TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Fixing Rock Chips in Glass Roof!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Cdis94, Jan 5, 2019.

1. pandam3

pandam3 Member

+ 1 this is something easily fixed with windshield repair kit from the local autoparts store in 20 to 30 minutes. In my area they are $15 ish.

On older cars I've had instances where the windshield chips and after heat cycling the windshield cracks if I don't get around to repairing in time.

So now I just carry a spare windshield repair kit in all my cars so I can do it during my lunch break. In fact the last time I had to do this, I went to several autoparts stores that where out of stock. So now I just hoard a bunch of repair kits. Seems that there is just a lot of debris in the carpool lane during my commute. (Cars ahead of me crossing the double yellow kicking up debri and work trucks with poorly secured loads scattering debris behind them... I even extend my autopilot following distance to 7 hoping other cars get ahead of me to act as a shield however they see it too and don't want to be a shield)

• Funny x 1
  2. Jffurlan

Jffurlan Member

Literally just had a similar event happen: golf ball sized rock fell from dump truck and kicked up by truck in front of me. Hit right above the camera in the middle of the sun roof.

Thankfully Tesla mobile service is coming tomorrow to look at something else so I’ll inquire with him, but I’m curious if anyone thinks this is worth replacing the glass or getting it repaired?

FFF9C8E2-0891-4D4F-9932-0D16D006C5E2.jpeg C83A9479-F122-43CA-A003-47EA9E1C3CFF.jpeg

Attached Files:

3. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

Don't wait too long, that crack could extend.

I find it hard to believe a $15 DIY kit would work as well as the results the OP got.

Yours looks a lot like the OP's level of damage. Looks like it's worth a shot.

4. Jffurlan

Jffurlan Member

Yeah, I’m going to have to deal with it soon. So upset, Model 3 is less than 2 months old with less than 2000km. Truck wasn’t even in my lane, rock bounced over and under the vehicle in front of me. I guess the bright side is if I hadn’t been so far back it would have been a more direct hit on the windshield.

5. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

I got a similar chip in my all glass Model S roof in the first 500 miles. So pissed.

Had a local glass shop I trust come out the next day and fill it just like they would a windshield chip. It’s all but invisible now except under very specific lighting conditions and has held strong for 80,000 miles. Best $40 spent so far.

Tesla will want to replace the whole panel. Worst case with a glass shop the fill procedure causes the crack to spread or it doesn’t hold and you... replace the whole panel. For me the $40 experiment was an easy decision.

6. halfricanguy

halfricanguy Model 3 - LR RWD - MSM

I had a similar chip in my windshield. Went to Safelite and they used the same method and it looks great, happy to see this would work for the glass roof.

BTW talk to your insurance first. I have Geico and they work directly with Safelite. They would rather pay for the window repair rather than dealing with an insurance claim. So they paid for my Safelite repair with no deductible.

7. GreenMtnM3

GreenMtnM3 Member

Be careful, I have Geico as well, and when my windshield was chipped by a stone they recommended I have Safelite come out to repair it. They waive the deductible for the repair. After 15 minutes of working on it, the tech told me that the repair 'failed' and instead of a 1/16" chip, I had an 18" crack. He said that they would order the windshield from Tesla. The next day I got a call from Safelite to schedule the replacement for the following week. I asked them if they could get the windshield that fast. They told me that they had 2 in stock. The next day someone else from Safelite called to tell me that it would be a few weeks, they don't have any windshield and she did not know the customer service person that called me the prior day or why he called me (despite me providing his name). That was 3 weeks ago. I called today, and they told me it will be another 3 weeks or so, The crack has grown another 6" in the mean time.

I don't think I'll be repair chips in the future...

• Helpful x 1
  8. KimmyJ

KimmyJ New Member

Just had my model 3 glass roof repaired at safelight. Picked up a small rock chip, approximately 1cm across. Only owned the car for 3 weeks! My first new car to boot. Anyways, I’m thankful for this forum as I needed to push safelight into even seeing the car. Luckily a great technician there had done this before and fixed it. The repair is not visible unless the sun refracts through both the glass and repair resin at just the right angle. I have some pics, chip is not visible in the before pic (looking down into the roof) But it was small and round and showing the most minute spidering. The after shot is looking up through the roof where the chip was. Will look into possibly wrapping the roof with protective film of some sort to stave off these small chips.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  9. KimmyJ

KimmyJ New Member

Well guys, that repair has spidered. Noticed it yesterday. Still can’t get a good pic but there is now 2, one inch long cracks extending toward the hood and the other toward the rear of the car. Called my insurance company and my local service center. Off to get a new roof. :/ I hear I shouldn’t hold my breath.

• Informative x 1