Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the disclaimer from the Autopilot Buddy, still on sale, which it calls a "Tesla Nag Reduction Device". Note that it can't be bought in the USA.

The Autopilot Buddy unit restores extended use of Autosteer on Tesla® vehicles to earlier Firmware 7 capabilities. This is not intended to be a hands-off device; your hands must remain on the wheel as directed by Tesla's terms of "Autosteer" user agreement.
** Do Not Use the AutopilotBuddy on public streets.
Manufactured for Track use only. We can only ship this product to customers outside the USA.

Now for USA customers you can only buy the Cell Phone Holder device. Ah, it's a cell phone holder not a weight, but still attached to the steering wheel in the same place, and presumably about the same weight as the Autopilot Buddy? But it's not at all the same, wink wink.
One or more states may restrict cellphones mounted to the steering wheel. Check your local laws before use. The #1776 is made for"stationary use only".
Do not use the #1776 cell phone holder while the car is in motion.

All just games. What you do with these devices is up to you, wink wink. Hey, if someone can sell Not-a-Flamethrower you apparently can sell anything, so long as you have a stupid disclaimer like Do not use... while the car is in motion.
What I don't understand is why they are selling it for $329, that has to be a joke.
And turns into a projectile when the airbag deploys. What a deal.

All just games. What you do with these devices is up to you, wink wink. Hey, if someone can sell Not-a-Flamethrower you apparently can sell anything, so long as you have a stupid disclaimer like Do not use... while the car is in motion.
What I don't understand is why they are selling it for $329, that has to be a joke.
Agreed. $329 is a total ripoff when this is a fraction of the price and works just as well.

None of them go anywhere near the airbag, nor have there ever been any reports of them causing injuries.

Now let's get back to discussing the .69 dumpster fire please.

And that it appears to be!

96D735D3-CBF2-4E43-9642-F7C815B614B0.gif

None of them go anywhere near the airbag, nor have there ever been any reports of them causing injuries.

Now let's get back to discussing the .69 dumpster fire please.
10.69 is fine.

It is just not very good.

It is exactly what we expected. Lots of new capability, but lots of work still to do.

Give it a few years and it will be a lot better. It has improved quite a lot in a year, even though as far as utility goes it is no different than a year ago.

There is plenty of time; there is no current competition.

You have to appreciate it for what it is, not what you want it to be, then turn it off.

I updated mine couple of days ago, so far WOW …. sorry no video

1) Overall it seems to be slightly smoother but not by much
2) On a left turn in a red lights junction, started with slight jerk and then smoothed out.
3) On a right turn (with island on the left side), stopped and creeped then made a wide turn to the outer lane then back to the inner lane, then signaled and turned to the outer lane.
4) On an unprotected left turn to my neighborhood, it made it but didn’t give up like before, able to see speed sign 25mph and keep that speed, a message show up saying AP completed about 5-6 houses before my house,
5) On a right turn into my neighborhood, it made it but didn’t see the 25mph sign and tried to speed up to 40mph, probably the sign is too close and not enough time to catch it.
6) One time it make a turn to the next lane without signaling.
7). Finally the city repainted the lanes in my neighborhood, so much better now instead of centering between two lanes whenever the Lane marking is poor.

Last edited:
After further driving this morning, I have concluded that additionally 10.69.2 still has issues with these tasks:

1) Going
2) Stopping

They are quite severe. Very slow on the takeoff, and the slowing often (not every time!) has a pulsing nature to it where it applies regen, eases off for a bit, then uses regen and brakes. Just weird. The new display is great for seeing the severity of the issue.
So if you just inserted "Driving" then doesn't that mean FSD has issues with everything?:)

So if you just inserted "Driving" then doesn't that mean FSD has issues with everything?:)
It’s probably better at turning now than it is at going and stopping. Assuming it makes the turn.

It’s generally ok (probably occasional issues but no basis yet for judgement) going straight, with markings, and with nothing much around, as I have mentioned before.

