Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The torque sensing seems much more touchy. I have rarely seen the blue screen nag, but this time on the freeway I disengaged AP twice, attempting to clear the torque nag (a standard tug (which of course I was already applying) did not work). This also happened on a surface street and I just disengaged there since it would not “take” the input.

This might be a bug in the 2022.20 branch overall. My theory is the nag frequently can get stuck in "construction zone" mode, at which point it requires constant, heavy torque. I just had this happen to me on 2022.20.8, and it didn't go away until I reset the car. Instant "apply torque" as soon as I let go (even immediately after entering Autopilot), and really hard torque required to satisfy the nag (I also accidentally disengaged a few times trying to torque).

Drive home gave an opportunity for a bit more unmarked wide California streets:

1) Definitely seems to be driving more on the correct side of the road; progress!
2) Much more timid on turns with limited visibility which it previously (unwisely) plowed around. Progress! Now it's way too slow though, asking to get rear ended. I would say this is better but needs more assertiveness now. Like this one. The speed limit is 25mph, but people are often traveling around that corner at 45-50, and previously FSD would just completely cut across the corner, cutting off traffic coming in from the left, as well as (probably - I always intervened if someone was coming since the behavior was terrible) ignoring oncoming traffic. Today it rolled timidly to where you would normally turn, stopped (this would fail the driver's test!), then turned.
3) Stop signs are still terrible. Way too slow on the roll-up (I still don't understand why they can't just roll in maximum regen smoothly like any normal human does and stop exactly on the line every time). And then way too slow and cautious to go. Lots of interventions to keep going and some disengagements.
4) Due to its extreme caution, I find myself looking the wrong way (or at least not having checked both ways recently!) when the car goes sometimes. This is very bad (particularly because I am pressing the accelerator at that point to get it to go so it would not stop on its own). It just screws up the regular flow of driving so I end up doing the wrong thing. Very important to get the human-machine interface right. I check both ways when I get to the stop. Then I expect to go. But because the car sits there for another 5 seconds it can become very dangerous and I might not check again. Really on me (I am not used to letting it go slow so not used to this dynamic), but it's just something I noticed.
5) It seems to make up some creep limits on sharp turns with driveways coming in from the side, and stops inappropriately. For example it stopped here and started creeping and added the creep barrier. (Note there is no double yellow line on the road now since it was repaved.) Then it chastised me strongly for not torquing the wheel (red beep hands) even though I was. Had to be careful after that.

Overall: Still basically useless on residential unmarked streets, it's just too slow to be useful. It has definitely improved, and may even be safer. But not much point if you constantly have to be on the accelerator, or dialing in appropriate speeds (which can vary widely, regardless of the posted limit).

More on well-marked surface streets:

1) I definitely think there is improvement on smoothness of steering, after having a larger sample. A couple of moderately good turns where I was just able to steer with it without intervention.
2) Still plenty of herky-jerky on the straight stretches or gentle curves. Constantly unnecessarily slowing by 1-2mph and then going again, especially on mild curves. It slowed for this.
3) I intervened on a right turn because it was way too slow to do it. It was better about getting in the right lane but then failed to turn promptly. Way too slow; you go around this right turn at at least 15mph (I'd have to check, this is an estimate, in any case FSD was way slower than the norm), otherwise people will hit you or honk.

Overall: Better. Still a lot to be done before it is usable for wide release.

Instant "apply torque" as soon as I let go (even immediately after entering Autopilot)
I don't think this was happening, but not 100% sure.
I just had this happen to me on 2022.20.8, and it didn't go away until I reset the car.
Ok, I'll try that.

Great question.. hopefully better lane changes and slowing using more regen imo.
I can't stand the last second braking.
If they don't improve the roundabout logic, no one in Europe is ever going to want to get FSD beta.

RR crossings seem like an easy fix. Continuing at the speed limit across one is a formula for suspension damage.

That said, the next thing that they need to do is fix navigation, so routes can be modified by the user and those routes can be saved for reuse. Most of my forced disengagements are because the navigation is so counterintuitive. Chuck can't even test his Memorial Park drive without disengaging.

Do I expect any of the above soon? Nope.

That said, the next thing that they need to do is fix navigation, so routes can be modified by the user and those routes can be saved for reuse. Most of my forced disengagements are because the navigation is so counterintuitive. Chuck can't even test his Memorial Park drive without disengaging.
They need to introduce a method to change the route like we can do with Google maps etc - by just dragging individual road segments.

I can kind of do that with way-points but very cumbersome.

What do you think the next thing(s) will be that Tesla tackles for FSD development after 10.69.x? Parking lots (miserable!)? U-turns (nope!)?
My wish list includes:

* more varied driving profiles—driving in San Diego is very different than driving in a small town in Texas; chill is not enough
* (related to first one) start slowing down much sooner instead of braking last minute
* (related to first one) accelerate a bit slower; I don’t need to smoke everyone at every light
* better visualizations on speed changes and stopping intentions; the dark blue to light blue line to show intent to stop is a good start, but it needs to be more obvious IMO, and I’d also like to see an intended acceleration/deceleration curve represented, too
* right turns using the shoulder when it’s available, especially on rural roads where I’d rather not slow down to 15 mph to make a right turn with people behind me wanting to go 70 mph
* less erratic lane changing
* stops freaking out at night because it thinks one or more cameras are occluded
* stops freaking out when it’s raining
* starts to understand the general driving speed of the surrounding traffic; I’d want it to default to the speed limit and allow me to configure that it “go over up to 10 mph” when higher traffic speeds are detected (eg the gap in front of me starts getting bigger and the person behind me is riding my rear end)
* stop trying to change lanes to the left when it’s crowded and going just as slow
* understands time-based speed limit signs
* understands signs that say the speed limit is about to be lowered, so it can start slowing down
* avoids potholes

What's left for Tesla to do:

Emergency vehicles (medium difficulty)
Hand sign / one-lane construction zones (difficult)
Parking lots (difficult to do smoothly)
Highway single stack (medium difficulty)
Turning and crossing multiple lanes simultaneously (slowly getting better)
Eliminate jerky wheel (impossible for 100%)
Staying on right edge for right turns, especially squeezing by cars to do so
Everything else is just polish

For freeway trips through mountainous / hilly terrain, I'd like an optional TACC enhancement for when I really want to conserve range. TACC currently ignores the terrain and maintains the same speed regardless of it being flat or going up a mountain. However, going up a hill at 70 MPH takes more energy than the same speed on the flats.

So, I'd like to be able to give TACC the OK to automatically reduce its speed on the steeper climbs by something like 5 or 10 MPH (while remaining within the legal minimum). This would work similarly to the offset we already have for the max speed limit signs -- just in the other direction. Once the grade eases or the downhill begins, the speed would return to normal. The car could transition smoothly each time -- making it less noticeable.

Of course, it couldn't be too much of a speed offset since you don't want to be going too slowly and get in the way or get rear ended! And, there would need to be a passing lane present so people could pass if they like.

On longer trips, this could add up over time. If I'm in a hurry, I could just turn it off.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkForest
What's left for Tesla to do:

Emergency vehicles (medium difficulty)
Hand sign / one-lane construction zones (difficult)
Parking lots (difficult to do smoothly)
Highway single stack (medium difficulty)
Turning and crossing multiple lanes simultaneously (slowly getting better)
Eliminate jerky wheel (impossible for 100%)
Staying on right edge for right turns, especially squeezing by cars to do so
Everything else is just polish
Also:

Creeping
Stopping
Going
Turning (you had this in your list I guess).

I am not sure that the stopping and going is just polish. We will see.