Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been in the FSD Beta program since summer of last year, and while I've seen updates with significant improvements, so far my limited experience with 11.4.2 has shown more improvements than I've seen in any prior release.

(As always, YMMV).

We've all developed a feel for what FSD Beta can and can't do. And yes, experiences vary wildly, from "It works well and I use it a lot" to "I've cancelled my FSD subscription". We all have a personal list of situations and edge cases where it doesn't work well, or at all. So when I received the update, I took the car on a route I do frequently: my house to the gym and back. Prior FSD versions have handled this route with varying degrees of success, but the past several versions have demonstrated consistent problems at specific places that 11.4.2 seems to have resolved.

Improvement #1: The car must make two right-hand turns at stop signs to exit the housing division I live in. Visibility to the left is marginal on both turns. Heavy bushes block your view to the left of the first turn, and an uphill crest restricts visibility to the left on the second turn. Previous FSD iterations handled these turns by:

-- Stop well back of stop sign, confusing following drivers
-- Inching forward
-- Inching forward
-- "FSD creeping forward" notice on dash
-- Inching forward (car behind me honks)
-- Sudden, lunging acceleration into the turn.

With 11.4.2, the car pulls confidently up to the stop sign, makes a single, short forward motion to check traffic to the left, and then pulls smoothly and confidently through the turn.

Improvement #2: Lane choices are much better. Going to the gym, the car turns left onto a 3-lane street. In 2.5 blocks it will need to turn left to get onto the highway. With earlier FSD versions, the car would turn into the far left lane, then almost immediately move to the middle or right lane (which lanes seems to depend on traffic). Since traffic tends to back up at the freeway entrance, this often left the car in the wrong lane to get onto the highway, and it would miss the entrance since it couldn't merge into the existing line of cars.

With 11.4.2, the car turns into the left lane and stays there. A similar "wrong lane" situation occurs when I'm returning from the gym, with the car existing the highway to the right and moving into the far left lane when a right turn is coming up in 2 blocks. This also seems to have been resolved.

My experience has been limited so far but it's looking very good. The progress of FSD reminds me of the progress made in speech recognition: I was writing speech recognition software for the Apple ][ computers in the early 80s (yes, I'm that old). At the time you had to train the system on individual words, many repetitions of each word were involved, and the possible vocabulary was very small (10-15 words). Over the years the training sessions became faster and the vocabulary size increased. Sometime in the 90s we hit the point where you could dictate (Dragon Dictate, anyone?) as long as you paused..slightly...between..each..word. And you still had to read a few paragraphs to the computer first.

Now, my iPhone recognizes continuous speech in real time, completely on the device, with no training necessary. This wasn't heralded as a giant breakthrough; speech recognition just got incrementally better over time. FSD seems to be heading along the same path, but MUCH faster. I dunno if Elon will ever achieve L3 or above with the current setup, but 11.4.2 makes me optimistic it will at the least be a very useful feature.

I'm certain there will be people whose experiences are nowhere near as positive as mine. What's your experience with 11.4.x been?
screenshot-www.tesla.com-2023.06.05-18_47_38.png

I can't believe I forgot this one in my bullet list report yesterday, since it's rather a biggie, and very weird.

We were on a small street crossing a multilane bigger street. The light turned red as we approached the intersection, and the car stopped well. All good so far.

Then after a minute or so waiting at the red light, the car suddenly accelerated forward. The light was still red! There is no other light for another lane for it to have been confused about. Just a plain--unchanging--red light.

Of course I stomped on the brake.

Except for a right-on-red, I've never had it try to go once it was already stopped at a red. How about you?

Reactions: tivoboy and vanca
My 21 MSLR downloaded 2023.7.10 FSDb v11.4.2 last night and I was excited to drive it today and see the improvements. Sadly, it is a HUGE step backwards.

I left the house this morning and took a 66 mile drive into town, drycleaners, coffee stop, friend's house then back home. The last 16 miles I was so frustrated and concerned about the way the car was driving that I turned off everything except TACC. In the first 50 miles I had more than 30 disengagements (I stopped counting at 30).

The first thing I noticed was the car was no longer biasing to the right on a two-lane, unmarked country road. The car was now biasing to the center, even on blind hills, then on two roads it biased left of center and on one road was fully traveling on the left side of the roadway!

Continuing on noticed speeds were slowing considerably for no reason that I could notice, with the exception of the occasion shadow of a tree. Then as I came to an odd stop sign situation where there is a stop sign prior to an overpass, then another after passing under the overpass, the car just simply stopped in the middle of the road.