Might do a trip with a lot of non-freeway highway stuff soon; should be fun. Will be nice to be free of some of the shackles of AP. We’ll see.

City Streets…not so much.

FSD Beta 10.69.x is 0/3 on this left turn.

It’s a tricky one. Maybe the map gurus can explain why. I am the map guru.

Failure modes are either entering the lanes, then exiting across the solid line, or just not entering.

Turn signal goes on every time (later than it should, but before the turn lane)

Ah, it used to look like this (7 years ago):

Deep lane guidance has f***ed us.

This was fine before that garbage. It no longer believes its lying eyes.

Pretty sure it will fail with zero traffic based on prior attempts but I guess I should see.

Maybe they should use better map data?

I’ll be thrilled when I see the release notes trumpeting 0.1% improvements (obviously depends on whether they measure success rates or reduction in failures). Until then, garbage.

Last edited:
If FSD Beta were using OpenStreetMap based lanes data, it would not be that surprising that it's confused here as the map data says lanes=4 maybe assuming 2 lanes in each direction; whereas the green arrow you've drawn goes through a road that has 4 lanes in your direction (dedicated left for St Charles Ave, straight through, merging left, dedicated right for parking lot) and 5 lanes in the opposite direction (double left, double straight, right turn) for a total of up to 9 lanes. There's a bunch of forks and merges very close to each other, so that's probably also part of the difficulty for the vision system even when knowing it shouldn't trust its map data.

View attachment 852485

I would guess it switches right after making the left turn because you have an upcoming right turn pretty soon, but as where you've placed the green star, the 2 lanes actually merge into 1, so the lane change is unnecessary. For this specific getting into a merging lane issue, I'm not sure how Tesla will prioritize it if they believe FSD Beta can handle merges without much issue.
I guess I’ll have to pull a “Chuck” and start videoing with a drone and post daily on Twitter to get @elonmusk ‘s attention to get it fixed 😂🤣

After further driving this morning, I have concluded that additionally 10.69.2 still has issues with these tasks:

1) Going
2) Stopping

They are quite severe. Very slow on the takeoff, and the slowing often (not every time!) has a pulsing nature to it where it applies regen, eases off for a bit, then uses regen and brakes. Just weird. The new display is great for seeing the severity of the issue.
I was just out driving and I can’t disagree more. It accelerates smoothly. Not aggressively, but the times I’ve been at a light next to other cars i’m generally about even with the car next to me. It also has far fewer ‘whiplash’ moments when it suddenly accelerates.

As far as stopping goes, I’ve found it to be quite smooth, at least as smooth as 10.12 and generally more so. I haven’t noticed any of the ’pulsing’ you’ve complained about - at all. It does use regen more than I would but that’s because it starts braking later than I would - I generally try to drive so I never need to touch the brake pedal, but that means braking earlier (and often accelerating less so you don’t get too close to the car ahead of you only to slam on the brakes.)

I go Back to my previous statement - FSD is not aggressive like you want it to be. That’s not a fault, it’s a preference.

haven’t noticed any of the ’pulsing’ you’ve complained about - at all. It does use regen more than I would but that’s because it starts braking later than I would - I generally try to drive so I never need to touch the brake pedal, but that means braking earlier (and often accelerating less so you don’t get too close to the car ahead of you only to slam on the brakes.)
Post some videos. I’d love to see a car consistently stopping smoothly, without the behavior I describe. As I said, sometimes it does stop smoothly (rough guess is 20-30% of the time; higher with lead vehicles). So a representative sample would be good. Not with lead vehicles. So far every video of reasonable length I have watched shows the behavior.

You say it starts braking later than you would. For me, that is sometimes the case, but it sometimes starts braking earlier than I would, and still manages to screw it up.

generally try to drive so I never need to touch the brake pedal
Me too! That’s why it is so frustrating. So you’re saying you are not seeing FSD Beta using the brakes? I often (not always!) see it do an initial pulse of strong regen, but not maxed out, then dial it back, then bring it back in with brakes as well. (All easy to see now; before I had to guess.) I’m typically talking about slowdowns from 50mph which is the typical surface street speed around here. 20mph stops tend to be handled better (but are slow).

