Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For comparison, here's the battery size, range and efficiency of all tesla's models:

BatteryRangeefficiency
2020 Model Y (my car)75 kWh315 mi238 Wh/mi
2022 Model Y81 kWh330 mi245 Wh/mi
2022 Model S95 kWh405 mi234 Wh/mi
2022 Model X100 kWh348 mi287 Wh/mi
2022 Model 3 (standard)60 kWh303 mi198 Wh/mi

The model 3 is the most efficient model but it's also 1000 lbs lighter than the Model Y. Why would you think the Y would be more efficient?
Overall don’t quibble with your point but the data in this table is garbage. Source can be put in garbage bin. Your car was ~78kWh (zero debate on this one).

Model 3 RWD range is not correct. Should be 272mi.

Did not check Model S/X.

I'm not following - can you give us a Google Map view of the intersection (birdseye and street view)?

We were on our way for early morning hockey stick time on the other side of town. Here's a google street view of the intersection. There's two lanes coming off the freeway in both directions. We were in the right most lane with traffic mirroring us and coming from the other direction. In this image a slew of vehicles are ready to come at you and turn in the last second. And about in the center is where FSD consistently makes a little right hand jiggle before the left turn commit.

Screenshot 2022-10-11 171812.png

Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 17-30-43 Google Maps.png

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
For comparison, here's the battery size, range and efficiency of all tesla's models:

BatteryRangeefficiency
2020 Model Y (my car)75 kWh315 mi238 Wh/mi
2022 Model Y81 kWh330 mi245 Wh/mi
2022 Model S95 kWh405 mi234 Wh/mi
2022 Model X100 kWh348 mi287 Wh/mi
2022 Model 3 (standard)60 kWh303 mi198 Wh/mi

The model 3 is the most efficient model but it's also 1000 lbs lighter than the Model Y. Why would you think the Y would be more efficient?
Because I was comparing it to a Model S not a Model 3

Last edited:
Overall don’t quibble with your point but the data in this table is garbage. Source can be put in garbage bin. Your car was ~78kWh (zero debate on this one).

Did not check Model S/X.
Source? It's remarkably hard to get battery size info for Teslas. I found 74 kWh (evspecifications.com) and 75 kWh (car and driver and carsaxel.com) for the 2020 MY LR

I thought I got the M3 range from the Tesla web site but it's totally wrong so I have no idea. I corrected it in my original post. That makes the M3 efficiency about 220 Wh/mi

Last edited:
2022 (and 2021 after the switch) Model S drivetrain very efficient! Not old technology like Model Y.
Even the 2022 MS gets 234 Wh/mi (if the battery size I found was correct). That's still close to the MY efficiency.

I remember reading a while back that the rear motor in the MY was more efficient. (I'm guessing the front motor is less efficient but cheaper.) They likely have made further advances in their motor tech and put it in the Model S which is basically Tesla's flagship car.

Yes - averaging over many trips is clearly better for comparisons. The problem is I don't use FSD on every trip and there are trips for which I use FSD for half the trip and drive myself the other half so I don't have an easy way to measure a longer term average. The other factor is I often skip FSD when I'm in a hurry meaning I likely drive a bit more aggressively on those trips. My wife also doesn't use FSD when she drives so it's really a miso-mash.

I posted a screen shot a while back- my lifetime average is at 267 Wh/mi over 25k miles. I took delivery on July 31, 2000, so that's pretty close to an even 2 years in terms of balancing out the weather factors.

In general when I've used FSD the energy consumption I haven't noticed the energy consumption being unreasonable. I can't say whether the average is better or worse than when I drive but it's at least not grossly higher, for whatever that's worth.

Are you guys comparing Y with X on efficiency? Why?

So 10.69.2.3 still tries to bail out of a left turn at the last minute. This started with 10.69.2.2, but taking a left turn at a light from outer lane to outer lane, and halfway through the curve, the line jumps to the right to go straight. Ugh.

It's actually done this turn correctly a couple of times on 10.69.x, but majority of the time it's bailed out.

It’s been doing that since 10.12.2. I have multiple videos on that. I find it does much less with 10.69.

We were on our way for early morning hockey stick time on the other side of town. Here's a google street view of the intersection. There's two lanes coming off the freeway in both directions. We were in the right most lane with traffic mirroring us and coming from the other direction. In this image a slew of vehicles are ready to come at you and turn in the last second. And about in the center is where FSD consistently makes a little right hand jiggle before the left turn commit.

View attachment 862812

View attachment 862814
Interesting, we have an intersection in Reno just like this one. When first saw your photo I thought it was here. Our car handles this intersection perfectly.

Did not check Model S/X.

75 or 74 usable kWh is about right for his car with 77.8 nominal full. What’s wrong is 2022 Y. Usable should be around 79.

75 or 74 usable kWh is about right for his car with 77.8 nominal full. What’s wrong is 2022 Y. Usable should be around 79.
It’s not an apples-to-apples comparison. (Some of) the other numbers are not “usable” numbers. For example for the Model 3 RWD. That is a full capacity number.

Model Y 2022 latest results are closer to 81kWh I think (was for the Model 3 for the same pack). Can look it up from the test documents, it is public knowledge and well documented. Could be wrong but should be a nominal “82.1kWh” pack with more like 79-81 kWh initial full capacity. So usable around 77kWh max.

All I was saying. Anyway off-topic for FSD efficiency. We don’t care about absolute efficiency at all. Don’t even care about relative efficiency between different cars. Just relative - exact same vehicle, drive, etc. only one variable as much as possible.

Last edited:
It’s not an apples-to-apples comparison. (Some of) the other numbers are not “usable” numbers. For example for the Model 3 RWD. That is a full capacity number.

All I was saying. Anyway off-topic for FSD efficiency. We don’t care about absolute efficiency at all.
Like I said - it’s really hard to get hard data on this! On top of that, some manufacturers give total capacity, others give ‘usable’ capacity but have a buffer. Then there’s the issue of how range is calculated…
Are you guys comparing Y with X on efficiency? Why?
🤷‍♂️ I just posted about my efficiency on FSD and people started asking questions!

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Last edited:
That is so surprising to me. I would have thought the Model Y was more efficient than that.

My 2021 Model S has a lifetime of 279 Wh/mi at 38,455 and I use FSD / AP as often as it is safe to do so which is ALMOST all the time with the FSD Beta

View attachment 862761

Model S and Model Y have about the same efficiency. On highway speed, S might be a bit more efficient due to lower height.

That being said, the efficiency of my Y is also a bit mystical with FSD beta. Before I enrolled last October, I averaged 293wh/mi. Since having beta, I used it whenever I could. Now my lifetime efficiency is 281wh/mi.

When I’m using AP/FSD, I let it drive at 85mph whenever it is possible. This used to be 80mph before the speed limit change, but I see no impact on efficiency. The last 2k miles including a road trip even averaged 261wh/mi…. It seems steadily decreasing.

I got my car on June 2021, so maybe it’s normal that the efficiency was worse for the first few thousands miles.

Last edited: