Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, maybe I had too much expresso this morning.... But does ANYONE think that the EAP cadre did well?

In fairness, none of us know what the EAP testing showed up or how Tesla reacted to it or how they plan to react. Relevance of any subset of users to the wider group of owners can never be perfect.

Just reading through the thread(s) it seems to me (unscientifically) that the users with the biggest media player issues are those who seem to most frequently listen to enormous libraries on USB. I have no idea how that reflects in terms of average usage; for my 2c I'll just say that I have a limited number of songs (maybe ~700) on the USB, it indexed once and has been smooth and easy ever since. Overall I listen to XM, TuneIn or Streaming most often and the UI is much improved over the old version; my one wish would be to get the channel descriptors on XM station favorites buttons.

Yeah, the "workaround" for this is to hit the search "Anything" button, and the song you requested is already typed in there, so then you could which artist you meant.

I hope they find a good way to fix this, if not, it's not a huge deal, just a minor annoyance.

They could do it like Waze pop ups. When speaking a search, use the 7.1 pop-up, and if no response in XYZ seconds, automatically choose the first response. But they never asked me for my input!

Reactions: Max*
They did break one more feature of the media player/voice recognition, which I'm sure they thought they were fixing.

When you [voice] request a song "Play xxx", previously it would provide you a list of songs with title xxx, and you could chose which artist you meant.
Now, it plays the first song with title xxx. If it's a popular song, sure, it saves "time" and "effort" that it just works. If it's a less than popular song, you need to go find it.
Yes! I found that yesterday. My son is learning the sax and wanted to hear Glen Miller's "In the Mood" but it played "In the Mood" by Robert Plant. I had no choice (not that I minded. Excellent song). Only the typed in search allows a choice.

Good to email, but I think the plan for the new radar system is for the software to automatically record where it hit the brakes and if the user over-rides the braking to record that as well.
This way the fleet learns that that spot doesn't need braking for that particular radar response.
I think in the early days of 8.0 we are going to see a fair bit of this ....

Actually Elon said that initially with 8.0 that it wouldn't actually trigger AEB braking from the radar, but that it would say radar says I should, but the driver didn't and there was no collision, so if other drivers have the same issue at the same spot we can whitelist the spot. Once there is enough whitelisting they can enable the radar primary AEB feature.

So I assume it was the camera that triggered his AEB. (Assuming it was AEB, and not just aggressive TACC.)

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
It's not, because I have 1100 artists..... same problem, slow scrolling, accidental click on wrong artist, back out, then start over at the top.
Really rough calculation, but if you have 1100 artists and let's say average 1.3 albums per artist and average 12 songs per album and 4 min per song, that's .... scribble scribble ... carry the 4 ....
1144 hours of non-stop no-repeat music, driving at 50mph would take you 57,200 miles.
That's quite a mix tape!

They did break one more feature of the media player/voice recognition, which I'm sure they thought they were fixing.

When you [voice] request a song "Play xxx", previously it would provide you a list of songs with title xxx, and you could chose which artist you meant.
Now, it plays the first song with title xxx. If it's a popular song, sure, it saves "time" and "effort" that it just works. If it's a less than popular song, you need to go find it.
It's as if the only option Google gave you was "I'm feeling lucky".

Yes.. it does indeed sound simple. That was the point of my comment. There's no way the car should be able to "drive you off the road" if your hands are on the wheel and you're ready to take over.

I'm fine with people saying it's more squirrelly (and I agree, based on 150 miles of testing) but let's not get too dramatic with the claims.
I tried AP on a two lane road when I first got the upgrade. The road had been re-striped in the last two weeks. It drove off the road and onto the shoulder three times. My hands were firmly on the wheel so I was ready to respond. I waited as long as I could safely wait before taking over so I could test whether it would recover. It did not recover before I felt is it was prudent to take back over. This was a road I travel almost daily so maybe the data base will learn and it will get better.

On a separate note, I was hoping the nav system would be better. Before the upgrade, when I reached an intersection five miles from home it would want to take me on a route that added 10 miles and 20 minutes. Now it has changed. It waits until I get 3 miles from home (where the old system would work) and wants to take me on a totally new route which again adds 10 miles and 20 minutes. Is the Nav system supposed to learn? I know when I set the Nav to home on a longer trip, that I will arrive 20 minutes and 10 miles less than the system projects (along with an additional 2-3% range). Anyone else having similar problems with the V8 Nav?