My car and I then entered a 70mph highway, accelerated to 75mph and off we go to town. And we changed lanes to follow the route, then we changed lanes again, then again. And when we were in the left lane and a left turn lane came up, the car smoothly merged into that left turn lane, forcing me to disengage and swerve back onto the highway. I let it stay in the turn lane at one point when there was no traffic to see how it would manage getting back to the highway. The answer; SLAM on the brakes to stop at the end of the turn lane with a confusing back and forth on the yoke since it couldn't figure out how to maneuver the single lane back to the right.

As we get into town I had gone through 6 lane changes to "follow the route" in the past 6-7 miles. Simply changing lanes almost every mile from left lane to right. Drivers often wondering what the hell I was doing. The occasional random "blinker" turning on for no reason.

After dropping my drycleaning there was a quick coffee stop and an attempt to now leave town going northbound to see if maybe my car just hates to go south. NOPE, same issues.

During my drive back through town the car opted for a left turn lane while going straight, confusing a few drivers and it fully caught me off guard on that one. Then, once again, changing lanes to follow some bizarre ritual of left lane/right lane almost every mile.

The coup de grâce was heading westbound on a two-lane highway, once again 75mph in a 70mph zone, with my right turn coming up in 1.2 miles the car continued in the left lane at a pace to pass the car going slower in the right lane. As I got to 0.3 miles from my right turn, and just the right amount of room to my right to change lanes, the blinker activates and the lane change occurs, now 0.2 miles from my turn. This is working out great, I'm almost smiling. Then BAM, the car brakes hard and slows 10, 15 then 20 mph below the speed limit to creep up to the turn like a cat trying to creep up on a bird.

I roll down my window and apologize to the driver I just caused to swerve around me and decided that was enough. I turned it all off. I can handle quirks but I can't deal with ridiculous, unforeseeable and dangerous actions.

This new release has been, by far, the worst I've seen so far.

• Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC
I can't believe I forgot this one in my bullet list report yesterday, since it's rather a biggie, and very weird.

We were on a small street crossing a multilane bigger street. The light turned red as we approached the intersection, and the car stopped well. All good so far.

Then after a minute or so waiting at the red light, the car suddenly accelerated forward. The light was still red! There is no other light for another lane for it to have been confused about. Just a plain--unchanging--red light.

Of course I stomped on the brake.

Except for a right-on-red, I've never had it try to go once it was already stopped at a red. How about you?
Yes, I've had a couple of instances like that with v11.3.6. I need more v11.4.2 drive time but wouldn't be surprised if it's still present.

My car and I then entered a 70mph highway, accelerated to 75mph and off we go to town. And we changed lanes to follow the route, then we changed lanes again, then again. And when we were in the left lane and a left turn lane came up, the car smoothly merged into that left turn lane, forcing me to disengage and swerve back onto the highway.

Try chill mode

Reactions: DWtsn
I've had to turn off FSDb and go to Autosteer (Beta). I can't afford the stress and potential accident/lawsuit from the totally, irrational unexpected maneuvers. Today I was traveling on a local highway at 75mph (speed limit 70mph), in the left of two lanes as I slowly passed a car in the right lane. As i approached a dedicated left turn lane a vehicle in front of me had just entered the left turn lane and slowed considerably to make their left turn. My car decided it also wanted to suddenly be in the left turn lane and with no warning, no indication on the "blue line" and no blinker it maneuvered itself at 75mph into the turn lane. The car saw the truck, which was almost to a stop in front of me in the turn lane, and started to apply the brakes but we were doing 75, the truck 15 and slowing and that math didn't add up. I had a split second to snatch the yoke back to the lane I was in before and avoid a wreck.

A little while later, traveling in Tyler, Texas I had 1.4 miles to go to my next turn near the mall when my car changed from the middle lane to the right-hand lane to "follow the route" and a few hundred yards later it committed to the right hand turn lane. I figured a reroute was in order until the very end of the turn lane when the car suddenly decided it needed to continue straight and as we got to the gore point the car slammed on the brakes, turned on the left blinker and was almost to a complete stop before I could slam on the accelerator and take the yoke to prevent the guy behind me, and the car behind him, getting into a pile-up.

That was it. I was done with FSDb and I turned it off. It seems that every step forward is two steps back. My car now treats two-lane, unmarked roads as a "lane" and won't commit to the right side. My car when seeing a car coming down a two-lane, unmarked road gets confused and simply comes to a stop in the middle of the road. These things it did not do just a few days ago. And the list of egregious, unexpected errors/actions is very long.

