Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the Elon jokes write themselves on this one but I talked to a source and I gave him my vin. He checked on it and he told me that the eta on tegra units is about 2 weeks. So I’ll say a month tops just for the extra time. He also told me I would’ve had it already if it wasn’t for the recall. So I guess those that got .11 were meant to get it. So they are working on it. This same person told me about the button and the first release and was right about both. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. Not trying to give anyone false hope. Just relaying info I was given. Good luck everyone. Hope we get it

Reactions: byeLT4
I was recently able to schedule an appointment to get my eMMC replaced AND the cameras. I thought I'd be thrilled this happened but after my experiences over the past several years I was expecting the worst. (or that they would cancel because of parts availability.)
Here's what happened:
The eMMC was replaced and my MCU1 seems to like it. I was able to bring up pages on the browser and the Owner's Manual worked. Neither of these things did anything for years. Of course there's the expected collateral damage. My glovebox doesn't open properly (found a couple T-20 screws in a cupholder) So I will attempt to fix these things myself since if I brought it back, they might break something else.
They ONLY replaced the repeater cameras (part numbers are correct [1495866/7-22-C] and the video from them looks different). When I asked why only the 2 cameras were replaced, the service adviser said they replace everything needed to make FSD work, ...??? Has anyone heard that one before???? Oh, BTW, one of the chrome covers on the repeater almost fell off on the way home (it was just holding on by the bottom, they are just taped into place) So after looking at it I think the gloss black repeater looks ok. They also chipped some paint around the left repeater. smh.
So I didn't get ALL the cameras, but .... I am making progress, ... LOL

Last edited:
If MCU1 cars can run FSD just fine, how come MCU2 cars had to get a new computer to fun FSD?
They had to get a new driving computer (HW2 or HW2.5 to HW3), but not a new MCU. The reason FSDb didn't roll out on MCU1 until December of last year was presumably because they had to spend considerable extra effort to support the FSDb visualizations on the instrument cluster.

For MCU1 hardware, the instrument cluster has an entirely separate computer, and talks to the MCU over Ethernet. For MCU2 hardware, the instrument cluster is just a second display attached directly to the MCU. So for MCU1, they would have needed to merge the FSDb visualization code into the branch of the visualization software that runs on the separate instrument cluster computer (which could be trivial or it could be a major rewrite, depending on how the networking works and how far the code has diverged), then presumably add code for the MCU to proxy the additional data and send it over the wire to the IC computer, then test it and make sure it is reliable.

Given that the MCU1 instrument cluster computers were rebooting on their own with alarming regularity for the better part of a year before the first 2022 release finally replaced the disaster that was there before, I'm guessing that last part — testing — was the biggest bottleneck. 😁

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
You're in the old-school group where you have a significant claim in a court due to the language used during the ordering process. At a minimum, the language said that Autosteer on City streets was coming by the end of the year instead of "Coming Soon". Find a lawyer and present the information to them - I'm sure you have a case and can get a full refund on your AP/EAP/FSD purchase, and perhaps some bonus money to upgrade the HW, MCU, and Cameras on the car.
I am one of the earliest adopters for purchasing FSD. There was a lawsuit and automatic payout to all early adopters for the reason you stated. The payout wasn't close to the cost, but was a payout. You could have opted out to reserve your right for further litigation.

Reactions: Dewg
You're in the old-school group where you have a significant claim...
No, I bought it during the super sale. I won't likely request money back. I'll just keep my car forever.

Did you get new cameras? I paid for MCU2/HW3 upgrade since I only had paid for EAP.
I supposedly got new cameras. Once the MCU1 beta resumes then if I don't get it, I'll ask to check the part numbers.

I am one of the earliest adopters for purchasing FSD. There was a lawsuit and automatic payout to all early adopters for the reason you stated. The payout wasn't close to the cost, but was a payout. You could have opted out to reserve your right for further litigation.

I don't think this is true?

There was a settlement for early buyers of EAP, not because they didn't get what they bought, but because it took longer than promised to get features turned on (they were turned on though)....but that had nothing to do with FSD which was a separate purchase for such people.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
When I asked why only the 2 cameras were replaced, the service adviser said they replace everything needed to make FSD work, ...??? Has anyone heard that one before????
Yes, depending on when your car was built some of the cameras may already be the correct version, so they wouldn't replace them. (And, from what I understand, they should be able to see if they are all the correct version in the Tesla Garage app.)

Reactions: pilotSteve
My car is early 2017 and the B pillar and front facing cameras are definitely RCCC.
When Tesla first upgraded the cameras on our 2017 Model S, they only swapped out the triple cam. The following year, we took it back in and they swapped the repeater cameras and B pillar cameras that they neglected to swap out the first time.

FSD doesn’t exist yet. So you don’t know if it will work fine later. FSDBeta is a work in progress and wasn’t available for MCU1 builds until recently.
Full disclosure...I'm just kidding here...

"Auto steer" and "auto wipers" don't exist either, so pretty much anything with the word "auto" or "full" doesn't exist. 😂

I don't think this is true?

There was a settlement for early buyers of EAP, not because they didn't get what they bought, but because it took longer than promised to get features turned on (they were turned on though)....but that had nothing to do with FSD which was a separate purchase for such people.
FSD and EAP was introduced at the same time. I purchased FSD straight away and received the payout. I don't remember the exact terms or wording but I do know it included the FSD purchasers. Since the features were in lock step for both purchasers at the time, it is a bit confusing. I wonder if that settlement absolves them future litigation.

FSD and EAP was introduced at the same time. I purchased FSD straight away and received the payout. I don't remember the exact terms or wording but I do know it included the FSD purchasers. Since the features were in lock step for both purchasers at the time, it is a bit confusing. I wonder if that settlement absolves them future litigation.
I went through a crazy amount of hoops to get out of that settlement. Notarized letter through registered mail "never showed up". So I had to do it twice.

I wouldn't doubt Tesla is going to point to that class action when new ones pop up.

FSD and EAP was introduced at the same time.

Sure, but that has nothing to do with the class action suit that was ONLY about EAP, not FSD.

I purchased FSD straight away and received the payout.

You received it for owning EAP.

Which was required to own in order to ALSO buy FSD.

Buying FSD made no difference at all to if you got the payout or not- only having bought EAP did.

I don't remember the exact terms or wording but I do know it included the FSD purchasers

It absolutely did not

. Since the features were in lock step for both purchasers at the time

This is not true.

EAP and FSD were separate purchases. You could buy EAP by itself... or you could buy EAP and also buy FSD.

The class action was ONLY about EAP features being delivered late- and only for EAP purchasers. All FSD buyers were ALSO FSD purchasers, so included due to that, not due to owning FSD.

It can't have involved FSD since at the time FSD had no specific features promised by any given date

, it is a bit confusing. I wonder if that settlement absolves them future litigation.

Since it had nothing to do with FSD it certainly does not.

And since EAP is feature complete (and has been for years) there'd be nothing further there to sue over.

In case you're still unclear here's an older purchase screen from years ago (it's for a Model 3, which wasn't in date range of the suit, but the feature/cost split was the same as we're discussing)- EAP on the left-- which if you bought it before a certain date you got the class action settlement because promised features were late.... and FSD on the right, as a SEPERATE purchase but only possible to purchase if you already owned FSD- and promising nothing by any specific date and for which $0.00 has been paid out on any class action to date.

eapvsfsd.PNG

Last edited: