Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This issue is getting extremely annoying. It’s constantly trying to take right hand turning lanes at full speed while it’s supposed to go straight. Not the best clip but it’ll do to get the point across

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
Wow, can't say I've seen that one before...although I don't think I've used FSD in many scenarios quite like this. That sucks!!

Reactions: Ramphex
This issue is getting extremely annoying. It’s constantly trying to take right hand turning lanes at full speed while it’s supposed to go straight. Not the best clip but it’ll do to get the point across

wow. Looks scary for certain. Is this on the last version that was "so much better/great/I think they have nailed FSD this time" or the most current version that is "great/so much better/I think they have nailed FSD this time"?

Yes, happens twice per day coming home. Same place every time. Only way to avoid it is to make the car go to the left lane using turn signals before the area it does it

Reactions: Ramphex
I have experienced this since 10.10.2. Happens for right or left turn lanes. The issue tends to be worse when there is a turnout that is just before an intended turn, but the issue does happen even when intending to go straight.
I had the issue of FSD taking earlier turns right before the turn it’s supposed to take on 10.10.2, it has not done that since 10.11.2, now it just randomly takes right hand turning lanes at full speed lol. I have not yet seen it try to do that in left hand turning lanes.
Yes, happens twice per day coming home. Same place every time. Only way to avoid it is to make the car go to the left lane using turn signals before the area it does it
Interestingly enough I did try that today, it then switched lanes from left lane into the right lane about 1/4 mile before it tried taking that right turning lane. A part of me wants to try to let it go and see what it does but there’s no way to decelerate quickly without disengaging FSD.

Next time I’ll try driving that area below the speed limit and let it take that turning lane without intervening.

This makes me wonder if the car is actually using any sort of NN to drive or if it just drives using the map data and uses NN for surrounding objects. Maybe the mapping vehicles make a right hand turn there 😅

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I had the issue of FSD taking earlier turns right before the turn it’s supposed to take on 10.10.2, it has not done that since 10.11.2, now it just randomly takes right hand turning lanes at full speed lol. I have not yet seen it try to do that in left hand turning lanes.

Interestingly enough I did try that today, it then switched lanes from left lane into the right lane about 1/4 mile before it tried taking that right turning lane. A part of me wants to try to let it go and see what it does but there’s no way to decelerate quickly without disengaging FSD.

Next time I’ll try driving that area below the speed limit and let it take that turning lane without intervening.

This makes me wonder if the car is actually using any sort of NN to drive or if it just drives using the map data and uses NN for surrounding objects. Maybe the mapping vehicles make a right hand turn there 😅
I've tried letting it go to see what it does and it's kind of a crap shoot. It generally gets confused, flashes blinkers then may take the turn or may try to get back into the correct lane, or try to go straight.

Lane selection has gotten progressively worse over the last 2 versions. I had this problem with 10.2. It's actually worse in 11.2 and now there's random blinkers for no real reason. Supposedly they're working on a new modality for lane visualization and selection so I'm hoping this is one of those 'it gets worse before it gets better' issues. It certainly seems like it should be easy - "you want to go straight so just stay out of the turn lane!"

I've tried letting it go to see what it does and it's kind of a crap shoot. It generally gets confused, flashes blinkers then may take the turn or may try to get back into the correct lane, or try to go straight.

Lane selection has gotten progressively worse over the last 2 versions. I had this problem with 10.2. It's actually worse in 11.2 and now there's random blinkers for no real reason. Supposedly they're working on a new modality for lane visualization and selection so I'm hoping this is one of those 'it gets worse before it gets better' issues. It certainly seems like it should be easy - "you want to go straight so just stay out of the turn lane!"
Yea, would be nice to also have a toggle to keep a lane or something, I like to ride the center lane, and we have a lot of 3-4 lane roads. The only time it should switch lanes is to either pass, or to get ready for a turn.

A couple of miles after the spot from my video, it does some lane pinballing. It gets into the right most lane and then mid intersection switches lanes back into the center lane. Bizarre unnecessary behavior.

I also wish there was a pop up menu for when you report something with some selections to categorize your report. Unnecessary lane changes, phantom braking, yellow flashing light issue, etc

Had to brake to prevent an accident yesterday. Tesla was stopped at an intersection waiting to turn left onto a road with 35-40MPH cross traffic. A semi was turning right onto my road, blocking the view of the traffic coming from the left. Tesla stopped, then proceeded. Had I not hit the brake it would have pulled out in front of a bus.

Best practice in a situation like this is to wait for the truck to complete the turn so you can have an unobstructed view before proceeding. I was surprised Tesla proceeded as it did.

Had to brake to prevent an accident yesterday. Tesla was stopped at an intersection waiting to turn left onto a road with 35-40MPH cross traffic. A semi was turning right onto my road, blocking the view of the traffic coming from the left. Tesla stopped, then proceeded. Had I not hit the brake it would have pulled out in front of a bus.

Best practice in a situation like this is to wait for the truck to complete the turn so you can have an unobstructed view before proceeding. I was surprised Tesla proceeded as it did.
I often wonder what FSD would do if I didn't stop it. Leaving my development, for example, is a stop sign where you need to make an unprotected left/right turn onto a 35 MPH country road (though most traffic blows by going much faster than that). FSD creeps out so slowly and sticks out so far before committing to a turn/stop that I'm usually too scared to let it finish - I either gun it if I'm in too deep or cancel FSD and go into reverse. I've gotten the stink eye from this on more than one occasion from passersby (deservedly so).