I like to drive assertively and never use the brakes.

FSD is not aggressive like you want it to be. That’s not a fault, it’s a preference.
There’s a huge difference between 0-50 in 10-15 seconds and 0-50 in 6-8 seconds. The latter can be extremely smooth and comfortable and is definitely not aggressive.

Last edited:
I was just out driving and I can’t disagree more. It accelerates smoothly. Not aggressively, but the times I’ve been at a light next to other cars i’m generally about even with the car next to me. It also has far fewer ‘whiplash’ moments when it suddenly accelerates.

As far as stopping goes, I’ve found it to be quite smooth, at least as smooth as 10.12 and generally more so. I haven’t noticed any of the ’pulsing’ you’ve complained about - at all. It does use regen more than I would but that’s because it starts braking later than I would - I generally try to drive so I never need to touch the brake pedal, but that means braking earlier (and often accelerating less so you don’t get too close to the car ahead of you only to slam on the brakes.)
The problem is that driving is not a science, but more a personal experience, and highly subjective. People are taught to drive by someone else, usually a family member or friend, and those teachings are ingrained in them throughout their lives. What is slow acceleration to one person is "just right" for others, and even "aggressive" for others.

There are obviously basics of driving, legal requirements, that are universal. This includes, but isn't limited to: The car must stop at a red light or stop sign, and go on a green light, or when it's your turn at the intersection. You must stay in your lane, and signal when you need to change lanes. You must obey the posted speed limit. You cannot cross double-yellow lines.

The rest is subjective. How you reach the speed limit is entirely up to you. Some enjoy gunning it and getting to the limit as fast as possible. Some enjoy moderate acceleration, and others prefer a more leisurely ramp up. Some move as far to the right as possible before making a right turn, and some prefer to stay more in the center of the lane. Some corner fast, enjoying the g-forces and capabilities of their car. Others prefer to slow down and take the corner much more slowly. Some even have a pot of chili in the car they are taking to a pot-luck and need to take corners VERY SLOW. :) Some people drive close to the lead car, because they don't want anyone cutting in front of them. Some like lots of room between them and the car ahead. Some are in a hurry and dart in and out of lanes in an effort to get ahead of traffic, while others prefer to stay in their lane and only change when necessary.

I view FSD Beta from the standpoint of capability. Does it follow the law, and do so safely? The subjective items I try to dismiss as if I was in an Uber and someone else was driving. So, it didn't accelerate as fast as I normally would. So, it took that corner a little faster than I would normally. Did it get me to where I wanted to go? Did it do it safely? That's all that really matters to me. But that's my personal experience.

There’s a huge difference between 0-50 in 10-15 seconds and 0-50 in 6-8 seconds. The latter can be extremely smooth and comfortable and is definitely not aggressive.
haha. My first car, an Acura Integra, did 0-60 in 9 seconds and that required skill to achieve. 6-8 seconds 0-50 is aggressive (not that I don't do it every time I can :D)

The problem is that driving is not a science, but more a personal experience, and highly subjective. People are taught to drive by someone else, usually a family member or friend, and those teachings are ingrained in them throughout their lives. What is slow acceleration to one person is "just right" for others, and even "aggressive" for others.

There are obviously basics of driving, legal requirements, that are universal. This includes, but isn't limited to: The car must stop at a red light or stop sign, and go on a green light, or when it's your turn at the intersection. You must stay in your lane, and signal when you need to change lanes. You must obey the posted speed limit. You cannot cross double-yellow lines.

