Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Very few posts now mention phantom braking. For me I wouldn't say phantom braking is completely solved but the reduction is significant. Better description is "unnecessary braking" when FSD overreacts to a car near me. Would others agree?
Yea, I feel like it is being extra cautious. I noticed it a couple of times when a road joins from the right and a car is rapidly approaching a stop sign. My guess is that the trajectory says there is higher probability of collision, until the car increases stopping for the stop sign.

I notice something similar (less frequently) on rolling curvy rural road when all of a sudden a car appears in the opposite lane. Especially on a curve I again suspect that the initial trajectory has a lot of uncertainty which eventually improves.

But it isn't so much that it is braking, more like it is lifting off the accelerator slowing the car down.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Very few posts now mention phantom braking. For me I wouldn't say phantom braking is completely solved but the reduction is significant. Better description is "unnecessary braking" when FSD overreacts to a car near me. Would others agree?

It's rare for me to experience a harsh braking event without knowing the reason why. But I'm often glancing at the visualization. Anyone not looking at the visual would still probably call it phantom braking.

One scenario where FSD Beta unnecessarily brakes most often is for vehicles in the on-coming traffic lane positioning themselves for a left turn across my lane. It will always highlight them in blue when it brakes.

It's rare for me to experience a harsh braking event without knowing the reason why. But I'm often glancing at the visualization. Anyone not looking at the visual would still probably call it phantom braking.

One scenario where FSD Beta unnecessarily brakes most often is for vehicles in the on-coming traffic lane positioning themselves for a left turn across my lane. It will always highlight them in blue when it brakes.
This is the cause of my abrupt breaking events. Even when I’m in the far right lane and the on coming car making the left is no where near impeding on the left lane in my direction. Sometimes it happens even after I have passed the car trying to make the left.

Trying to envision this. Which lane were you in and which direction were you turning?
Sorry for the messy explanation.

I was waiting on the left most lane, trying to turn left at the intersection. The road I'm about to turn is a 4-lane road. The car went directly from the left most lane to the right most lane (without touching the left lane) while turning left, all in one motion.

Hopefully that's more clear... 😅

Reactions: Dennisis
I didn’t go out when you came to town but had to yesterday. I fully expected them to not work at all but they not only worked, they slowed down and went intermittent when needed. First time I’ve used them and not had to manually shut them off or put them on intermittent myself.

I was surprised

The only time the wipers came on is when I pressed the wiper button lol

The only time the wipers came on is when I pressed the wiper button lol
Yeah, I had that with my first drive on 11.4.7 last night as well. (But yet it was displaying the FSD possibly degraded because of weather message, so it knew it needed the wipers.)

Other people have reported that after you have driven and the wipers didn't work, that once the vehicle goes to a deep sleep, i.e. no Sentry mode, they start working properly again. I'm not sure when I will get the next chance to drive in rain...

Yeah, I had that with my first drive on 11.4.7 last night as well. (But yet it was displaying the FSD possibly degraded because of weather message, so it knew it needed the wipers.)

Other people have reported that after you have driven and the wipers didn't work, that once the vehicle goes to a deep sleep, i.e. no Sentry mode, they start working properly again. I'm not sure when I will get the next chance to drive in rain...
Interesting. I’ll keep an eye on it for the next drive.

After a deep sleep and a 2 button reset. Auto wipers are working again for me.
They say humans can improve their athletic performance by practicing in their minds, and even dreaming over and over about shooting foul shots or hitting a curveball. The advice is to fall asleep thinking about the task.

Elon told us the car has a mind; this is just one more example!

This would make sense. My car was off a day longer than @Ramphex and I did a reset for another issue. Blows my theory of it just likes me better than the rest of yous guys
I did the two wheel reset, just haven’t tried to get it to also deep sleep. Well it’s been sleeping for a couple of days now so hopefully it’s deep enough 😅