not an improvement. The old slider was so easy to read and visually was fine. Who could possibly have concluded this was such an improvement (it's not) to be worth the programming effort to change it?
I fumbled with this for a bit as well, but kind of liked the definitive increments provided by the left/right arrows. I kind of like to track my range over time, and knowing it got set to the right place is nice. No more of the "is that right on the trip line and 90%, or just under it and 89%?" game.

I think you can just poke and drag directly on the big battery, right? I don't have the car right now to test. I don't think you have to actually hit the slider thing anymore.

Hmm. No, but I do keep the seat belt plugged in since it minimizes the seat belt rattle on that side.

I'll see if that is the issue. Wasn't a 7.1 issue...

Well they said a new feature of 8.0 was keeping the screen and A/C on if a passenger stayed in the passenger seat. We were wondering if they used the weight sensor or not, and someone said that it appeared they didn't. So maybe you found the trick, they are using the seatbelt. :)

Reactions: Cyclone
Based on all of these comments I don't think I'll download 8.0 when it's made available to me. Sound like a major step backwards or maybe into a black hole. This is what happens when graphic design takes precedent over functionality.

As a graphic designer for over 15 years who also owned a boutique branding studio in Seattle for four years, I can tell you that version 8 is to good graphic design like McDonalds is to fine dining. In my mind it's a terrible situation - bad design combined with reduced usability. Worst of all worlds.

Another hidden update that I haven't seen discussed here after a quick search is that the climate control temp steps down lower than before. Previously, I'm pretty sure the lowest temp you could select was 64 degrees before jumping to "Lo". Now it steps down to 60 degrees before jumping to "Lo". Nice addition when you want to really cool it down without full-on blast and the associated compressor buzzing...

I got a couple of failed update messages on my phone recently (probably just because our wifi signal is really poor in the garage), but we never got a prompt to schedule the update in the car. Really weird. I wonder if it was supposed to be the 8.0 update? We are still on the latest 7.1.

Based on all of these comments I don't think I'll download 8.0 when it's made available to me. Sound like a major step backwards or maybe into a black hole. This is what happens when graphic design takes precedent over functionality.

I won't make that decision based on a thread like this which is mainly just an outlet to whine. I am very happy with it as is, I suspect, most users.

I don't like the new voice control. It automatically calls the person whose name it thinks you said, but that's often wrong, and so it went right to dialing a random acquaintance from my contact list. And I didn't know how to cancel it with the new steering controls. I also don't like that the auto-dialing prevents us from using the call command to then navigate to a contact's address.
Definitely agree, so much so that I'm afraid to use this "call so and so" feature. I want the name displayed before the car dials the number, so I can see that the car heard the name correctly. Either that, or I need to make sure I have two numbers for every contact, so when the car gives me the choice of numbers I can see it chose the correct person.

Well they said a new feature of 8.0 was keeping the screen and A/C on if a passenger stayed in the passenger seat. We were wondering if they used the weight sensor or not, and someone said that it appeared they didn't. So maybe you found the trick, they are using the seatbelt. :)

That might very well be it. As soon as I unplugged the front passenger seat belt, the console turned off after I closed the door. Duplicated it again with another drive. Neat feature, but I could see myself forgetting. Perhaps there is an upper time limit.

Will have to try it with the back seat belt or driver belt....

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver and MP3Mike
So if the alphabetic listing is gone from the media app, how do you get to what you want to listen to? My wife, like so many of you, has so much music on the USB stick that the alphabetic listing is a necessity. You can't really use the alpha listing while driving, but we frequently use it as the passenger or just when stopped somewhere. I can't imagine trying to scroll through the entire listing without a quick way to jump around.

Taking away the alphabetic listing to jump through them makes absolutely no sense. I have hundreds of songs on the usb and the only way to search is by scrolling is idiotic.

Taking away the alphabetic listing to jump through them makes absolutely no sense. I have hundreds of songs on the usb and the only way to search is by scrolling is idiotic.

Full scroll for songs, albums, artists...:( The USB search functionality has taken a huge step backwards.

Personally, I really don't like the new media interface at all. My wife took the car yesterday, and when she got back I asked her how she liked the new software -- her first response was that it's waaayyyy too busy. I agree. Sometimes simple is good. I miss 7.x.

And I've had 15 or 20 songs just stop part way through even though they were fully buffered, and I've had a couple just not even begin to buffer (then just skip to the next) when listening to Slacker radio. These things I'm less concerned with because I know it's not just me and it's a bug Tesla will fix.