Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you really going to make me post a side-by-side comparison of FSD and a proper stop? It has nothing to do with driving aggressively; I’d settle for even 50% of full regen. (This should be scalable.)

It really is just about coming to a complete halt in a timely manner and not starting to slow WAY too early.

The exact degree of regen can be phased in - remember humans aren’t really bothered by the regen (acceleration) - they notice and are bothered by the change in regen (jerk). Which is currently still a problem - on some stops.

This has nothing to do with it. It was not good before that either. Coming to a complete halt is fine. That is not the problem. Taking forever to get to a halt, and then stopping for multiple seconds for no reason, and then slowly accelerating away, is a problem.
Stops have been very inconsistent for me on 10.12. Sometimes it handles them perfectly, others it will stop far too early, then slowly creep up to the actual stopping point. In general, though, I find it braking too late, to the point it feels like it's using the friction brakes. (It's hard to tell for sure)

Accelerating away from a stop it similar. Sometimes it's perfect, sometimes it's aggravatingly slow (slow enough that the person behind me at the stop sign has stopped and proceeded and caught up to me before I'm all the way through the intersection,) and other times you almost get whiplash because it accelerates so hard.

Whether a stop is 'good' or not is subjective. There are different driving styles and some people brake early and accelerate slow while others brake late and accelerate hard. FSDb's issues can't be chalked up to style, though. It seems to just be inconsistencies and uncertainties in the algorithms.

What's left for Tesla to do:

Emergency vehicles (medium difficulty)
Hand sign / one-lane construction zones (difficult)
Parking lots (difficult to do smoothly)
Highway single stack (medium difficulty)
Turning and crossing multiple lanes simultaneously (slowly getting better)
Eliminate jerky wheel (impossible for 100%)
Staying on right edge for right turns, especially squeezing by cars to do so
Everything else is just polish

Let's add some more things I encounter from my driving experiences:

dead-end handling - If the car ends up in an intended or temporary dead end, the car gives up. Might need basic 3-point-turn capability.

U-turns - last I checked, the car won't do one even if the nav calls for it

basic reverse driving - backing up to avoid something, or even to make space for a blocked intersection, knowing when to stop if a rear obstruction is encountered, etc.

Related to reverse-driving capability: single car-width bridges - how to work out with oncoming driver who yields, who doesn't. Example:

sign reading - this covers a bunch of situations including:

basic signs, like no turn on red, yellow/neon green/orange signage

school zones - the rules for each are not consistent and require understanding of signage

turn restrictions - example: certain unprotected lefts are restricted during high traffic times of the day to prevent congestion behind turning car

lane restrictions - same as above - certain lanes enabled/disabled based on traffic conditions, time of day, special vehicles, etc

detours - following a series of detour signs when a road is closed for construction. This can be hard if placement of signs is boneheaded, as it often is.

interchangeable lanes - these might not be so common, but when I've encountered them, the way the travel direction is notated is not consistent.

probably tons more situations I can't think of or haven't encountered. Given that failure of some of these things can lead to serious accidents, I'd be hesitant to lump this stuff as "polish." AFAIK, the car can't do any of the stuff I've listed. To me, things like jerky wheel would be considered polish - things the car can do but does poorly require polish.

school zones - the rules for each are not consistent and require understanding of signage

turn restrictions - example: certain unprotected lefts are restricted during high traffic times of the day to prevent congestion behind turning car

lane restrictions - same as above - certain lanes enabled/disabled based on traffic conditions, time of day, special vehicles, etc

Most of these things can be mostly handled by map data. Tesla already does conditional speed limits based on school zones or weather in Europe: Wiki - MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

I find it braking too late, to the point it feels like it's using the friction brakes. (It's hard to tell for sure)

Does this release have the redone power/regen bar? If so, it should show you when friction brakes are applied (a gray bar that continues to the LEFT of the green regen bar).

-edit-
nvm, I assumed you had the new FSDb. you said you were on 10.12.

Let's add some more things I encounter from my driving experiences:

dead-end handling - If the car ends up in an intended or temporary dead end, the car gives up. Might need basic 3-point-turn capability.

U-turns - last I checked, the car won't do one even if the nav calls for it

basic reverse driving - backing up to avoid something, or even to make space for a blocked intersection, knowing when to stop if a rear obstruction is encountered, etc.

