Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Finally decided to give 11.4.7.2 a try over the last few days. Autopilot did OK until I got into some road construction. To the left was a temporary concrete wall close to the left lane limit mark. Did OK until the concrete wall got too close to the lane marker then the car started to slow too much so I had to take over. One place close to my house where the car thought it was a 55mph speed limit in the past has changed to it thinking the limit is 25mph. Better than 55 but now I have to speed it up. Also on one innocuous left turn it disengaged for no clear reason. Never done that before. All in all still very beta:)

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
One thing I did get for the first time with 11.4.7.2
While on the highway with FSD enabled, it was doing pretty darned well but I wanted to be in the right lane because on this section its always faster there.
I signaled as usual but the car just kept driving along in its current lane with the indicator flashing, completely ignoring the request to move over.
It happened again a few miles further down the highway, no traffic to speak of in the right lane (they're all in the left lane for some reason).
Both times I had to take over to move the car over, but still left a message for the team to ignore.
Commanded lane changes completely broken for me in 11.4.7.2 in the same manner you have described.

120 miles a day for my commute. Repeated multiple times each way.

It also "aborts" auto lane changes half way through the maneuver at an increased frequency for no apparent reason. Aggressively recenters in the lane it had just departed a couple times a day.

Reactions: jebinc
I feel uncomfortable defending the Tesla rain sensing approach because the IR source-sensor pair works so well for sensing rain in other brands of cars.

However, the Tesla approach probably could be made to work better. As the windshield becomes covered with droplets of rain, the front camera's vision becomes blurred, unlike the quoted sports analogy above. The Tesla approach attempts to adjust wiper speed based by comparing changes between successive front camera video frames. That all sounds good on paper, but in practice it has worked poorly.
I agree that it has worked poorly. When I compare my windshield with what the camera sees, it’s difficult for me to tell if what I see in the camera footage is representative of how the system “sees” it but a windshield can be almost impossible for me to see through IRL and undetectable in the camera view IMG_1992.jpegIMG_1993.jpeg

I think we all agree - the ‘auto’ wiper function is FUBARed In The current release(s).
What I don't get is - how did this get released ?

Clearly there is a degradation and I've not seen anyone say its better for them now. So, why even replace the "wiper" network. Surely they have tests that tell them it has got worse !

Last edited:
Commanded lane changes completely broken for me in 11.4.7.2
My lane change on request continues to work on 11.4.7.2. I've had that for a couple of weeks now. By chance you aren't referring to 11.4.7.3?

I've not yet been offered 11.4.7.3 - is anything fixed compared to 11.4.7.2? The early release videos seem to indicate some more regressions - might be another release to skip. And honestly I wish I had skipped 11.4.7.2 too.

If you still have 11.3.6, hang onto it. For me that was a much better release.

In a model Y loaner on 11.4.4 beta for 2 days now. I have never driven a Y until now.
Nice car. Compared to my MS Plaid, Beta is much worse. I don't know if the S has more compute or camera placement is more optimal because of the shape or height of the car. Either way, I feel for some of the peeps here, as I am not impressed.
Multiple disengagements and interventions in short drives that I don't have with the S.

One thing I did get for the first time with 11.4.7.2
While on the highway with FSD enabled, it was doing pretty darned well but I wanted to be in the right lane because on this section its always faster there.
I signaled as usual but the car just kept driving along in its current lane with the indicator flashing, completely ignoring the request to move over.
It happened again a few miles further down the highway, no traffic to speak of in the right lane (they're all in the left lane for some reason).
Both times I had to take over to move the car over, but still left a message for the team to ignore.
You may want to check your speed when doing the manual change lane to the right by signaling. If the heavy blue line exceeds the right lane vehicle ahead indicating that your car speed will lead to a collision with that car. So FSD will ignore your request!

