Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
My first drive on FSD Beta 11.4.9 was actually quite good, the best so far. It was an easy 7 miles with just a few protected turns and stop signs. But it was smoother and more assertive. It was zero intervention the whole time.

The one change I've noticed so far is more confidence in scenarios where it needs to make a lane change immediately after a turn. It's quickly turning into the appropriate lane at an angle, and then quickly initiating the required lane changes.

The one change I've noticed so far is more confidence in scenarios where it needs to make a lane change immediately after a turn. It's quickly turning into the appropriate lane at an angle, and then quickly initiating the required lane changes.

Thanks.

I've also noticed that FSD beta seems to nudge itself a bit in the opposite direction from the turn. So for example, at an intersection, when it needs to turn right, it will move a bit to the left before turning right. I suspect this is done on purpose to give the car more space to make the turn.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
The new version seems somewhat solved the wiper problems ... now if I leave the auto on and set it to intermittent level then it will dry wipes whenever I am in park, once I started moving, the wipers stopped, will have to wait until it rains to see. It still tries to drive into turns lane prematurely but at least it signals now and at one time it brakes a few feet into the turn and quickly swerves back to the main lane - bad decision.

The new version seems somewhat solved the wiper problems ... now if I leave the auto on and set it to intermittent level then it will dry wipes whenever I am in park, once I started moving, the wipers stopped, will have to wait until it rains to see. It still tries to drive into turns lane prematurely but at least it signals now and at one time it brakes a few feet into the turn and quickly swerves back to the main lane - bad decision.
See above post from Teslafi reviewers... wipers still suck, it seems.

Notice the "wiping action" of this junk .gif! 😆

IMG_0141.gif

Last edited:
  • Funny
There have been a number of complaints so far. Seems to be intermittent at best.
It will rain here in Christmas, will see. For the record, I never liked the performance of the wipers anyway, it works but never performed well whether it is intermittent timing or fast enough in heavy downpours but not working at all in intermittent mode is just exhausting.

Reactions: jebinc
Even though there's only two days left on my three month FSD trial, I still got the holiday update this morning, and moved from 11.4.4 to 11.4.9 and... oh dear. There is phantom braking where none before and aggressive stops at stop signs with slamming on the brakes the last metre or so, followed by hard acceleration. While trying to follow a car going slower than the set speed it repeatedly accelerates a bit and then slows down too much, requiring acceleration again. The car will aggressively try to turn left after stopping at an intersection, only to suddenly become paralyzed with indecision and try to stop halfway through the turn. Once, turning left while waiting for oncoming traffic, it kept turning the wheel and trying to creep into the oncoming lane traffic. All this over about a 8 km drive. It went from somewhat usable with strict supervision to basically unusable. If the idea of the three month trial was to get people to buy FSD, I feel it's been a complete failure.

The amorphous blobs that compose the "high fidelity" parking assist are worse than what was there before as there's way more visual distraction on the screen that is not meaningful. No people who have USS should be upset that they're not getting this (yet).

Thanks.

I've also noticed that FSD beta seems to nudge itself a bit in the opposite direction from the turn. So for example, at an intersection, when it needs to turn right, it will move a bit to the left before turning right. I suspect this is done on purpose to give the car more space to make the turn.
My car on 11.4.7.3 had been doing this for maybe the last week or 2, usually a bit too close to the car on the other side and where I would never make such a move as it's totally unnecessary. So I don't think this is new to 11.4.9

Reactions: diplomat33
Even though there's only two days left on my three month FSD trial, I still got the holiday update this morning, and moved from 11.4.4 to 11.4.9 and... oh dear. There is phantom braking where none before and aggressive stops at stop signs with slamming on the brakes the last metre or so, followed by hard acceleration. While trying to follow a car going slower than the set speed it repeatedly accelerates a bit and then slows down too much, requiring acceleration again. The car will aggressively try to turn left after stopping at an intersection, only to suddenly become paralyzed with indecision and try to stop halfway through the turn. Once, turning left while waiting for oncoming traffic, it kept turning the wheel and trying to creep into the oncoming lane traffic. All this over about a 8 km drive. It went from somewhat usable with strict supervision to basically unusable. If the idea of the three month trial was to get people to buy FSD, I feel it's been a complete failure.

The amorphous blobs that compose the "high fidelity" parking assist are worse than what was there before as there's way more visual distraction on the screen that is not meaningful. No people who have USS should be upset that they're not getting this (yet).
Thanks for the update; yes... happy to still have USS - but we all know that Telsa will disable them at some point and force us to use the inferior TeslaVision (like they did our radars)...

FSDj v11.4.9…..

IMG_0143.gif