Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also worth remembering that some relatively simple features could dramatically reduced disengagements.

Not an example of a safety-related disengagement, but I drive by multiple "No turn on red" signs and at least one "Do not enter" per day, and I have to disengage at almost every one, unless I'm lucky enough to have another car in front of me (that doesn't decide to disobey the sign themselves).
We have a few "do not turn on red" near me and 100% of vehicles turn anyway (otherwise you will hear a honk). So, I let it disobey the rules and turn ;)

We have a few "do not turn on red" near me and 100% of vehicles turn anyway (otherwise you will hear a honk). So, I let it disobey the rules and turn ;)
There is a freeway exit near me that is "No Turn on Red Arrow", so you can turn on a red light, but can't turn when the red light changes to a red arrow. This is due to a U-Turn only lane just before the intersection. When that U-Turn lane gets a green arrow, the freeway exit gets a red turn arrow.

So many people turn on the red arrow that police LOVE to hang out at the gas station on the corner and nail people. It's fun to watch. I also especially love the honkers when the red arrow is lit. I laugh SOOOOO hard when people get lit up by the cop after turning.

My car has been honoring “no turn on red” signs with this release. There are three intersections where I’m absolutely certain it used to blow past the signs and it now sits patiently waiting for a green.

if you don’t have to stop until they are in the flow of traffic then you’re requiring the pedestrians to step out into traffic in the hopes that people will stop. How safe is that?
Well, depends on local law and etiquette. In Arizona, if a pedestrian is even thinking of perhaps one day stepping out into the street, all traffic stops, until they crawl across that street. In New York City don't even think of putting a foot on the street unless there are just then no cars on that street, and you know you can cross before more appear, or traffic is at a dead stop at a traffic light and you believe you can scurry on across. Our common trauma in emergency, at Bellevue/NYU, was/is a pedestrian stuck. Example, grandma miscalculates, thinking she can cross the avenue before traffic starts up again, and she gets stuck in the middle of the 3 lane, one-way traffic, whizzing by on both sides at speed........and then bam, right in the crippled kisser.......

Last edited:
Reactions: ironwill96
Unrelated anecdote and OT: Right turns on reds are actually extremely dangerous for pedestrians (as well as slip right lanes). I was out running Monday and was hit by a car right turning on red. Lucky I saw it and was able to place my hands on the hood and press lift my legs to keep them from being hit.

Unrelated anecdote and OT: Right turns on reds are actually extremely dangerous for pedestrians (as well as slip right lanes). I was out running Monday and was hit by a car right turning on red. Lucky I saw it and was able to place my hands on the hood and press lift my legs to keep them from being hit.
Glad you’re ok. This is an area where FSD should be able to be significantly better and safer. Humans can only look in one direction at a time and the natural tendency is to be looking for traffic to your left meaning the pedestrian on the right gets missed. FSD can look both ways at once. It might annoy some driver when it stops but that’s better than hitting someone.

Beta tried to go when a light turned green with cars in front of me. Kinda strange and not sure if it would have stopped but I hit the brakes. Here is the (crappy iPhone) video that is a little long and the incident is near the end. Was coming up for a left turn and lead car changed into the left lane and then moved back. My car went into the left lane and I (CLEARLY) saw that a bus was broken down in the lane. My car just continued towards it as if it was stopped at the red light. At the last moment I activated the right turn signal to forced Beta to switch lanes or I would have been blocked by traffic. When the light changed Beta then accelerated forward like it was going to hit the car in front of me.

The first part is just showing some of the crazy obstacles faced one after another when driving in a city. Oddly the traffic was kinda light (mid morning). When Beta turned 3 of 5 lanes were blocked. The first lane by Utility and Beta moved to the 2ed lane which was the best. It then moved over a lane while a construction truck pulled out. Would have been better to stay in lane 2 but…….

But yet, when I’ve reported terrible stoplight related functionality, the answer has consistently been “oh, you are on the AP stack. The FSD stack is flawless at stoplight related tasks. “

Ok. 😂😂

Oh god, I immediately regret letting FSDb brake for those kids yesterday. School-yard rumors must spread quickly, and just a few feet away from the crosswalk where those kids were crossing yesterday, this happened this evening:

jump_out_clip.gif

They're actually waving their arms and jumping out into the street to see if my car will brake for them...

Last edited:
Thats really bad. One "good" thing here is people seem to treat "no right turn on red" cautiously. They always stop look around before turning .... much like FSDb ;)

Thats really bad. One "good" thing here is people seem to treat "no right turn on red" cautiously. They always stop look around before turning .... much like FSDb ;)
Yes BUT they are LOOKING to the left since there is no traffic to worry about from the right. I was crossing from the right. Also it was not a no Turn On Red. I'm just musing that right turns on red ARE dangerous to VRUs coming from the right.

FSDb does seem to struggle a bit with reflections at the moment. One day I happened to have a puddle placed exactly between my vehicle and a large metal pole, such that the reflection of the pole was visible in the puddle. While waiting at the light, FSDb rendered a grey obstruction in the middle of the intersection, right where the puddle was reflecting the pole. It disappeared when the vehicle proceeded through the intersection, as the angle sufficiently changed to reflect something else.
I predict that someone will create a giant hall of mirrors maze with drivable space that includes a few actual obstacles creating countless obstacle (and ego) reflections and then turn FSDb on in the maze. Should be entertaining.

I predict that someone will create a giant hall of mirrors maze with drivable space that includes a few actual obstacles creating countless obstacle (and ego) reflections and then turn FSDb on in the maze. Should be entertaining.
You're thinking of ludicrous self-driving beta.......you know, LSD-b........

I saw a post a while back with a link to a video of what looked like a huge hole in a tunnel. It was actually an illusion caused by a puddle that became clear when another car drove by and disturbed the water but it looked completely real when you first saw it.

Reactions: Oil Freedom