Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read somewhere a long time ago that sign reading was a problem due to some contract with Mobileye, when AP1 was in partnership with them. I wonder if there is some legal issue they are working through to this day, or perhaps waiting for some timeframe to pass in the previous contract. It may just be a licensing issue, not sure, but it could explain why sign reading so far has been limited to speed limit signs.
Actually this was JUST Speed Limit signs. Mobileye patent was using a single camera to read and I believe Tesla got around it by combining data from multiple cameras to read them. Still reading and understanding all relevant signs while filtering out all the noise in a city will be a challenge.

It occurred to me last night that I may have a bit different perspective than most you. When I was young, we farmed with horses. We had an older brown horse that was compliant, friendly, "intelligent"(?), and seemed genuinely happy to do what was desired by the driver. We had 2 black younger horses that were inexperienced, unreliable, dumb animals. In the morning dad would hitch up the brown horse with one of the black ones and go work. Come in for lunch and for the afternoon swap out the exhausted black horse for the other one and go back and work for the afternoon. The brown one understood verbal commands and hand signals and either explained them to the black one, perhaps just by demonstration, and if necessary the occassional bite or head butt. We could hitch them up to the wagon and go to town to get whatever was needed and when ready to go home, just holler "Let's go home! Lay back and take a nap. I think I am being used as that brown horse, but if Dojo does well, it can take over as the brown horse and I can get back to where I was 90 years ago. ;)

It occurred to me last night that I may have a bit different perspective than most you. When I was young, we farmed with horses. We had an older brown horse that was compliant, friendly, "intelligent"(?), and seemed genuinely happy to do what was desired by the driver. We had 2 black younger horses that were inexperienced, unreliable, dumb animals. In the morning dad would hitch up the brown horse with one of the black ones and go work. Come in for lunch and for the afternoon swap out the exhausted black horse for the other one and go back and work for the afternoon. The brown one understood verbal commands and hand signals and either explained them to the black one, perhaps just by demonstration, and if necessary the occassional bite or head butt. We could hitch them up to the wagon and go to town to get whatever was needed and when ready to go home, just holler "Let's go home! Lay back and take a nap. I think I am being used as that brown horse, but if Dojo does well, it can take over as the brown horse and I can get back to where I was 90 years ago. ;)
Thanks - now I'm just going to think of myself as a brown horse when I get in the car. :)

You mean when you get into the horseless carriage?
CKA1W1uUYAEhlfi.png

I'm renaming my car to "Black Horse."

With so many people being upgraded now to 2022.36.2, I'm actually starting to believe Tesla might (I know, this is a long shot) be suppressing this update for those of us in the FSD queue who are currently on 2022.28.2. Several days ago, when I got in my car, I had a notification that the update for 2022.36.2 was available for download. I ignored it, as I learned my lesson when I upgraded to 2022.28.2 and thus was precluded from getting into FSDb with everyone else who was still on the 2022.20.x thread. It actually disappeared right after that, and hasn't returned yet.
I've heard others say the same thing happened to them (other people waiting patiently for 10.69.3 with the 2022.28.2 current load). So maybe Tesla is sending a signal that they don't want me to upgrade now, as I'm in line to get into 10.69.3 when it's release in the next week or two. Or maybe it's just random and there's no grand plan in place... In any event, I do hope to get 10.69.3 sometime soon so I can join the FSDb group!

For balance, yesterday mine decided to park itself behind 2 parked RVs instead of proceeding to the 4-way stop, because it thought they are waiting for the intersection.

Similarly, I came upon a roadside street sweeper. It was moving no more than 10mph and FSD wanted to tailgate-it through the neighborhood even though there was no cars parked on either side of the road and had plenty of room to pass. The street sweep driver must've thought I lost my mind.

• Funny
Reactions: thewishmaster
Well today it just tried to overtake a car stopped in front of the red light and with obvious brake lights. It can’t be more wrong than that.
That's bad. I had to go thro few roundabouts this afternoon. In one of them it could not decide which lane to take. Took the right lane and immediately moved to the left lane where the MB was moving. I have to turn right in another 100 ft and it should have stayed on the right. Embarassing to drive this car on FSDb.
During the daytime the car drives like a drunk driver and at night totally impaired.

With so many people being upgraded now to 2022.36.2, I'm actually starting to believe Tesla might (I know, this is a long shot) be suppressing this update for those of us in the FSD queue who are currently on 2022.28.2. Several days ago, when I got in my car, I had a notification that the update for 2022.36.2 was available for download. I ignored it, as I learned my lesson when I upgraded to 2022.28.2 and thus was precluded from getting into FSDb with everyone else who was still on the 2022.20.x thread. It actually disappeared right after that, and hasn't returned yet.
I've heard others say the same thing happened to them (other people waiting patiently for 10.69.3 with the 2022.28.2 current load). So maybe Tesla is sending a signal that they don't want me to upgrade now, as I'm in line to get into 10.69.3 when it's release in the next week or two. Or maybe it's just random and there's no grand plan in place... In any event, I do hope to get 10.69.3 sometime soon so I can join the FSDb group!
Are you sure you want to join the FSDb group? With "Strikes" on my back as a target I may be leaving soon. You can take my place.

