Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wait, what is this referring to?
I’m wondering if she’s referring to how the AC sometimes chooses to blow from the top vents and bottom vents at the same time when on Auto, and if you’re wearing a short dress/skirt, then it can feel like it’s blowing air at your bottom.

I wish the AC wouldn’t do that since I always wear sandals, and it leaves my feet feeling super cold.

I’m wondering if she’s referring to how the AC sometimes chooses to blow from the top vents and bottom vents at the same time when on Auto, and if you’re wearing a short dress/skirt, then it can feel like it’s blowing air at your bottom.

I wish the AC wouldn’t do that since I always wear sandals, and it leaves my feet feeling super cold.
So have you tried this voice command? ..... "Turn off floor vent"

I've done very little night-time driving under FSDb since I was admitted to 10.12.2 in mid-June. But I had a couple of alarming forced disengagements on a night-time return from a rehearsal Tuesday about ten days ago. Then returning from the same rehearsal this most recent Tuesday, now driving 10.69.1.1, I disengaged twice on the same road as a week earlier, plus once out on the Interstate.

I surmised that the unifying cause was that the cabin illumination level fell too low for the system to consider itself working. I have had zero events of this distinctive kind in many hours of daylight FSDb driving, and for my two trips home at night the 5 events were on some of the darker places. But by no means dark. One was an urban Interstate about 9 p.m. , the other four on Paseo del Norte, which is a major arterial road here in Albuquerque, with two lanes each direction and a median and considerable traffic.

For a bit of testing last night, I drove in my neighborhood, Sandia Heights, which lacks street lights and where houses by both covenant and custom show little in the way of lights. I found that I could only drive a few seconds in FSDb before getting an event, while I could drive for minutes if either of the two dome (map) lights was on. So I consider the inadequate ambient illumination hypothesis very strongly indicated.

The event is quite distinctive, with three sequential notifications:

1. There is a raucous noise, and the red steering wheel of death appears, with the notification "Take Control Immediately"
2. There is a popup message with content similar to "Autosteer abort for system error"
3. There is a separate popup message advising:
Main: Cabin Camera is covered or blinded
Subtext: Uncover camera to engage Autopilot

While I had carried a dimmable headlamp with both red and white illumination imagining I could find a positioning and dimming level at which it would allow FSDb operation, my efforts failed. I was placing it on the phone charging station, which may not have given a suitable direction of illumination, as it did not help even when providing appreciable light. I did not experiment with other sources of cabin light increase aside from the dome lights.

Possibilities:
a. all FSDb installations behave this way, but many of you don't use it at night, or use it in more brightly lit places. (I know Omar has posted San Francisco city street videos at night, but suspect the ambient light there is much higher than in my I-25 or Paseo del Norte failure locations).
b. my car is defective, either by failing to provide sufficient IR illumination from two sources that an online video claims should be present in my car, or in some other way suffering lowered camera sensitivity.

Already this situation has helped to cost me the willing passengership of the man I was driving home from rehearsal this week. We live near each other, and it makes all kinds of sense to carpool, but he politely but firmly advised me that in the future he would be driving himself.

I consider FSDb not suitable for my nighttime use in this condition, which is a real surprise and disappointment.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Actually it didn't run the Red Light since it is an offset intersection. The Red Light Stop Line is here (Red Arrow) and the car stoped for the pedestrian where the car is in front. So it was actually over ½ through the intersection when it stopped for the pedestrian. So it MUST preceded in order to clear the offset intersection to the right for traffic (Blue Arrow).

EDIT: Also the offset street is ONE WAY street from right to left (Green Arrows) so there would not be any oncoming traffic from the left to worry about and it would have been a 100% block of that street to sit there. So Beta did the correct thing.

View attachment 850982
Just love how the pickup truck is rendered backwards by the fantastic sw but irl it is facing the correct way on the one way street.

We just moved from Austin to San Diego, and the price of gas finally made my wife drive my car. Now she can't get enough of it and even said how easy Super Charging was. Hopefully, the three-row SUV will be hitting the market soon.
You can get 7 seat versions of the Y and the S. Otherwise this is on the way…
1662845074180.jpeg

I've done very little night-time driving under FSDb since I was admitted to 10.12.2 in mid-June. But I had a couple of alarming forced disengagements on a night-time return from a rehearsal Tuesday about ten days ago. Then returning from the same rehearsal this most recent Tuesday, now driving 10.69.1.1, I disengaged twice on the same road as a week earlier, plus once out on the Interstate.

I surmised that the unifying cause was that the cabin illumination level fell too low for the system to consider itself working. I have had zero events of this distinctive kind in many hours of daylight FSDb driving, and for my two trips home at night the 5 events were on some of the darker places. But by no means dark. One was an urban Interstate about 9 p.m. , the other four on Paseo del Norte, which is a major arterial road here in Albuquerque, with two lanes each direction and a median and considerable traffic.

For a bit of testing last night, I drove in my neighborhood, Sandia Heights, which lacks street lights and where houses by both covenant and custom show little in the way of lights. I found that I could only drive a few seconds in FSDb before getting an event, while I could drive for minutes if either of the two dome (map) lights was on. So I consider the inadequate ambient illumination hypothesis very strongly indicated.

1. There is a raucous noise, and the red steering wheel of death appears, with the notification "Take Control Immediately"
2. There is a popup message with content similar to "Autosteer abort for system error"

While I had carried a dimmable headlamp with both red and white illumination imagining I could find a positioning and dimming level at which it would allow FSDb operation, my efforts failed. I was placing it on the phone charging station, which may not have given a suitable direction of illumination, as it did not help even when providing appreciable light. I did not experiment with other sources of cabin light increase aside from the dome lights.

Possibilities:
a. all FSDb installations behave this way, but many of you don't use it at night, or use it in more brightly lit places. (I know Omar has posted San Francisco city street videos at night, but suspect the ambient light there is much higher than in my I-25 or Paseo del Norte failure locations).
b. my car is defective, either by failing to provide sufficient IR illumination from two sources that an online video claims should be present in my car, or in some other way suffering lowered camera sensitivity.

Already this situation has helped to cost me the willing passengership of the man I was driving home from rehearsal this week. We live near each other, and it makes all kinds of sense to carpool, but he politely but firmly advised me that in the future he would be driving himself.

I consider FSDb not suitable for my nighttime use in this condition, which is a real surprise and disappointment.
I’ve used the FSDb frequently on rural roads that completely lack illumination, and I’ve never had those kind of issues. At most, it’ll say FSDb is degraded because the repeater or b-pillar cameras are occluded, but it continues to work.

I do have ambient lighting turned on, but it’s not enough to illuminate my face.

I’ve been wondering about the potential delay in the vision system. Not that they are mutually exclusive but I’ve noticed delay between reality and appears on the screen from the cameras. Now this delay post processing and decision making. But it potentially could be before as well. Regardless there shouldn’t be a delay between inc backing up and what appears on the screen. Even a fractional difference could make all the difference in any potential accident.
I’m actually impressed with the speed of image perception and display on the screen but I notice substantial lags in taking action based on that perception.

Reactions: willow_hiller

Possibilities:

I've used FSD often at night in suburban, rural and cross country interstate settings without cabin camera issue. 2021 M3. Maybe you have a camera issue that needs checked by the service center?

Violating my self-imposed gag on further comments; I am surprised this is resulting in confusion….Fairly sure that she is referring to the ventilated seats.

I’m actually impressed with the speed of image perception and display on the screen but I notice substantial lags in taking action based on that perception.
It was 1/2 second in the recent video which seems pretty poor but probably there’s not much incentive for them to reduce latency there. Hopefully control is much faster than that!

Friends do not let their friends drive them anywhere with FSDb; no surprises there at the moment.

Last edited:
Maybe you have a camera issue that needs checked by the service center?
A primary reason for my post was trying to decide whether to make my first ever service request. A complication is that Tesla has only one site in New Mexico, and that is over an hour away. So I'd be hoping for mobile tech visit. I've heard they tend to dismiss requests which make reference to behavior under FSDb, so I'd like to be pretty sure there is a problem before initiating the request. I still don't think I really know whether my 2022 Y long-range has IR illuminators or not. Plenty of online references claim that when they came to the S and X, 3 and Y did not have them. I can't see anything in the location shown by one person who posted a youtube video. But several sources assert that IR illumnators were added to 3 and Y not long after they appeared on S and X, and long before my Y was built in early 2022.

I did find a similar report on this forum from ArthurVan:

The thread died out in late July 2022. ArthurVan got "no trouble found", "FDSb funny" from service. Other people commenting thought he had a hardware problem with his car, as they had better experiences.

• Helpful
Reactions: FSDtester#1
A primary reason for my post was trying to decide whether to make my first ever service request. A complication is that Tesla has only one site in New Mexico, and that is over an hour away. So I'd be hoping for mobile tech visit. I've heard they tend to dismiss requests which make reference to behavior under FSDb, so I'd like to be pretty sure there is a problem before initiating the request. I still don't think I really know whether my 2022 Y long-range has IR illuminators or not. Plenty of online references claim that when they came to the S and X, 3 and Y did not have them. I can't see anything in the location shown by one person who posted a youtube video. But several sources assert that IR illumnators were added to 3 and Y not long after they appeared on S and X, and long before my Y was built in early 2022.

I did find a similar report on this forum from ArthurVan:

The thread died out in late July 2022. ArthurVan got "no trouble found", "FDSb funny" from service. Other people commenting thought he had a hardware problem with his car, as they had better experiences.
It doesn't cost anything to make a service request. My 21 M3 has no IR illuminator, so suspect there is none on the Y. Nonetheless, if your service request is canceled, you are no worse off.

Violating my self-imposed gag on further comments; I am surprised this is resulting in confusion….Fairly sure that she is referring to the ventilated seats.

It was 1/2 second in the recent video which seems pretty poor but probably there’s not much incentive for them to reduce latency there. Hopefully control is much faster than that!

Friends do not let their friends drive them anywhere with FSDb; no surprises there at the moment.
I drive ride share passengers almost daily using FSDb 90% of the time. Exceptions are unlined residential streets and downtown where the car doesn’t know what to do as confidently at speeds under 25mph

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life