Related to reverse-driving capability: single car-width bridges - how to work out with oncoming driver who yields, who doesn't. Example:

sign reading - this covers a bunch of situations including:

basic signs, like no turn on red, yellow/neon green/orange signage

detours - following a series of detour signs when a road is closed for construction. This can be hard if placement of signs is boneheaded, as it often is.

interchangeable lanes - these might not be so common, but when I've encountered them, the way the travel direction is notated is not consistent.

probably tons more situations I can't think of or haven't encountered. Given that failure of some of these things can lead to serious accidents, I'd be hesitant to lump this stuff as "polish." AFAIK, the car can't do any of the stuff I've listed. To me, things like jerky wheel would be considered polish - things the car can do but does poorly require polish.
Another feature I’d love for them to add:

Forget robotaxis. I’d love to be able to send it to pick up my Walmart grocery order or any other restaurant online pickup order (which companies would have to allow which they eventually would). It’d save me a bunch of time and a bunch of money on DoorDash since I live in a huge residential area, and the closest stores to me are 15 minutes away.

Oh, and avoid potholes and other road unevenness that ruins the ride in a way a human driver wouldn’t.

I’ll keep coming up with new feature requests while I wait to get this update. So far I’ve got nothing. 😭

FSDb's issues can't be chalked up to style, though. It seems to just be inconsistencies and uncertainties in the algorithms.
That’s correct.

And I agree that there are times it is jerky on stops (seemingly too late), as well. Sometimes jerking is just due to jerk and not actual late initiation of stopping, though. It’s incredible how sensitive we are to jerk. We’re used to gravity, so acceleration/deceleration doesn’t bother us at all. But changes? Yikes!

This could be an insanely hard problem to solve, as Elon has said; remember AP will still lock up the tires when coming up on stopped traffic (I let this happen a couple weeks ago, just to see) and it has been that way for many years. Insanely difficult!

Last edited:
Does this release have the redone power/regen bar? If so, it should show you when friction brakes are applied (a gray bar that continues to the LEFT of the green regen bar).
I hadn’t noticed that since I never (rarely) use the brakes (and usually am not looking at the screen if I am!), but I did notice the green/black regen/accel line was wider and easier to see, so given that has changed, I would guess the friction braking line is added too. I’ll keep an eye out for it, and thanks for the info!

I just got prompted for the update! It’s happening because I’m not a frequent user at all.
Great and enjoy.
I've purchased FSD twice, had a 100% safety score, use FSD on almost every drive and send Tesla FSD beta team emails when appropriate. And yet I'll likely be at the end of the update line again. Would love to know the logic for upgrades.

Reactions: DarkForest
Are the people with 10.69.1.1 seeing the grey blobs for unrecognized objects?
Yes, I think I have seen them once. Only for objects in the drivable space, I believe (which are rare in most places unless you are in an urban area!). I don’t usually look at the screen but will keep an eye out when stopped.

Last edited:
Great and enjoy.
I've purchased FSD twice, had a 100% safety score, use FSD on almost every drive and send Tesla FSD beta team emails when appropriate. And yet I'll likely be at the end of the update line again. Would love to know the logic for upgrades.
Sorry! Hope you get it soon. Just took it for a spin. Feels like it’s improved in turning and composure. Still has issues on neighborhood roads with no center line. Unfortunately that’s my biggest issue given my neighborhood.

Great and enjoy.
It probably depends on your car's location as well. If you're in an area with less FSD cars you're more likely to get it sooner.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
No update here. OG 100 safety score too. I feel like the updates should go out based on your original safety score. Right now we have no idea whatsoever on what the order they push it out is.
Oh well.
Technically, at this point (and most likely prior) it really should be going out with some more objective based approach and algorithm than simple FIFO 100 score based release scheduling. I would like to think that Tesla FSD development/DOJO whatever it is would be using things like actual user/driver FSD utilization during testing, level of dis-engagements with video/in car review, some location based distribution, either for more national coverage but also clear trouble areas - like urban environments - LA - high commute or travel users, possibly certain cities where Tesla thinks/hopes/prays that they might someday release a RoboTaxi pilot program, and certainly more objective based reasons than I have highlighted here.

ROFL - they added another digit - 10.69.1.1 since Elon promised 10.69.2 would be the rollout.
This is all proceeding exactly as he said. It’s all in his tweets. He said if there were no issues we’d get .2. There were issues. Issues require a revision, so that was implicit. This is the .1 to 10k that he described.

All his tweets clearly indicate there could be tons of versions, implicitly.