Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
For me, 11.4.x has been a big step forward in confidence and has resolved several of my many issues. Yesterday it took us door to door from home to my daughters school with no interventions - a first time for that. It even navigated some construction and newly paved, poorly marked lanes.

On the return trip it pulled out in front of traffic and then attempted an unprotective left into oncoming fast moving traffic. So I am fully aware that it still can, and will, sheet the bed frequently.

I can't say a lot about 11.4.3 as I've only had it for a couple of days, but this was impressive:

Sentry video: Rabbit!

The car slowed and swerved for this little guy. I caught a glimpse on the visualization of a small animal (sorry I don't have cabin recording set up). I had never seen that before and was impressed that it detected and reacted to such a small animal darting out in front.

Yesterday it took us door to door from home to my daughters school with no interventions - a first time for that. It even navigated some construction and newly paved, poorly marked lanes.
I should mention that home to school is about a 50-50 mix of city and highway. The car still doesn't really merge... at all. Just runs out the ramp to the end and swerves in at the last. I haven't had the cajones to play with this in heavy or fast traffic yet.

For me, 11.4.x has been a big step forward in confidence and has resolved several of my many issues. Yesterday it took us door to door from home to my daughters school with no interventions - a first time for that. It even navigated some construction and newly paved, poorly marked lanes.

On the return trip it pulled out in front of traffic and then attempted an unprotective left into oncoming fast moving traffic. So I am fully aware that it still can, and will, sheet the bed frequently.

I can't say a lot about 11.4.3 as I've only had it for a couple of days, but this was impressive:

Sentry video: Rabbit!

The car slowed and swerved for this little guy. I caught a glimpse on the visualization of a small animal (sorry I don't have cabin recording set up). I had never seen that before and was impressed that it detected and reacted to such a small animal darting out in front.
V11 has been avoiding obstacles regularly, particularly small animals, but yesterday it tried to do this for a bag in the road and entered oncoming traffic with a car going 50 mph coming at me. My wife even chimed in saying that the car thought the bag was more important than our lives.

Where to begin...

Twice when making a right turn and a car was at a stop sign waiting on me the car started the turn and then stopped turning, but kept moving forward like it was going to hit the car. I obviously took over, but one time the car honked at me.

4 times yesterday .3 miles before my exit the car tried to move to faster lane. I allowed it once as I knew I could take the next exit to see what it would do and it was starting to miss the exit and then slammed on brakes (like 70-40) and try to jerk over.

Multiple times with a bag in the road or piece of trash the car jerked into oncoming traffic. The display showed a cone.

11.4.2 was great for me. It had issues with turn lanes (dangerously tried to enter them at 55 mph) and had issues with left turns (would stop in the middle of the road). It's still doing that, but introduced this other stuff.

I reset the computer, but I've had it since Saturday and it hasn't gotten better.
FSDj doing itself…. Wonder what 12.4.4 will bring?

Yes it does (only of late). If you use FSD a lot you’ll find it to be very annoying, because whenever you’re overriding the set speed (which is of course often unless you dial the scroll wheel all the time which is very fiddly and requires diverting attention from the road to figure out where you are at), it will beep at you (after a few seconds). Whenever the message came up before, now it also beeps.

Fortunately a thing of the past.
Maybe that's a Model 3/Y thing? It never, ever beeped in my refresh Model S, and I frequently override the speed with my pedal position.

I was stopped in a left turn lane and first in line with j11.4.3. A vehicle was stopped as well in the oncoming opposing left turn lane. Traffic is clear as the light turns green and FSDj just sits there. I wait a few and then try coaxing it along with an accel nudge. FSDj drives straight forward closer to the opposing vehicle and then continues to sit there. I disengaged and completed the turn. The opposing vehicle was not happy and gave FSDj a f-u honk.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
I was driving in the right lane of a two lane 40mph road when a vehicle from a left side residential side street merged by entering the median. FSDj immediately slammed on the brakes even though it was two lanes over. This was my first j11.4.3 instance of a failed cross traffic kinematics/path estimation.

Reactions: jebinc
Small jitter from steering control for micro-lane positioning

"I swear officer, I'm not drunk, I was just micro-lane positioning."

Seriously, if you think that everything that Waymo does is good, purposeful, and necessary, but everything that FSD Beta does is bad, accidental, and wrong, you need to check your biases.

