Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Unlimited Supercharging back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who said that ? In the ER call, Musk said they don't know why the demand has fallen.

Well, the prevailing theory on this forum was that deliveries for the S/X dropped because it was not being refreshed and people were waiting for the Ravens. Well, this kind of shows that even the Ravens is not selling as much as desired. That is not to say it isn’t selling well, just maybe not up to the levels that Tesla wants it to be at.

Reactions: Sg911
I fixed a bug for you, it should be:

while()
{
delete($FEATURE)
sleep($RAND)
add($FEATURE)
sleep($RAND)​
}

Otherwise there's no delay between add and remove.

Thanks, I’m an old infrastructure admin turned worthless manager these days, been a while since I’ve had to debug any of my own terrible code. ;)

This is not as unsustainable as one may think, and is definitely not as burdensome as the original free for the life of the car.

People who buy $80k+ New cars typically don’t drive them to the ground, and only keep them maybe for 3-5 years, where the actual life of a car is about 20 years.

That combined with the tendency for people who can afford a high price car to highly value their time and more likely to own a home with garage means that SC during the first few years will likely be less used compared to more budget or needs driven later buyers.

From the above, I would estimate that free for 1st owner is at most 25% burden compared to free for car due to time alone. Likely closer to 10-15% factoring psych-economical factors.

If Tesla was really serious about selling more S and X cars they would update to battery packs to have the newer cells like the model 3 has today. Why is it that the top of the line car charges slower than the mid priced model 3 ?

When I look at the price of the AWD 3 and compare that to the Model S its about 32,000 USD more. For that money I get 370 miles of range as compared to 310 miles of range on the 3. Seems kind of pricey to me.

Update the Model S with a 420+ mile range and the same charging speed as the 3 and I will order one tomorrow.

Reactions: bhzmark
This is not as unsustainable as one may think, and is definitely not as burdensome as the original free for the life of the car.

People who buy $80k+ New cars typically don’t drive them to the ground, and only keep them maybe for 3-5 years, where the actual life of a car is about 20 years.

That combined with the tendency for people who can afford a high price car to highly value their time and more likely to own a home with garage means that SC during the first few years will likely be less used compared to more budget or needs driven later buyers.

From the above, I would estimate that free for 1st owner is at most 25% burden compared to free for car due to time alone. Likely closer to 10-15% factoring psych-economical factors.
I think you’re spot on, if I had to guess I think someone at tesla is thinking the same thing.

If Tesla was really serious about selling more S and X cars they would update to battery packs to have the newer cells like the model 3 has today. Why is it that the top of the line car charges slower than the mid priced model 3 ?

When I look at the price of the AWD 3 and compare that to the Model S its about 32,000 USD more. For that money I get 370 miles of range as compared to 310 miles of range on the 3. Seems kind of pricey to me.

Update the Model S with a 420+ mile range and the same charging speed as the 3 and I will order one tomorrow.

Range is definitely not the only difference. Many folks, including me, want a larger car than the 3. If Tesla only offered the 3, I would still be driving my hybrid ICE.

Range is definitely not the only difference. Many folks, including me, want a larger car than the 3. If Tesla only offered the 3, I would still be driving my hybrid ICE.

Yeah, I totally agree. I really love the tech of the 3, and honestly the design, the 3 does not fulfill all of my missions due to it's semi-compact size. The S or X do. If it were just me and my wife, the 3 would be a great road trip car. Add the two kids in, and it's a little tight. The S is phenomenal in that respect.

I think current range on the S is good. My 90D even with degradation is not a range problem. Honestly the FUSC that has now come back out is really starting to pique my interest in possibly upgrading out of the 90D... I said a few weeks ago on here that while 100% psychological, the FUSC is a huge deal maker/breaker for me. Now that they have it, it's got me thinking pretty hard now...

Well, the prevailing theory on this forum was that deliveries for the S/X dropped because it was not being refreshed and people were waiting for the Ravens. Well, this kind of shows that even the Ravens is not selling as much as desired. That is not to say it isn’t selling well, just maybe not up to the levels that Tesla wants it to be at.
every first year university student understands these basics of supply and demand -- the novelty and value proposition of the S and X has lost its novelty -- early adopters have adopted, and the flow of mainstream customers is choked by the limitations of Tesla as a vendor. It's all loosely termed "capacity to execute." Tesla has to resolve the ownership experience in order to draw through mainstream customers. The sales cycle includes "overcoming customer objections" (e.g. missing features like parking cameras, observable build quality defects, unsatisfactory value proposition, uncertainty such as charging and range) which Tesla continues to try to overcome with reality distortion field marketing (something Apple still does, but Tesla hasn't figured out the cult-of-Steve.)
The S and X are both great cars, but they have shortcomings and they don't meet customer expectations, so they don't sell beyond the niche 1% of enthusiast EV early adopters.
Make an X the same (price, performance) as a Ford Expedition or GM equivalent and it will sell 10,000 to 20,000 units instead of 5,000. That's all there is to it.
Even a Mercedes GL-something sells twice as many as Tesla.
Tesla simply doesn't have the product design and features that customers buy.
It's not something that Musk and Tesla don't know, they just don't have any way to fix the problem.
Even Porsche is laughing now -- their "sales have plummeted to lowest ever" Macan out-sells the Model X.
Tesla can't stand still for 3 years and keep saying "we're the leader!"

I thought EM said it was "unsustainable". What changed?

I think that was said in response to a question about free supercharging for the Model 3. As the Models S and X remain a relatively low volume premium offering within the Tesla stable, it makes a lot of sense to me to provide certain perks for those who buy the top of the line models. I'm sure it actually is sustainable in that regard. It would be a logistical and financial disaster to offer it on the Model 3.

every first year university student understands these basics of supply and demand -- the novelty and value proposition of the S and X has lost its novelty -- early adopters have adopted, and the flow of mainstream customers is choked by the limitations of Tesla as a vendor. It's all loosely termed "capacity to execute." Tesla has to resolve the ownership experience in order to draw through mainstream customers. The sales cycle includes "overcoming customer objections" (e.g. missing features like parking cameras, observable build quality defects, unsatisfactory value proposition, uncertainty such as charging and range) which Tesla continues to try to overcome with reality distortion field marketing (something Apple still does, but Tesla hasn't figured out the cult-of-Steve.)
The S and X are both great cars, but they have shortcomings and they don't meet customer expectations, so they don't sell beyond the niche 1% of enthusiast EV early adopters.
Make an X the same (price, performance) as a Ford Expedition or GM equivalent and it will sell 10,000 to 20,000 units instead of 5,000. That's all there is to it.
Even a Mercedes GL-something sells twice as many as Tesla.
Tesla simply doesn't have the product design and features that customers buy.
It's not something that Musk and Tesla don't know, they just don't have any way to fix the problem.
Even Porsche is laughing now -- their "sales have plummeted to lowest ever" Macan out-sells the Model X.
Tesla can't stand still for 3 years and keep saying "we're the leader!"

We were recently in an Atlanta Porsche dealership looking at Cayenne and Macan. They still had 2 new 2018’s left over! They’re closing out 2019’s and 2018’s at the same time. That doesn’t indicate strong demand to me.

I believe the vast majority of high-end buyers are still not ready to go EV. So, even if MS and MX had everything the ICE vehicles have, most Buyers would pass on Tesla.