I know you have to continuously "monitor" the car, but the car can do things so fast and unexpectedly that it's just a matter of time before someone gets in a wreck and I don't want to be "that guy." Hopefully a much better update will come along in a few years and I can turn it back on, maybe there's a BMW, Cadillac or something else out there that is close in the technology that is a little less flawed. But Tesla is many, many years away from their current technology being viable and safe enough that you don't have to constantly drive like a cat on a hot tin roof.

Starting with 11.4.2 my car now enters a bus lane where it's not allowed to. And I checked the 11.4 release notes...

View attachment 942460
Hi i had the same situation on a buttlane in Reston Va (the bus lane is part of a offf ramp form the toll road ) and it was a bit of a surprise as it had never done that before I caught it in time and sent them a bug report . Overall the new load is quite nice the system error emergency take over seems to be gone and lane changes are really nice . Down side is side streets with no lane markings that it use todo fine with on coming traffic now it is super tentative and takes its half out of the middle and doesn’t give an inch with on coming cars that would be nice to get the no lane marking. Bias to the right side back . Steady improvement though overall

On route on divided 45mph 4 lane highway in right lane car tried to get in a right turn lane to a boat ramp. Lane changing is erratic without obvious purpose. Turned off FSD to Nav on AP and now that is infected with a bug that on empty roads slows to a stop. Now I can't use that either.

I've had to turn off FSDb and go to Autosteer (Beta). I can't afford the stress and potential accident/lawsuit from the totally, irrational unexpected maneuvers. Today I was traveling on a local highway at 75mph (speed limit 70mph), in the left of two lanes as I slowly passed a car in the right lane. As i approached a dedicated left turn lane a vehicle in front of me had just entered the left turn lane and slowed considerably to make their left turn. My car decided it also wanted to suddenly be in the left turn lane and with no warning, no indication on the "blue line" and no blinker it maneuvered itself at 75mph into the turn lane. The car saw the truck, which was almost to a stop in front of me in the turn lane, and started to apply the brakes but we were doing 75, the truck 15 and slowing and that math didn't add up. I had a split second to snatch the yoke back to the lane I was in before and avoid a wreck.

A little while later, traveling in Tyler, Texas I had 1.4 miles to go to my next turn near the mall when my car changed from the middle lane to the right-hand lane to "follow the route" and a few hundred yards later it committed to the right hand turn lane. I figured a reroute was in order until the very end of the turn lane when the car suddenly decided it needed to continue straight and as we got to the gore point the car slammed on the brakes, turned on the left blinker and was almost to a complete stop before I could slam on the accelerator and take the yoke to prevent the guy behind me, and the car behind him, getting into a pile-up.

That was it. I was done with FSDb and I turned it off. It seems that every step forward is two steps back. My car now treats two-lane, unmarked roads as a "lane" and won't commit to the right side. My car when seeing a car coming down a two-lane, unmarked road gets confused and simply comes to a stop in the middle of the road. These things it did not do just a few days ago. And the list of egregious, unexpected errors/actions is very long.

I know you have to continuously "monitor" the car, but the car can do things so fast and unexpectedly that it's just a matter of time before someone gets in a wreck and I don't want to be "that guy." Hopefully a much better update will come along in a few years and I can turn it back on, maybe there's a BMW, Cadillac or something else out there that is close in the technology that is a little less flawed. But Tesla is many, many years away from their current technology being viable and safe enough that you don't have to constantly drive like a cat on a hot tin roof.
Just So you feel like you are not an outlier o have experience all those same thing here in virginia looks like two step back on The two lane in marked road the previous load did Thorstenson perfectly .so if Tesla is listening or reading this. Take the side street settings. From 11.36.1 and merge it with the highway lane changes in 11.4.2 and you have a winner . But do watch that super quick Grab the left turn lane at any cost it is doing that is unnerving when it reall goes like a bat out of hell to make it . As far as going back to just auto steer I ended up in autopilot jail for two weeks (no fsdb) and auto steer is worse!! I forgot what that mode only is
Like and I instantly missed fsdb. For me the beta is really great over all and really makes a very taxing 60mile one way trip that I have todo each weekend very enjoyable

A couple good drives today in the D/FW area. Drove from East of Dallas to North Plano, mostly on Bush Turnpike and US75 in fairly heavy traffic each way. 40+ miles with zero disengagements and one intervention where FSDb hesitated in starting out when a light turned green. Gave a little accelerator. Funny how this intersection has been rock solid for a long time. I even had a lead car that moved out smoothly, yet my car gave an initial jerk, then braked. With traffic close behind, I didn't want to be 'that guy', so gave a little nudge.

Oh, one other minor intervention as a preventative. There's a two lane exit off southbound US75 that splits to go either east or west on Bush Turnpike. Since 11.3.6, the car takes the rightmost lane despite needing to be in the leftmost a quarter mile ahead. With heavy traffic, the car cannot get into the lane in time, so I used the stalk to cancel the lane change into the wrong lane.