Last edited:
I should mention that home to school is about a 50-50 mix of city and highway. The car still doesn't really merge... at all. Just runs out the ramp to the end and swerves in at the last. I haven't had the cajones to play with this in heavy or fast traffic yet.
You can always use the turn signal to make automated lane changes. I do this if I think FSD is not in the right lane or not merging properly.

So I had a great trip using 11.4.3 yesterday. Lots of pretty challenging situations and in general it did REALLY well. But here were a couple of things I noticed:
  1. I came to all-way stop. It stopped like it was supposed to. But there was actually a car parked right in front of the stop sign on one of the other roads. So my car basically said something to effect if "Waiting your turn". Not a problem I just tapped the accelerator to give it permission to go through. Easy-peasy.
  2. What was actually pretty annoying was that it kept a long distance (> half a car length) from the car in front of me when it came to stop and go urban traffic. This caused problems because sometimes drivers thought I was giving them space to merge in front of me, or were annoyed that I didn't pull up far enough so cars behind me couldn't creep forward.

Reactions: Yelobird
Does Tesla jump the stop sign at 1:10:11?
I rarely watch an hour long video ;)

But at 1:10:11 it waited on the car from the left and then moved. So didn't jump the sign.

One thing I noticed near my house is that instead of stopping at stop line and then again at the creep wall - it stopped once at creep wall and then moved on. If that is a new change - it's excellent news.

It never, ever beeped in my refresh Model S, and I frequently override the speed with my pedal position.
Just keep at it - make sure the message comes up - if you don’t see the message, no double beep (like some other alerts). With the caveat that this is now gone in latest software 2023.7.15 so is probably untestable for you now.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Can we get some moderation in here? The 12-year--old mentality over the last 5 pages is really getting hard to wade through.
Yeah, I won’t subscribe to this thread. So saying ”Will some moderator…” doesn’t do anything right away. Imagine if you left a post it note on a dumpster saying to first responders, “Please put out this fire.” Same idea.

Someone has to report a post in order for me to read posts here. Then I try to go back and snip all the mayhem. Since this is now nearly 40 pages of just mayhem, it’s going to be a while.

Unfortunately there is a LOT of collateral damage since most of the commentary on the dumpter fire is also getting snipped for expediency’s sake.

Yeah, I won’t subscribe to this thread. So saying ”Will some moderator…” doesn’t do anything right away. Imagine if you left a post it note on a dumpster saying to first responders, “Please put out this fire.” Same idea.

Someone has to report a post in order for me to read posts here. Then I try to go back and snip all the mayhem. Since this is now nearly 40 pages of just mayhem, it’s going to be a while.

Unfortunately there is a LOT of collateral damage since most of the commentary on the dumpter fire is also getting snipped for expediency’s sake.
FSD is a dumpster fire, so it all seems fitting.

I was stopped in a left turn lane and first in line with j11.4.3. A vehicle was stopped as well in the oncoming opposing left turn lane. Traffic is clear as the light turns green and FSDj just sits there. I wait a few and then try coaxing it along with an accel nudge. FSDj drives straight forward closer to the opposing vehicle and then continues to sit there. I disengaged and completed the turn. The opposing vehicle was not happy and gave FSDj a f-u honk.
I had the same issue a couple of times on 11.4.3 this week.

The other issue is the overall hesitancy and apprehension for other vehicles that pose no “threat” to your vehicle.

I’ve had it slowing way down for a vehicle up the road in a middle turn lane while approaching said vehicle, but no need to at all. It’s displaying the “threat” vehicle in blue, but the vehicle is stationary.

Some lane selections are fixed, as is the downhill stop sign near my house that it’s never got right in almost two years of FSDb.

There are also now lane selections that are broken. Leaving my office, it now wants to get into the left turn lane and pull into the school that’s about 0.1miles down the street from my office.

The minimum lane change for route does not fix a few of these problem areas for me.

Another thing, regarding highway behaviors:
When it passes a slower vehicle, why not get back into the right lane after the pass is completed? I hate how it hangs in the left/passing lane until someone is on your ass to move over, half the time, it doesn’t move over fast enough anyways, and the car on your ass ends up passing you on the right. It’s aggravating.