How is this possible if your hands were on the wheel and you were paying attention?

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly. The car was in autopilot, and then it turned off the road. The reason that I'm here typing this message is that turned the wheel back to point the car back at the road. Was that not clear? I then tried in 2 more times, and it happened consistently again on roads that it had previously worked well on. The issue is that the autopilot turned off the road during clear visibility.

I tried AP on a two lane road when I first got the upgrade. The road had been re-striped in the last two weeks. It drove off the road and onto the shoulder three times. My hands were firmly on the wheel so I was ready to respond. I waited as long as I could safely wait before taking over so I could test whether it would recover. It did not recover before I felt is it was prudent to take back over. This was a road I travel almost daily so maybe the data base will learn and it will get better.

On a separate note, I was hoping the nav system would be better. Before the upgrade, when I reached an intersection five miles from home it would want to take me on a route that added 10 miles and 20 minutes. Now it has changed. It waits until I get 3 miles from home (where the old system would work) and wants to take me on a totally new route which again adds 10 miles and 20 minutes. Is the Nav system supposed to learn? I know when I set the Nav to home on a longer trip, that I will arrive 20 minutes and 10 miles less than the system projects (along with an additional 2-3% range). Anyone else having similar problems with the V8 Nav?

Learning? lol

Ok, but seriously, is this an undivided curvey hilly 2-lane road where AP sucks? Or is this some large straight highway where AP is failing?

Reactions: JenniferQ
Whoa, I wonder how Tesla can get data from these weird "drive off road" reports, assuming they are real. AP 8.0 has been quite solid for me, but I just drive normal roads in the Bay Area.

Also, it may be that Tesla completely underestimated how many people are using giant USB music collections. From TMC complaint volume, it looks like 95% of drivers have massive USB collections. Tesla surely knows USB implementation sucks right now (our dear Ingineer complained during the beta) but decided it was too small a slice of the population to hold back the redesign. Let's hope 8.1 straightens it out.

Learning? lol

Ok, but seriously, is this an undivided curvey hilly 2-lane road where AP sucks? Or is this some large straight highway where AP is failing?
Yesterday I drove a section of I-80 with a central median barrier which is about 1 foot from the edge of the road. Several times AP tried to steer me into the barrier. I didn't want to wait and see if it would actually hit the barrier so I disabled it.
This did not happen in 7.1, just my new 8.0 (108). Other episodes yesterday include getting too close to a truck to the right of me several times. I think AP is worse in this new version.

Whoa, I wonder how Tesla can get data from these weird "drive off road" reports, assuming they are real. AP 8.0 has been quite solid for me, but I just drive normal roads in the Bay Area.

Also, it may be that Tesla completely underestimated how many people are using giant USB music collections. From TMC complaint volume, it looks like 95% of drivers have massive USB collections. Tesla surely knows USB implementation sucks right now (our dear Ingineer complained during the beta) but decided it was too small a slice of the population to hold back the redesign. Let's hope 8.1 straightens it out.

Or they know exactly how many people use it (which they can very easily glean), and it's just the people who do use it most who are most upset and vocal. With 100000+ cars, all it takes is 1% usage which is 1000 people. Now get 50 of them on the forum upset.

Reactions: bmah and JenniferQ
Learning? lol

It is a challenging road but the old AP would work because the lines were clearly visible. I wanted to see if the v8 system was any better. It was worse. The old system never took me off the paved surface.

How will this differ from current "camper" mode -- shift to N, turn on parking brake via Controls -- which leaves car turned on, including HVAC?

That camper mode can't be engaged while the charging port is open. It's not possible to shift into neutral. And, once in camper mode, you can't open the charging door (at least on my March 2015 S85D) to plug in charger

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
OMG, I feel for you....

Have all of you noticed that not one EAP participant has chimed in?
They should not, IMHO.
Really POOR POOR job, did they do.
If I were Tesla's quality control director, I think it would be prudent to find some owners who really CARE and bring them into the EAP fold.

Ok, maybe I had too much expresso this morning.... But does ANYONE think that the EAP cadre did well?

Or worse yet, maybe they did do well and this is the result.... Shudder to think that way.

And BTW, I am usually a really positive guy...

EAP?