Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Post Delivery Notes...
A couple of things stuck in my mind yesterday. Tesla has a unique buying experience. I put this together to provide us Florida folks a smooth experience. Mine was great, just a couple of bumps.

When you get your VIN...
Start talking with the delivery team. It's now in their hands. When you get your VIN, your vehicle is inbound, about 10-14 days till delivery.

Screw Wells Fargo...
We did a cash transaction. Plaid, Tesla's wire transfer protocol does not talk with WF. That's on WF. Mrs. 'Cane and I had to leave and go to a local branch to get an Offical Check cut. The weather was a beast. I'm done with that bank.

Hartford Insurance does not insure Teslas...
Found that morning of delivery. Not a big deal, but annoying since I've been with them for years.

Fit & Finish?
Perfect. I had a real good talk with Craig in Delivery about this. About 3 months ago, Tesla made a push to get this fixed once and for all. I studied the known problem areas...the rear hatch alignment and door handles are flush and even. Overall, I am impressed.

Notable...
• The audio system is awesome...the best I ever had in a car.
• Watching the Autopilot system on the drive home learn and the screen visualizations materialize made me think of Skynet.

😎

Tampa,
Ordered 9/28 ETA now Jan 20 still no VIN ?
You can get a general sense of where they are by the dates of VINs. So far it looks like they are still fulfilling July orders and are starting August. There’s a separate delivery forum and based on the vin announcements, they’re not doing September orders yet. There are a couple random Septembers but it might not be till later this month or next before they get to September orders.

@Vladimir*22 - I ordered a Model Y Long Range Black with Black interior, 20" wheels and a tow hitch.

I placed the order on 7/19 and filled out the rest of the information (insurance, payment, etc about a week after). At the time it said delivery was October. Much like many here my dates jumped around a lot, Oct, Dec, Jan, Oct, Nov, Dec, then the dates narrowed and a VIN a few days after.

If you have an order in and you are truly buying the car, I was informed insurance, license, and payment need to be in the system. Sounded like that prioritizes you to a list versus being a deposit paid tire kicker.
Yes, completing your profile with registration, insurance and payment info put you on the ready list for delivery. Suggestion is to set cash as the payment till you get a vin before switching to loan so your credit is not pulled every 60 days.

Reactions: Hurricane4911
The problem with the yoke is that it maintains the traditional 300 degree turn-to-lock. It really should be no more than 180 degrees. It's pretty awkward from what I've seen. Toyota, of all companies is finally stepping into full EVs. They demonstrated a yoke with the proper turn angle. I would love a yoke plus a true drive-by-wire, but I am not a fan of how Tesla implemented this.
That 180 deg range is going to take a lot of getting used to. A right turn would only need about a 90deg turn and a lot less for passing cars or trying to swerve to avoid a pothole. People are going to be overturning the wheels till they get used to it. Pilots maybe not. Lol

I either did something really smart or really stupid.

The price of selling cars is at an all-time high so I will make money on my Durango by getting rid of it.

My EDD is Feb-Mar, so my expectation is that everyone will come off hold Jan 1 2022 and from what I understand, not confirmed, that they go to the front of the line. So, if that is true, I will probably get pushed further out.

I ordered a Model 3 LR that is inbound to Ft Lauderdale with no buyer, they have I think 4 or 5 more, once Im ready for the MY I get rid of Model 3 use that as $$$ plus tax credits for MYLR and its basically renting a car for free. SA said I can actually hold now until June which means I should get an Austin Model Y build with 1 piece front and rear.

I am 6 foot tall so getting in and out of a Model 3 is a little challenging but once I'm in its very comfortable. I jumped out of the 3 right into a MY and OMG so much room. Once I get the hang of it should be no issue, just coming from the Durango to a small car is just a learning curve I guess

One note on trading in with Tesla vs anyone else in Florida, whatever you get for your trade in comes off the top of your new car therefor reducing the taxes on your new car.

There was a couple picking up their MX Red/White. Beautiful car. I watched them open and close the falcon wings, SO COOL !!!!!! But not $100,000 cool. 😊

Last edited:
Reactions: RainbowStars
I either did something really smart or really stupid.

The price of selling cars is at an all-time high so I will make money on my Durango by getting rid of it.

My EDD is Feb-Mar, so my expectation is that everyone will come off hold Jan 1 2022 and from what I understand, not confirmed, that they go to the front of the line. So, if that is true, I will probably get pushed further out.

I ordered a Model 3 LR that is inbound to Ft Lauderdale with no buyer, they have I think 4 or 5 more, once Im ready for the MY I get rid of Model 3 use that as $$$ plus tax credits for MYLR and its basically renting a car for free. SA said I can actually hold now until June which means I should get an Austin Model Y build with 1 piece front and rear.

I am 6 foot tall so getting in and out of a Model 3 is a little challenging but one I'm in its very comfortable. I jumped out of the 3 right into a MY and OMG so much room. Once I get the hang of it should be no issue, just coming from the Durango to a small car is just a learning curve I guess

One note on trading in with Tesla vs anyone else in Florida, whatever you get for your trade in comes off the top of your new car therefor reducing the taxes on your new car.