In a model Y loaner on 11.4.4 beta for 2 days now. I have never driven a Y until now.
Nice car. Compared to my MS Plaid, Beta is much worse. I don't know if the S has more compute or camera placement is more optimal because of the shape or height of the car. Either way, I feel for some of the peeps here, as I am not impressed.
Multiple disengagements and interventions in short drives that I don't have with the S.
Cool that they let you use FSD on a loaner.

Cool that they let you use FSD on a loaner.
Yes, this is the 2nd loaner in a row with beta. The last loaner 2 months ago (S non Plaid) was still on 11.3.6 which I think the consensus is was the most stable. Loaners include unlimited supercharging. Also when I got home it updated to a newer version of 11.4.4, but I think it just added an additional language.
My warranty is getting close to running out, so I wanted to get all concerns addressed. Also an FYI, when they deleted the chrome and added black trim around the windows, those new black metal trim pieces fade and discolor pretty bad.
They tried to blame me for using car washes or letting sprinklers hit the trim and said they might not warranty it. I told them it's 💯 garage kept and never used a car wash.
I said if you don't believe me, just check all my locations I have traveled...
"I opted in for you to track me, so find 1 time my car was near a car wash".
That ended the discussion and they are replacing for free. Otherwise they wanted $2700 for those black trim pieces around our windows.
I also complained about never getting Steam or a tilting screen that we were promised at time of purchase. Also you MS peeps (and all other models if you didn't have availability) the extended warranty is now available again in the app. They took it away a while ago, but it's back.

For @Ramphex and @Pdubs they added the ability to reorder certain things if your dealer is unavailable... jk 😜

I agree that it has worked poorly. When I compare my windshield with what the camera sees, it’s difficult for me to tell if what I see in the camera footage is representative of how the system “sees” it but a windshield can be almost impossible for me to see through IRL and undetectable in the camera view View attachment 984101View attachment 984102
If you have time, post a new video. I am subscribed to your channel and watch all your videos. Your pov is very good.
If you want more subscribers, add your SO to your videos.
Watch that subscriber count jump!!!

To be frank, I would have bet money that the S/X would have been worst - as Tesla optimizes for the volume models. I can not imagine the Y version being, “worse” than the junk running in the refreshed model S.

My warranty is getting close to running out, so I wanted to get all concerns addressed. Also an FYI, when they deleted the chrome and added black trim around the windows, those new black metal trim pieces fade and discolor pretty bad.
They tried to blame me for using car washes or letting sprinklers hit the trim and said they might not warranty it. I told them it's 💯 garage kept and never used a car wash.

I had that black trim discoloration on my Model 3 and again on my first early VIN Model Y. Interesting that it only happened when I used a car wash (touchless). Easily fixed by using a damp cloth with WD-40. Tesla did finally fix the black chrome discoloration problem. Doesn't happen on my new HW4 Model Y.

11.4.7.3 arrival this morning so I got back to testing FSD beta at least this once and did my usual test run. Wasn’t really expecting any difference because this seems to mostly be about the brake fluid notification recall.
Although it signaled too late and braked to forcefully, it did manage the left-hand turn off of route one onto the 45° intersection so that’s a plus.
Missed stopping for a stop sign, but stopped for imaginary stop signs a couple of times. Ignored one stop sign, which was not mine, but stopped at another, also not mine. Still drove much too far to the left on unmarked roads, and the unchanged release notes to refer to returning to the center, as if that was an appropriate thing to do. Drove directly towards a woman with a dog on the opposite side of the road because it was so far over to the left.
At least it doesn’t seem any worse.

I‘ve been really enjoying FSDbjwtf. I get to a situation where I know it’ll do wtf and I take over. I’m letting it fail 3x on it own in certain spots then i just know. I’ve been reading a lot of these too and I’m not seeing it. Used it In my loaner X I had a few weeks ago and it was unpleasant. It is better in the S in my experience as well.

If you have time, post a new video. I am subscribed to your channel and watch all your videos. Your pov is very good.
If you want more subscribers, add your SO to your videos.
Watch that subscriber count jump!!!
It's supposed to rain again soon, I'll definitely do that. At the risk of sounding amateurish, what is an SO?