Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He could be using a S3XY button as well, to remote a touch to the scroll wheel, or some other trick.

If Tesla requires an actual touch to the steering wheel rather than a virtual touch then he's violating that agreement.
If Tesla still requires a touch to the steering wheel then my guess is Whole Mars followed this person's advice. He never answers the question of "why don't you get steering wheel nags". But I'm just guessing.

@WholeMarsBlog
Jesus, the Autopilot nag is so annoying.
@elonmusk stop making it bug us every 15 seconds. if it could accurately tell whether we are touching the wheel that was one thing. it nags even when holding the wheel requiring repeated action / looking away from road

Enhance - S3XY Buttons
@enhauto
It’s better when you touch/hold it from one side but the best for me is to use one S3XY Button with Hands-on function and press it from time to time

I'll use a stopwatch next time but it's much longer than it should be. You know how many people on this website gets their ass honked at stop signs?
In any event if there are NO cars within sight of any stop signs the car should proceed again after a full stop. It also seems to stop 10-15 feet before the stop sign also
You don’t need to use a stop watch, if you record - like a lot of us do. It’s definitely not 15 seconds for me. I’ll check videos of a few stop signs randomly when I get time. Ofcourse, we can check YouTube videos as well …

I installed 10.69.2.4 this morning, and when I put the car in reverse, I could swear it was a lot quieter. I thought my brain was being ridiculous by trying to find any sort of improvement for this minor release.

Turns out the audio (both in/out) was just completely messed up. Audio apps didn’t work, the FSD ding didn’t work, the mic didn’t work (said it was initializing), even the turn signals didn’t make a sound. Restarting the display brought back all audio including making noise when reversing.

Reactions: Ramphex
You didn’t even explain the differences or “further”. Try again, the first and bolded statements are not the same, repeating statements.
“Further”?
The statements are basically the same to me and certainly not inconsistent.

Who would ever say a year and three months from the middle of next year?
That also wouldn’t make sense because presumably the number of vehicles would increase after a year and three months and no longer be a million.

Minor release posing as a major release.
The Autopilot team has multiple groups and even within the neural network portion, there's probably at least 2 for the various top level networks: Objects, Lanes, Occupancy. One of the major architectural changes in 10.69(.0/1/2) was the new video occupancy network that FSD Beta now uses to respond to arbitrary things in the road. Those focusing on Objects, which used to be the primary neural network in 2021, were working on improvements in parallel and now it's ready as part of 10.69.3.

Here's how things were looking for the Tesla Vision plan back at AI Day 2021:
objects ai 2021.png

Even something as "simple" as using raw camera photon counts was desired over a year ago, and only now with 10.69.3 has it become ready for FSD Beta testing after many months of practical engineering optimizations throughout the whole stack:
  • Upgraded the Object Detection network to photon count video streams and retrained all parameters with the latest autolabeled datasets (with a special emphasis on low visibility scenarios). Improved the architecture for better accuracy and latency, higher recall of far away vehicles, lower velocity error of crossing vehicles by 20%, and improved VRU precision by 20%.
(To be clear, FSD Beta 10.9 from January introduced using 10-bit photon count streams for the relatively new generalized static object network -- now known as occupancy network, so those learnings and underlying capability allowed for Objects network to make the change.)

Also for the Objects network was AI Day 2022's introduction of the 2-stage / 2-phase split where this sparsification step enables efficient allocation of compute for real-time driving requirements:
  • 10.69: Upgraded to a new two-stage architecture to produce object kinematics (e.g. velocity, acceleration, yaw rate) where network compute is allocated O(objects) instead of O(space). This improved velocity estimates for far away crossing vehicles by 20%, while using one tenth of the compute.
  • 10.69.3: Converted the VRU Velocity network to a two-stage network, which reduced latency and improved crossing pedestrian velocity error by 6%.
  • 10.69.3: Converted the NonVRU Attributes network to a two-stage network, which reduced latency, reduced incorrect lane assignment of crossing vehicles by 45%, and reduced incorrect parked predictions by 15%.
objects ai 2022.png

On the surface, the Objects network is basically doing the same thing of taking camera inputs and outputting the same set of attribute predictions, but it required some serious practical re-engineering / refactoring to get it ready for wider deployment worth of a "major release." Not only is accuracy improved for safer city streets driving necessary for "wide release" without Safety Score requirements; but also latency and compute requirements are significantly improved for driving with single-stack at 80mph+.

I installed 10.69.2.4 this morning, and when I put the car in reverse, I could swear it was a lot quieter. I thought my brain was being ridiculous by trying to find any sort of improvement for this minor release.

Turns out the audio (both in/out) was just completely messed up. Audio apps didn’t work, the FSD ding didn’t work, the mic didn’t work (said it was initializing), even the turn signals didn’t make a sound. Restarting the display brought back all audio including making noise when reversing.
I always reboot after an update. Too many things go wrong if you don't

On the surface, the Objects network is basically doing the same thing of taking camera inputs and outputting the same set of attribute predictions, but it required some serious practical re-engineering / refactoring to get it ready for wider deployment worth of a "major release." Not only is accuracy improved for safer city streets driving necessary for "wide release" without Safety Score requirements; but also latency and compute requirements are significantly improved for driving with single-stack at 80mph+.

Very informative post, providing the context.

Certainly lots of changes and engineering enhancements. I guess I view these as laying groundwork and proving/debugging concepts that will allow wider release and single stack (things that I view as “major” steps).

Just because it is a “minor” release (by my definition) doesn’t mean there are not big changes under the hood. Perhaps that is what Elon was getting at, but from a customer-facing standpoint, it’s going to be highly incremental is my guess, appearing to be a minor step forward.

I only said it was posing as a major release because Elon claimed it was a major release posing as a minor release. Saying that raises expectations (which I believe is unwarranted).

• Funny
Reactions: YNoVA
There's some anectodal (so far) evidence that you need 2.4 to get to 69.3 though
I was thinking the same thing today. Not much reason to release 2.4 unless there isn’t a direct upgrade path from 2.3 to 3.

I drove some more on 10.69.2.4 this afternoon, and I noticed it’s a lot more aggressive. I’m not a fan of aggressive, but as I’ve learned before, I’ll get used to it. I’m optimistically hoping this means there’s greater confidence in 10.69.2.x, and that’s why they tuned it this way.

In case anyone wants 10.69.2.4, I can confirm the manual check in software tab will auto-start the download of this update
i think there’s something more to it then that… last night, while teslafi was showing several hundred downloads occurring i tried checking via the software tab to attempt to force the download. i also tried the two button reset. afterwards rechecking the software tab it showed the current time and that i was on the latest release 10.69.2.3… this morning i checked the release in the software tab again, this time it came back saying it was checking for updates and ultimately told me there was one, 10.69.2.4. something changed between last night and this morning!