Or maybe it's just random and there's no grand plan in place......
It's random. Or in any case, has never followed any discernable pattern detected by mere humans. Folks on TMC however will speculate till the cows come home. Based on nothing and meaning nothing. Mystical and imaginary patterns conjured by mediums of the dread. There is absolutely no reason to reject updates otherwise. And safety scores don't mean what they're cracked up to be either. Just smoke and mirrors qualifiers. Just go on about your business and you will get updates when you get updates. On the other hand, for those who enjoy fretting about things they will never understand or control this is a preferred picnic pod........

Last edited:
Reactions: legendsk
Pretty decent drives lately on .2.3. Biggest issue I’ve seen is when trying to execute a turn (left or right), if “blue” cars/vehicles are detected, the path planning of the attempted turn goes haywire. Jerky wheel, and weird path planned. It completes the turn, but in a really goofy way. Not all the time, but enough where it makes you weary of what it will do. It’s like it hyper-reacts to vehicles that are still moving around the car. I get it, but not necessary.

Otherwise, pretty decent. It’s gotten good enough that I’m disappointed it won’t pull into my driveway, or that of the destination I have set. First world problems…

That's bad. I had to go thro few roundabouts this afternoon. In one of them it could not decide which lane to take. Took the right lane and immediately moved to the left lane where the MB was moving. I have to turn right in another 100 ft and it should have stayed on the right. Embarassing to drive this car on FSDb.
During the daytime the car drives like a drunk driver and at night totally impaired.

Move to left lane immediately after right turn into rightmost lane is a new behavior on 10.69.2.x. It does this even when there is an immediate right turn next, so it would “weaving” at best, often miss the turn. This is kinda getting annoy for me.

Reactions: kabin and bhakan
I tend to think the language component is not since it isn't mentioned in the release notes
Rewatching the AI Day 2022 and reexamining the release notes, I believe the "language component" was introduced with 10.11:
  • Upgraded modeling of lane geometry from dense rasters (“bag of points”) to an autoregressive decoder that directly predicts and connects “vector space” lanes point by point using a transformer neural network. This enables us to predict crossing lanes, allows computationally cheaper and less error-prone post-processing, and paves the way for predicting many other signals and their relationships jointly and end-to-end.
It seems to match up with Karpathy's "GPT-like" comments when it was released:

With 10.69.x potentially sending back longer video snapshots than before, I expect Tesla to have lots of autolabeled Lanes ground truth reconstructed from multiple trips to incrementally improve both the language component and deep lane guidance for better lane selection in the upcoming 10.69.3.

I recently installed FSD Beta and after a week of using it, I am still experiencing something that I dont know the answer to, hoping someone here can. Overall, I live in a challenging environment for FSD. Lots of contstruction going on, lanes that dont make alot of sense at times, so its kind of hit/miss with FSD. Anyway, whenver I set a destination for home from wherever I am, as soon as we pull into my residential neighborhood, there dont seem to be any speed limit signs, so FSD continues to speed along at 25 mph right into my neighborhood and that is waaaay too fast. Perhaps we arent there yet with the upcoming things that FSD should adjust to, but are speed limit signs the only real way this is going to improve for now given the "Beta" nature. I pretty much have to disengage every time, it never slows down to 10 mph, it just cruises at same speed of 25 all the way down my street to the cul de sac.

I recently installed FSD Beta and after a week of using it, I am still experiencing something that I dont know the answer to, hoping someone here can. Overall, I live in a challenging environment for FSD. Lots of contstruction going on, lanes that dont make alot of sense at times, so its kind of hit/miss with FSD. Anyway, whenver I set a destination for home from wherever I am, as soon as we pull into my residential neighborhood, there dont seem to be any speed limit signs, so FSD continues to speed along at 25 mph right into my neighborhood and that is waaaay too fast. Perhaps we arent there yet with the upcoming things that FSD should adjust to, but are speed limit signs the only real way this is going to improve for now given the "Beta" nature. I pretty much have to disengage every time, it never slows down to 10 mph, it just cruises at same speed of 25 all the way down my street to the cul de sac.
Currently, it only changes speed when it sees a sign. In my area, driving 40 miles on the main street and then turning into the residential area is limited to 25mph. I have one end of the street where the sign is very close to the junction, by the time it finishes the turn, it mostly passes the sign and continues at 40mph which is too fast, but on the other end where it has enough time to see the sign, then it slows down correctly. This is the problem of FSDb which depends on speed signs, you can manually slow down before or immediately after the turn though.

California traffic codes have residential speed limits at 25MPH, so I think the car is just doing what's to code when speed limit signs are not available. You can wheel down to 10 as you indicated.

My feeder street into my neighborhood is weird. It's a continuation of a street with a 45MPH limit that crosses a large street (highway) with a 50MPH limit. When turning right from the large street into my neighborhood, the car immediately lowers the speed to 25MPH. But when crossing the large street from the 45MPH street, the speed doesn't drop and stays 45MPH until the street makes a 90 degree left bend, where it drops to 25MPH.

Some map speed limit update seems to only occur in certain conditions, not sure why. I've reported it and e-mailed the team about it.