Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always though the 17.even.xx was AP1 and 17.odd.xx was AP2 and not related to the week which it was released. Owning an AP2 model x, I always notice that I get the odd numbered updates and not the even.

I think that was only the case until Tesla got all cars on the same code base. Which is why 17.14.23 has been deployed to all car types/ages. (But we always thought the middle digit was the week.)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I got the new update, 17.14.35. Nothing new in release notes. I was just at the service center for my pedal install and they pushed it to the car.

Thanks Erik

FB_IMG_1492713875570.jpg
FB_IMG_1492713881038.jpg

I gave back my 2 day loaner car. It was a p85d with AP1. I must say AP1 works much better than my AP2 . Keeps you in the lane better and nags you much less about holding the steering wheel. Lane changing also works better and quicker.

I hope AP2 can catch up. I had plenty of driving on the 5 freeway to compare both hardware versions. AP1 at the moment is superior.

That's great news.

I can't, though, fully agree with the quoted article's contention that HW2 "wasn’t at feature parity with the first generation Autopilot, primarily because of the lack of Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) feature." There are many other features either not implemented or poorly implemented in AP2.

That said, AEB is certainly the most important missing safety feature.

That's great news.

I can't, though, fully agree with the quoted article's contention that HW2 "wasn’t at feature parity with the first generation Autopilot, primarily because of the lack of Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) feature." There are many other features either not implemented or poorly implemented in AP2.

That said, AEB is certainly the most important missing safety feature.

Completely agreed. I almost feel like Fred is cutting Tesla too much slack to the point of sounding non-objective. It takes maybe 20 seconds of enabling AP on AP1 vs AP2 to get the feeling that they are not at parity even with the currently enabled sub-features. I've done a pretty thorough review of 17.11.10 on AP1 vs AP2 and after 1200 miles, I still stand by those opinions. AP2 is doing pretty well on the highway, but it still has many many more quirks compared to AP1 when put in slightly challenging situations, even on the freeways.

Reactions: bhzmark
I need an update, baby, and I need it bad! I feel like I got bugs crawling on my skin! :oops:

Seriously, though, I hope they add a paint fill tool to the sketch pad Easter Egg app. I mean ... c'mon!

No kidding. I haven't had an update since 3/29 when I got 17.11.3. Seems like several updates skipped me altogether.