Aside from these tow items, great movement through the heavy traffic and a good drive.

Reactions: kriskros91
I keep trying FSD to see if it is useable yet, but I keep getting disappointed. I just got 11.4.2 and the car has a hell of a time picking lanes. Driving down a 4 lane highway it just randomly jumped from the right lane to a right turn lane for apparently no reason. I had to jerk it back. On a two lane road there was little turn out lane added so traffic could bypass left turning cars in front of them. The car jumped right into this lane for no apparent reason. The road was empty of other cars. Then immediately after merging back the car phantom braked by about 10 MPH again for no apparent reason.

On a two lane road it widened to create a left turn lane and right turn lane. The car jumped to the left turn lane instead of going straight in the lane it was in. It's just amazingly bad. I thought this was a solid release.

Reactions: DWtsn
I keep trying FSD to see if it is useable yet, but I keep getting disappointed. I just got 11.4.2 and the car has a hell of a time picking lanes. Driving down a 4 lane highway it just randomly jumped from the right lane to a right turn lane for apparently no reason. I had to jerk it back. On a two lane road there was little turn out lane added so traffic could bypass left turning cars in front of them. The car jumped right into this lane for no apparent reason. The road was empty of other cars. Then immediately after merging back the car phantom braked by about 10 MPH again for no apparent reason.

On a two lane road it widened to create a left turn lane and right turn lane. The car jumped to the left turn lane instead of going straight in the lane it was in. It's just amazingly bad. I thought this was a solid release.
Um. There's been a fair amount of discussion about this in the main 11.4 thread. There seems to be quite a bit of variation between different cars loaded with 11.4.2.

I've been driving around with it; picking the wrong land is the opposite of what it's been doing, in general. In fact, picking the right lane, in general, it seems to be doing a better job with. (There are exceptions: Getting trapped in an on-ramp with a car to my left has happened once or twice. The right action would be to brake somewhat aggressively, then pull in behind the car playing silly buggers, but neither this version, nor previous ones, seem to have figured out how to do this as of yet.)

One thing that people in the main thread have been playing around with: Checking to make sure that the USB drive is in good working order. From the reports, FSD-b (in particular?) seems to save a fair amount of data to the USB. If the USB has got errors, is too full, or whatever, this seems to cause a lot of oddball problems, not only with FSD-b, but with things as strange as the heating and cooling and the windshield wipers.

The fellow who reported this problem and the solution suggested by Tesla (reformatting the drive?) got some serious improvements, was happy, and reported that to the thread. Several of the regular users have tried improving their USB solution; some have seen improvements, some haven't. A couple of the ones who reported improvements reported that their USB drivers were extremely full with clips before they tried their fixes.

One other person who reported improvements tried resetting the cameras with some success. In that person's case, he discovered (how?) that one of the cameras was out of calibration. There's a "reset cameras" option in the maintenance tab; he did that, drove for 30 miles while the cameras recalibrated, and was then happy. Another person reported that a bicycle carrier (!) appeared to be the source of his problems, presumably because it was blocking the rear camera or something.

Finally: If you haven't done the two-scroll-wheel reset and/or power-down reset (from the maintenance tab, where one can turn off the car), you might want to try that. I haven't done either of those on the upgrade from 11.3.6 to 11.4.2, but doing that on previous release changes did clear some oddball behavior.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
My 21 MSLR downloaded 2023.7.10 FSDb v11.4.2 last night and I was excited to drive it today and see the improvements. Sadly, it is a HUGE step backwards.ions.

This new release has been, by far, the worst I've seen so far.

That's really unfortunate. I wonder if there are geographical differences that the ML models work better in some regions, as there's more data in the training set?

I've found it to be pretty good on SoCal freeways. It does a few more lane changes or fake-outs (blinkers but decides otherwise) than I would usually like, so I'm starting to drive more on the chill setting (not throttle) and lane change manually some of the time, but otherwise it's a useful product and I use it on most freeway drives daily with success, and it lowers effort.

Also it works better in moderate (but not very heavy) traffic where it can see cars in front of it to anchor the lanes.

Also maybe the Model S (and likewise X) are doing less well because their sensors are in somewhat different locations and there's less examples in the train set. The Model 3 is by far the most prevalent near me (significantly more than Y by maybe factor of 3 or 4 here), they're everywhere.

Of course the indecisiveness isn't gone as evidenced by any drive including this which caused ill-advised road rage. In this apologist's case it's not FSDj's fault it's the 'human' driving the other car. o_O