There was a couple picking up their MX Red/White. Beautiful car. I watched them open and close the falcon wings, SO COOL !!!!!! But not $100,000 cool. 😊

While your plan sounds reasonable... there are a few hiccups

1) Tesla offers the LOWEST in Tesla trade-ins. So bad in fact that you are basically forced to sell to Carvana, CarMax, Vroom. So no tax savings... sorry. Wave bye to $2-3K in savings.
2) Tesla resale in certain parts of Florida aren't great. The price you get depends on the zipcode. Since you are South Florida, you probably will get a solid offer.
3) Model 3 LR prices are the at highest ever. Buying now and selling later will definitely lose you money (some) because of the tax and fee loss. Most folks who make money on the Model 3 have bought well under the current price ($4K to $6K less). With the tax credit looming... or once passed/signed... used prices will fall. The Model 3 LR isn't as high demand as the other Teslas either (lower wait times).

I am in your situation too... with a demo MYLR acquired two weeks ago and loving it. The MYLR price has risen $3K in 3 weeks and when I resell - I expect to lose up to $2K to $4K in the process instead if I waited to the 2,3,4,5,6 months (who knows) until the tax credit passed and my red/white MYLR became available.

Reactions: Vladimir*22

1) Tesla offers the LOWEST in Tesla trade-ins. So bad in fact that you are basically forced to sell to Carvana, CarMax, Vroom. So no tax savings... sorry. Wave bye to $2-3K in savings.
2) Tesla resale in certain parts of Florida aren't great. The price you get depends on the zipcode. Since you are South Florida, you probably will get a solid offer.
3) Model 3 LR prices are the at highest ever. Buying now and selling later will definitely lose you money (some) because of the tax and fee loss. Most folks who make money on the Model 3 have bought well under the current price ($4K to $6K less). With the tax credit looming... or once passed/signed... used prices will fall. The Model 3 LR isn't as high demand as the other Teslas either (lower wait times).

I am in your situation too... with a demo MYLR acquired two weeks ago and loving it. The MYLR price has risen $3K in 3 weeks and when I resell - I expect to lose up to $2K to $4K in the process instead if I waited to the 2,3,4,5,6 months (who knows) until the tax credit passed and my red/white MYLR became available.
I’m waiting on both a MS and a MY. It looks like the MY is arriving first, so I might just cancel the MS. The MY will be a little more practical. I just wish that it had a better ride. The Model S has gone up about $10,000 since I ordered, but I doubt I’d make any money on resale.

Good observations - but I still think its worth the risk. I plan on getting a Carmax offer and see if tesla will match - probably wont. I was going to go used but the price was actually higher than a new one which make no sense. One thing that really made me go for it was I have never owned a EV so there is going to be a learning curve, the weird braking, Autopilot, charging, trying to see really how far I can drive , using supercharges and probably a lot of other things I am missing. Why not learn on something I dont plan on keeping.

I know its not that big of a difference but its something.

Reactions: voxel
I’m waiting on both a MS and a MY. It looks like the MY is arriving first, so I might just cancel the MS. The MY will be a little more practical. I just wish that it had a better ride. The Model S has gone up about $10,000 since I ordered, but I doubt I’d make any money on resale.

To me, if you can break even after driving the Model S for 3-6 months... that's a win.

I saw a chart of Tesla resale values ... all models appreciated over the past year except one: Model 3 Performance. There wasn't any price hikes (or very minor) and wait times were only a month so used prices were lower than new M3P.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond
Good observations - but I still think its worth the risk. I plan on getting a Carmax offer and see if tesla will match - probably wont. I was going to go used but the price was actually higher than a new one which make no sense. One thing that really made me go for it was I have never owned a EV so there is going to be a learning curve, the weird braking, Autopilot, charging, trying to see really how far I can drive , using supercharges and probably a lot of other things I am missing. Why not learn on something I dont plan on keeping.

I know its not that big of a difference but its something.

Tesla won't match. I had multiple offers for my ID.4 that were $2K higher than Tesla's trade in and they didn't budge. At least I got the tax savings...
In general these vendors will pay you $4K less than what they sell on their site. Sometimes a little more if you are in a hot market and they don't have to ship or send to auction.

Tesla often offer up to $10K less than online vendors. It's insane. You might as well trade your Model 3 for a non-Tesla and trade that to Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
Tesla won't match. I had multiple offers for my ID.4 that were $2K higher than Tesla's trade in and they didn't budge. At least I got the tax savings...
In general these vendors will pay you $4K less than what they sell on their site. Sometimes a little more if you are in a hot market and they don't have to ship or send to auction.

Tesla often offer up to $10K less than online vendors. It's insane. You might as well trade your Model 3 for a non-Tesla and trade that to Tesla.
I checked KBB and know what they say I should get for the Durango - definitely going to shop around since I have almost a month before it supposed to be here.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

I checked KBB and know what they say I should get for the Durango - definitely going to shop around since I have almost a month before it supposed to be here.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

KBB is useless. I never got a single offer close to it. And Carvana and CarMax are always showing "Great deal, $3K below KBB"

Auction prices are high. I wish I could get auction numbers but I would need dealer license or something. Dealers are offering below this so they can make a profit on the sale at auction. In reality, from my experience from CarMax, Vroom, Carvana, CarbuyerUSA is that they want a $2K profit on your car before auction (at least).... often more ($3-4K).

1636224776203.png

1636224838021.png

@Hurricane4911 Couple of questions since you just got your new Y.
Do they give you a premium Spotify account for a period?
How about the in car internet for a period?

I was about to sign up for a paid spotify account, but don't want to jump the gun if it is free for a bit.
30 days premium connectivity with the MYLR (for orders after 10/15) which is just the internet/traffic/video-streaming/etc. and not Spotify.

*⁺ A paid subscription to streaming services is required to access music and media streaming

Reactions: S-Faan