Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with the nags and driver attention algorigthm(s) is that you essentially have to learn how to drive an a way that satisfies the algorithm and spend part of your attention on a task that has nothing to do with driving (making sure the algorithm is happy.)

I have yet to find a position holding the wheel that's comfortable for me to maintain for a prolonged period and also makes FSD happy. To be honest, when I'm on a longer trip I spend more energy dealing with the nags than I do worrying about driving.

There is no way to change the car's speed limit setting. You can adjust the max speed setpoint with the right scroll wheel if need be.
It’s odd that there is no way to report this issue, though. There’s one spot in my area where the car will dip down to 20MPH in between two 30MPH signs for no obvious reason. I’ve tried reporting the issue to google maps, as they supposedly provide that data for navigation and speed limit, but it hasn’t been fixed since reporting like 10 months ago.

The point being he was doing something other than fully engaging, possibly. Like it or not, that's "out of bounds" for the beta test. The system erring on the side of caution right now doesn't seem to be a legitimate fault, just conservative.
Wrong.
I can adjust the radio. I can drink my coffee. I can look at the passenger next to me. I can flip Elon off in the car next to me. He had a phone on his chest, his hand was on the wheel and he was paying attention.

Read my post above - the system itself is actually a distraction which is a significant flaw.

Wrong.
I can adjust the radio. I can drink my coffee. I can look at the passenger next to me. I can flip Elon off in the car next to me. He had a phone on his chest, his hand was on the wheel and he was paying attention.

Read my post above - the system itself is actually a distraction which is a significant flaw.
The system specifically detects cellphones, so it may have triggered off of the phone being in front of the driver's body. Probably had to reach up to adjust the phone position periodically, which would definitely be seen as cell phone usage by the system.

Wrong.

Its just odd to me, the variation in people's nag annoyance. From ATL to Augusta last weekend, I only got one in 3 hrs. Why is it so easy for some to satisfy and difficult for,others?

I don't know but I get a lot of them while the car is doing turns. Really annoying to interact with the wheel while it's spinning. There should be some logic to only ask after turn is complete or something.
This may help some, but when my car is doing a turn, I release the wheel, and put my hands on the outside, applying a little bit of pressure with my fingers, but letting the wheel spin in my hands. This applies a little bit of resistance, enough to let the car know I'm here.

Specifically, if I am actively torquing the wheel, it will still come up and bug me about torquing the wheel. If I increase torque in the SAME direction, it won't satisfy the nag. If I release the torque and let the wheel free, it of course doesn't satisfy the nag. I have to torque in the opposite direction to clear the nag.
Yup, this has been my experience exactly.

While I'm "phantom driving" my car, if I'm applying constant right wheel torque 'cause the car is hugging the left side of the lane, I'll get the exact experience you describe, every time.

If your hands are on the steering wheel and watching the road, you will try to steer the car according to the road conditions. This steering intend should correspond to what FSD beta is trying to do. If the steering match exactly (which is unlikely if you are a human), there will be no error torque. A big mismatch will disengage.
This is exactly how I drive my car when FSDb is engaged, and since where I want the car to be never exactly matches where FSDb wants to be, I'm able to eliminate 99.99% of nags. However, if I'm in a situation where FSDb is hugging the left side of the lane, and I'm constantly applying right wheel torque, I'll still get a nag that requires me to let go of my right wheel torque and momentarily apply left wheel torque. That one situation is responsible for nearly 100% of the (extremely infrequent) wheel nags I get.

Lmfao this dog *sugar* just issued me a 3rd strike, without a warning, for having my phone on my chest recording the yoke and the dash with a wide angle view lens.

How convenient that they baked this *sugar* cabin camera protection into their *sugar* beta software so you can’t record how shitty it is.
I got a suction cup based phone holder to video stuff. It sticks to the roof glass, and keeps the phone out of site of the cabin camera. I've mounted it once to verify that it works, but then decided I can't be bothered to actually make any videos.

I got a suction cup based phone holder to video stuff. It sticks to the roof glass, and keeps the phone out of site of the cabin camera. I've mounted it once to verify that it works, but then decided I can't be bothered to actually make any videos.
I feel that… I’ve made like two videos with my GoPro mount in the car of FSD running stop signs - and only one is edited. Tesla doesn’t care, Elon doesn’t care, no point in putting in the time when they still give us half baked “FSD” and haven’t fixed the issue.

This may help some, but when my car is doing a turn, I release the wheel, and put my hands on the outside, applying a little bit of pressure with my fingers, but letting the wheel spin in my hands. This applies a little bit of resistance, enough to let the car know I'm here.
This technique sounds useful, but doesn't work at all with a Yoke. I accidentally disengage sometimes on turns when the yoke hits my hand (that's poised to take over if needed).

This technique sounds useful, but doesn't work at all with a Yoke. I accidentally disengage sometimes on turns when the yoke hits my hand (that's poised to take over if needed).
Take a look at Chris' videos (@DirtyT3sla) on Youtube. He has a Y that he's replaced the wheel with a yoke. You can see how he holds the yoke during all his FSD Beta drives. Hopefully that helps.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
The problem with the nags and driver attention algorigthm(s) is that you essentially have to learn how to drive an a way that satisfies the algorithm and spend part of your attention on a task that has nothing to do with driving (making sure the algorithm is happy.)

I have yet to find a position holding the wheel that's comfortable for me to maintain for a prolonged period and also makes FSD happy. To be honest, when I'm on a longer trip I spend more energy dealing with the nags than I do worrying about driving.
I have a couple places on the steering wheel to hold which essentially minimizes all nags and when I get tired just switch hands. (Model Y)
That's why every post on this thread could be prefixed by "for me" since there is so much variation in how each person experiences FSD.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Please confirm for our safety that you don't have a phone and suction cup in the cockpit while you are flying us around at 35,000 ft 😀 !!

Take a look at Chris' videos (@DirtyT3sla) on Youtube. He has a Y that he's replaced the wheel with a yoke. You can see how he holds the yoke during all his FSD Beta drives. Hopefully that helps.

AI Driver latest YT video he just removed his Yoke after a month. When he's driving he loved it. But for FSD he said it just got in the way too much.