The rest is subjective. How you reach the speed limit is entirely up to you. Some enjoy gunning it and getting to the limit as fast as possible. Some enjoy moderate acceleration, and others prefer a more leisurely ramp up. Some move as far to the right as possible before making a right turn, and some prefer to stay more in the center of the lane. Some corner fast, enjoying the g-forces and capabilities of their car. Others prefer to slow down and take the corner much more slowly. Some even have a pot of chili in the car they are taking to a pot-luck and need to take corners VERY SLOW. :) Some people drive close to the lead car, because they don't want anyone cutting in front of them. Some like lots of room between them and the car ahead. Some are in a hurry and dart in and out of lanes in an effort to get ahead of traffic, while others prefer to stay in their lane and only change when necessary.

I view FSD Beta from the standpoint of capability. Does it follow the law, and do so safely? The subjective items I try to dismiss as if I was in an Uber and someone else was driving. So, it didn't accelerate as fast as I normally would. So, it took that corner a little faster than I would normally. Did it get me to where I wanted to go? Did it do it safely? That's all that really matters to me. But that's my personal experience.
Someone needs to drive Uber with FSD Beta and see what their rating is. It would make a great YouTube series.

haha. My first car, an Acura Integra, did 0-60 in 9 seconds and that required skill to achieve. 6-8 seconds 0-50 is aggressive (not that I don't do it every time I can :D)
You are stuck in the Stone Age! 50mph in 8 seconds is completely normal now. In 6 seconds, slightly peppy.

The rest is subjective.
Objectively, I would like to see FSD Beta not use the brakes when stopping in most cases (obviously there are scenarios with lights turning yellow or on downhills where it may be physically impossible). Can we agree that that would be reasonable?

As I said, sometimes it does stop smoothly (rough guess is 20-30% of the time; higher with lead vehicles). So a representative sample would be good. Not with lead vehicles. So far every video of reasonable length I have watched shows the behavior.
Hi Alan, I know you are not replying to me. Just to say if Doc does post videos, I'm thinking it likely will be subjective as to whether the car is doing the right thing or not. In the situations Doc describes, it rings a bell with me. I'm ok with most all of what it is doing, but the wife disagrees. And then my son agrees with me but for a different reason than either the wife or me ! We have greatly different driving styles. Seems a lot of this stuff is subjective based on personal driving styles. I think you know that. I'm just saying if you and I see his videos, we may still come to different conclusions. :) How about it doc? Got time for videos?

Objectively, I would like to see FSD Beta not use the brakes when stopping in most cases (obviously there are scenarios with lights turning yellow or on downhills where it may be physically impossible). Can we agree that that would be reasonable?
Yeah, you hit on one of my dislikes. I want that puppy to use more regen so I get better range on FSD. Otherwise for most of my situations, it drives like I do.... which is maybe poorly :)

6-8 seconds 0-50 is aggressive

You are stuck in the Stone Age! 50mph in 8 seconds is completely normal now. In 6 seconds, slightly peppy.

This shows a buttery smooth 0-40mph acceleration in 4.7 seconds (26.8s or so to 31.5s roughly but don't quote me on the exact time stamps). (You can actually see I jerked it at the end of the acceleration when I saw the light status ahead was not likely to change - but note the smooth roll-in of the power.) It was not dramatic, it was not fast. I would be content with this (or even somewhat slower!) from FSD.

We have greatly different driving styles. Seems a lot of this stuff is subjective based on personal driving styles. I think you know that. I'm just saying if you and I see his videos, we may still come to different conclusions. :) How about it doc? Got time for videos?

The thing is, lower jerk is objectively better. It's not really subjective. And given FSD's sometimes early slowdowns, it's actually possible for it to make very low jerk stops in many scenarios. But it doesn't. In fact, it does very suboptimal jerk profiles (you can tell from how quickly the regen bar changes - you want to see smooth monotonic increases in that bar length, followed by monotonic decreases). It shouldn't be bouncing around (it does, and you'll find when it does, you can really feel it). Particularly when the bar is short, a little bit of jumpiness is ok (it's not linear, I don't think), but long excursions followed by very short excursions is really undesirable. And common.

Last edited: