Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A human can in fact apply constant torque. I do it all the time, my jokes and taunts about nag cheaters notwithstanding.

No they really cannot over any interval of any interest.

Easily distinguishable.

How often should that torque be varied to assure someone is paying attention?
It does not need to be varied. You just apply “constant” torque and all is well.

Easily distinguishable.

It does not need to be varied. You just apply “constant” torque and all is well.
Alan, you are straight-up contradicting yourself. Constant is ok and all that is required but it can't be done. You are also deflecting the issue and questions raised, the time assumptions......and you have no evidence at all about easily distinguishable. State the fact when making assumptions.

Last edited:
Hi All ,

There is another thread with people complaining that they get strikes
driving in near total darkness...

Some were corrected by checking the IR output on the cabin camera.
It's easy to do: At night or in the dark, your car must be "on", and the
drive selector in forward or reverse - Take a picture of the cabin camera
with a recent cellphone...
It will show if the IR illumination works or not...
If it does not work the camera cannot see your eyes in very dark situations.

IR Illumination by Cabin Camera.jpg

You should be able to see the IR "eyes" looking at you.
I was interested to see that they were not exposed LEDs
but inside of the camera housing and shining through
the plastic material of the housing...

Good luck,

Shawn

Hi All ,

There is another thread with people complaining that they get strikes
driving in near total darkness...

Some were corrected by checking the IR output on the cabin camera.
It's easy to do: At night or in the dark, your car must be "on", and the
drive selector in forward or reverse - Take a picture of the cabin camera
with a recent cellphone...
It will show if the IR illumination works or not...
If it does not work the camera cannot see your eyes in very dark situations.

View attachment 881050

You should be able to see the IR "eyes" looking at you.
I was interested to see that they were not exposed LEDs
but inside of the camera housing and shining through
the plastic material of the housing...

Good luck,

Shawn
Looks like you had to take the red-eye home.......

Without knowing where exactly you're running it, the routes within a region can have a big impact. YouTube has 10.69.3.1 Toronto videos that... well they don't show chauffeur-like driving.
Agree. If I want some zero disengagement drives that is easy to accomplish just pick routes that FSD does well. And same for disenagements just pick routes FSD fails on. I wonder what % of poor drives depend on map quality?

Easily distinguishable.

So if I understand correctly, your belief is that the human hand is always going to exhibit enough variation of force, without conscious effort, to be easily distinguishable from the force created by a nonhuman device? Speculating nags are deflected by applying just the right amounts of force, with just a touch of unnoticed natural variation. Why then does anyone ever get a warning with the hand on the wheel? A warning easily corrected by varying the applied force/torque. And why is there a time factor to distinguish this easily distinguishable occurrence? Tesla must recognize a constant torque with the human hand is possible, but rather doesn't believe that can be sustained for more than 10 minutes, say. Or are you going to suggest that warning only occurs when that hand relaxes excessively, not meeting some defined force limit? That has not been my experience but I'm open to interpretation. Or is the force ok but now that unfelt variation is not met? What happens with prosthetic limbs? Anyway, I can see it now, the future generation of nag cheaters will have variable vibrators and molecular weight particle accelerators or some such........

The internet is not a noted source for expanding minds........

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Pdubs
Hi @PACEMD ,

Red-eye, purple-eye whatever it takes to keep my car
and my wife happy... 🙂

It was close to home and near dusk, I was happy see
the IR illumination functional.
I drive in some dark areas, though not yet with the
cabin cameras activated.

Shawn
I think you meant to say keep my wife and then my car happy..........hopefully neither have TMC accounts........

Whenever someone says they have no problem with the Driver Monitoring System, I think of this

Mrs. Hard. You must learn resignation, my dear; for though we lose our [FSDbeta and Autopilot], yet we should not lose our patience. See me, how calm I am.

Miss Nev. Ay, people are generally calm at the misfortunes of others.

—Oliver Goldsmith (1730?–1774). She Stoops to Conquer.

Why then does anyone ever get a warning with the hand on the wheel?
Or are you going to suggest that only occurs when that hand relaxes excessively, not meeting some defined force limit?
Yes. However there are situations where torque is suddenly or constantly needed and even with decent but varying torque you can get a warning.

But generally with proper torque and no special situations you can go for hours without a warning.

So if I understand correctly, your belief is that the human hand is always going to exhibit enough variation of force, without conscious effort, to be easily distinguishable from the force created by a nonhuman device?

Yes. Been discussed many times for years now.

I’ve found that 10.69.3.1 seems to have fewer false nags, though it could just be that I have improved my technique. I just feel like earlier versions of 10.69 had some pretty serious unnecessary nagging in the presence of already applied torque. No longer seems to be an issue. Rarely get nags now.

Whenever someone says they have no problem with the Driver Monitoring System, I think of this

Mrs. Hard. You must learn resignation, my dear; for though we lose our [FSDbeta and Autopilot], yet we should not lose our patience. See me, how calm I am.

Miss Nev. Ay, people are generally calm at the misfortunes of others.

—Oliver Goldsmith (1730?–1774). She Stoops to Conquer.
Well-exampled, however, full self-driving was left to the horses or oxen in those days. Both of which did good jobs on the highways, but the city streets of London, a different matter altogether. Horse and carriage very much like FSDb. You've got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away, And know when to run. And that's not Dostoevsky's Gambler.......The misfortunes of others indeed.

Last edited:
Can not have been discussed for years, this new metric........

We have some very forward-thinking contributors here. From 2019…

We have some very forward-thinking contributors here. From 2019…

Right you are, my bad! We have indeed discussed in the past the differences between a natural and an artificially applied torque. And I mostly agree with your thoughts, just exploring some differences......,

We always did feel the same
We just saw it from a different point of view
Tangled up in blue........

A human can in fact apply constant torque. I do it all the time, my jokes and taunts about nag cheaters
Small but significant correction - a human can apply torque constantly but not constant torque.

The torque applied by a human will inevitably vary somewhat, hence people get warnings despite having their hands on the wheel. A weight will give a constant torque, altered only by the angle of the wheel. I assume this is how Tesla determines a weight is being used.

I feel your frustration with the false strike. I’ve gotten 2 or 3. For the most recent one I had my hands on the wheel and had dropped the speed using the scroll wheel less than 10 seconds prior. I was looking straight ahead and glanced down to check my speed and bam! I had a strike. There was no valid reason for me to get a strike, but there it was.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Small but significant correction - a human can apply torque constantly but not constant torque.

The torque applied by a human will inevitably vary somewhat, hence people get warnings despite having their hands on the wheel. A weight will give a constant torque, altered only by the angle of the wheel. I assume this is how Tesla determines a weight is being used.

I feel your frustration with the false strike. I’ve gotten 2 or 3. For the most recent one I had my hands on the wheel and had dropped the speed using the scroll wheel less than 10 seconds prior. I was looking straight ahead and glanced down to check my speed and bam! I had a strike. There was no valid reason for me to get a strike, but there it was.
The fun thing is that wheel weight users probably supplied a lot of the test data used by Tesla to hone the weight detection algorithm.