Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
I wonder if Tesla is going to continue to improve the messaging displayed on the screen regarding it's actions. One thing I just thought of regarding UPL or UPR would be to say "car turning after car approaching from (right) or (left) passes". That would be amazing and would instill so much confidence and help with planning. Rather than guessing what the car will do. I think Chuck would be more at ease with his turns if this was done.

I just saw a video by Farzad Mesbahi on his 11.3.3 drive and the car tried to do a UPL and it was obviously too late and too slow leading to almost an emergency disengagement. I think if he had a message saying beforehand that the car was going for it he could have disengaged it prior to a dangerous situation happening.

I wonder if Tesla is going to continue to improve the messaging displayed on the screen regarding it's actions. One thing I just thought of regarding UPL or UPR would be to say "car turning after car approaching from (right) or (left) passes". That would be amazing and would instill so much confidence and help with planning. Rather than guessing what the car will do. I think Chuck would be more at ease with his turns if this was done.

I just saw a video by Farzad Mesbahi on his 11.3.3 drive and the car tried to do a UPL and it was obviously too late and too slow leading to almost an emergency disengagement. I think if he had a message saying beforehand that the car was going for it he could have disengaged it prior to a dangerous situation happening.

On one hand, messaging would be good. On the other hand my eyes are on the road in these situations so I probably wouldn’t see the message anyway.

On one hand, messaging would be good. On the other hand my eyes are on the road in these situations so I probably wouldn’t see the message anyway.
That's a good point. I think there's sometimes a bit of a pause when I think the car will try to make a turn and it surprises me when it doesn't or when I think it won't go and it tries to make it. I think if I know that a message will always appear I could quickly glance down and check if it will go when I think it will and that could help me brace for the actual turn.

Another thing I thought of is that the car still does the turn blinker on while waiting to change lanes and then turns it off if it doesn't find a space it likes right away and then turns it back on and then off and on. Humans don't do that. They just keep the blinker on and message to others that they want to change lanes and wait until the lane change is done.

That's a good point. I think there's sometimes a bit of a pause when I think the car will try to make a turn and it surprises me when it doesn't or when I think it won't go and it tries to make it. I think if I know that a message will always appear I could quickly glance down and check if it will go when I think it will and that could help me brace for the actual turn.

Another thing I thought of is that the car still does the turn blinker on while waiting to change lanes and then turns it off if it doesn't find a space it likes right away and then turns it back on and then off and on. Humans don't do that. They just keep the blinker on and message to others that they want to change lanes and wait until the lane change is done.
I do look down at the display when it’s approaching some turn lanes and I’m watching to see which lane the car will take, but only if there aren’t any other cars/VRUs or other potential accidents around.

I got V11.3.3 yesterday. I noticed it did fix one little issue. On the previous version of FSD beta, my car would turn on the turn signal for about 1 second and phantom brake just a little every time I passed this building on US40 as if the car briefly thought maybe it was supposed to turn into that building area. It was weird since the planner would show the car going straight. But V11.3.3 fixed the behavior. The car no longer turns on the turn signal or phantom brakes anymore when it passes this building on US40.

RDotdGQ.png

I've had 11.3.3 a few days now (coming from 10.69.x) . I'd say overall the big issue I'm having are wonky turns and lane changes. I had the car in the left lane (2 lane + right turning lane) cross two lanes to pass a car on the right in the right turning lane which was ending. That was pretty scary. Then today coming off the highway, the car needed to be in the left two turning lanes, but crossed one lane too far to the right while turning in the intersection. Overall safety is worse I'd say. It feels like a rush job to deploy by the end of the quarter (for financial or regulatory reasons). The new traffic sign behavior is annoying but hey if that's what NHTSA wants there's nothing they can do.

I do like the new visualizations.

While we're still beta testing the thing, voice announcements would be nice, as with the navigation system. Mostly just "proceeding", "stopping", "turning left", "turning right", "changing lane left", "changing lane right", "freaking out". Stuff like that.

While we're still beta testing the thing, voice announcements would be nice, as with the navigation system. Mostly just "proceeding", "stopping", "turning left", "turning right", "changing lane left", "changing lane right", "freaking out". Stuff like that.
Only with a toggle to turn that crap off.

The best thing they can do is adjust the driving to make it obvious what is happening. When a human is driving, as a passenger, you can usually tell what is going on.

But when FSD deviates from that natural behavior, it is confusing and results in disengagements (and lack of or late dangerous disengagements where there should be ones).

Has to do with timing of actions, acceleration, and the jerk. Correctly timed steering wheel movement, vehicle posture. And of course signaling, movement in lanes, etc.

A super easy task for a competent human who is attentive to passenger comfort.

Some people suggest that version 11 improved on this. We’ll see. One more point release end of week it seems - presumably working through the pareto.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1

I'd love to see more inner workings of path decision making but I suspect it wouldn't be confidence inspiring if the messages are as bipolar as the blue path frequently indicates.

Although path for V11.3.3 is slightly improved it remains a poor performer as demonstrated by wonky turns, lane selection, roundabouts, ....

Reactions: VanFriscia
I had a freaky experience after a right turn at an intersection. The steering began swerving wildy right and left related to a small bus turn out lane. Path was acting bipolar as it tried to figure out how to handle the extra lane that wasn't there a split second ago. The lane was only ~1.5 bus lengths long so it's clear to the casual observer where to drive. :)

I've had 11.3.3 a few days now (coming from 10.69.x) . I'd say overall the big issue I'm having are wonky turns and lane changes. I had the car in the left lane (2 lane + right turning lane) cross two lanes to pass a car on the right in the right turning lane which was ending. That was pretty scary. Then today coming off the highway, the car needed to be in the left two turning lanes, but crossed one lane too far to the right while turning in the intersection. Overall safety is worse I'd say. It feels like a rush job to deploy by the end of the quarter (for financial or regulatory reasons). The new traffic sign behavior is annoying but hey if that's what NHTSA wants there's nothing they can do.

I do like the new visualizations.
I agree with the idea of Elon wanting an end of quarter feather in the cap.

It's great that you can talk to the car to set most options while driving (instead of fiddling with menus on the screen). I'm always surprised that you can't set the car to vocalize back announcements, but are required to read text on the screen instead.

Reactions: JB47394 and JHCCAZ