So what would it do? It's gunned it for me a couple times, which was kinda scary. But it surely wouldn't reverse, and my fear is it might have one of those "oh crap" moments where it senses something bad could happen and suddenly quits without warning, leaving me sitting there to take over with a moment's notice. These are the kinds of situations that give me pause on the beta. I always snapshot these scenarios, but it hasn't really gotten better with updates. At what point will it? Is what I'm doing effective at training the NN for future releases? Who knows...

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I often wonder what FSD would do if I didn't stop it. Leaving my development, for example, is a stop sign where you need to make an unprotected left/right turn onto a 35 MPH country road (though most traffic blows by going much faster than that). FSD creeps out so slowly and sticks out so far before committing to a turn/stop that I'm usually too scared to let it finish - I either gun it if I'm in too deep or cancel FSD and go into reverse. I've gotten the stink eye from this on more than one occasion from passersby (deservedly so).

So what would it do? It's gunned it for me a couple times, which was kinda scary. But it surely wouldn't reverse, and my fear is it might have one of those "oh crap" moments where it senses something bad could happen and suddenly quits without warning, leaving me sitting there to take over with a moment's notice. These are the kinds of situations that give me pause on the beta. I always snapshot these scenarios, but it hasn't really gotten better with updates. At what point will it? Is what I'm doing effective at training the NN for future releases? Who knows...
yeah - In general I've found it far too cautious when pulling out into traffic. It often times sees an opening that would otherwise be appropriate but then it inches out, seemingly thinking about it for far too long until it's missed the chance, then it starts to go anyway, forcing you to gun the accelerator so you don't make the other driver slam on their brakes.

I think it has gotten marginally better through the releases but it needs to improve significantly to be ready for prime time. Like many other areas, it's like driving with a timid teenager the first time they're behind the wheel.

yeah - In general I've found it far too cautious when pulling out into traffic. It often times sees an opening that would otherwise be appropriate but then it inches out, seemingly thinking about it for far too long until it's missed the chance, then it starts to go anyway, forcing you to gun the accelerator so you don't make the other driver slam on their brakes.

I think it has gotten marginally better through the releases but it needs to improve significantly to be ready for prime time. Like many other areas, it's like driving with a timid teenager the first time they're behind the wheel.
It may have to do with camera distance. The rear facing cameras have a max range of 100m (300 feet), and the side front cameras are only 80m (240 feet). So when the car is inching out to get a look, it can't see very far which is why it's timid?

Reactions: Vinssent
It may have to do with camera distance. The rear facing cameras have a max range of 100m (300 feet), and the side front cameras are only 80m (240 feet). So when the car is inching out to get a look, it can't see very far which is why it's timid?
80m is still plenty of distance. I can't say for sure, but it seems like it's more of a processing issue than a visualization issue.

It would be better if the side cameras were further forward (even the A pillar would be better) but they're not so Tesla either needs to make the current configuration work or reevaluate the entire system. The problem with other, more forward placements of the side cameras is that they will not stay as clean. Issues with dirt could likely negate any advantage of a more forward placement.

Reactions: jabloomf1230
80m is still plenty of distance. I can't say for sure, but it seems like it's more of a processing issue than a visualization issue.

It would be better if the side cameras were further forward (even the A pillar would be better) but they're not so Tesla either needs to make the current configuration work or reevaluate the entire system. The problem with other, more forward placements of the side cameras is that they will not stay as clean. Issues with dirt could likely negate any advantage of a more forward placement.
I'm amazed that no one had made a headlight unit with a built in side-facing camera.

It's not the resolution, it's the placement.
I believe it is both plus a couple of other things could be needed if true level 5 is to be achieved (I see us getting Level 3 and I will be happy). Bet we may need HW4 with a lot more memory. There are just TOOOOOOO many variables, signs, edge cases and strange/unknowable situations that it will be required to process and have rules preloaded. Also it could be very helpful having cameras with a wider color space that also sense down into the IR wavelength range (FLIR).

I have also thought the "holy grail" would be to require all cars to have standardized mesh network. Of course this would be a nightmare to standardize and implement.

Last edited:
I believe it is both plus a couple of other things could be needed if true level 5 is to be achieved (I see us getting Level 3 and I will be happy). Bet we may need HW4 with a lot more memory. There are just TOOOOOOO many variables, signs, edge cases and strange/unknowable situations that it will be required to process and have rules preloaded. Also it could be very helpful having cameras with a wider color space that also sense down into the IR wavelength range (FLIR).

I have also thought the "holy grail" would be to require all cars to have standardized mesh network. Of course this would be a nightmare to standardize and implement.
I think that the first L5 level production vehicles will meet the standard that you described. But mass produced L5 vehicles will likely be based on a less sophisticated system of sensors. Elon is approaching this goal from the bottom up, while other manufacturers are starting at the high end with the goal of simplifying. The latter approach seems more appealing to me from an engineering standpoint, but it's usually not a good idea to bet against Elon Musk. He shaves daily with Occam's razor.

Yea, would be nice to also have a toggle to keep a lane or something, I like to ride the center lane, and we have a lot of 3-4 lane roads. The only time it should switch lanes is to either pass, or to get ready for a turn.

A couple of miles after the spot from my video, it does some lane pinballing. It gets into the right most lane and then mid intersection switches lanes back into the center lane. Bizarre unnecessary behavior.

I also wish there was a pop up menu for when you report something with some selections to categorize your report. Unnecessary lane changes, phantom braking, yellow flashing light issue, etc
try my patent free workaround - turn off the navigation for that section, then re-enable later.
For the roads I've had similar issues it works every time.
Somehow it seems more of a relaxed drive when its just got to follow the road instead of the nav.