Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
This is my 3rd Model S and I love my car. I traded my 2016 Model S90D, with FSD, in on my 2023 Model S LR. My S90D had radar, ultrasonic sensors, cameras, and stalks for turn signals. Removing radar and ultrasonic sensors from all Tesla cars destroyed the ability for Tesla to ever achieve autonomy level 5 with the current level of hardware, especially if it is raining. Removing the stalks has also made the car harder to drive.

Yesterday, I used FSD 2023.44.30.9 while driving. It was not raining but the roads were wet because it had been raining. There was not a lot of cars on the roads so there was not a lot of spray from cars in front of me. I got a message, "Poor Weather, FSD may be degraded". If I were on a highway passing an 18 wheeler, I could understand that the visibility was bad and I should have gotten this message.

Tesla made a mistake in removing the stalks from the steering column to save money. I have identified two issues:
  1. When I turn right into the Costco parking lot, there is an immediate left turn. The steering wheel is 1.5 turns to the right, so if is nearly impossible to turn on the left turn signal for the left turn. At 1.5 turns to the right, the turn signals are now on the right instead of the left, and the left turn signal is on top instead of on bottom.

2. On a different trip, I put gloves on because it was 20 degrees and guess what, you cannot wear gloves and use any of the buttons on the steering wheel.

I ceramic coated the windscreen but did nothing with the cameras. I can’t offer an opinion on how good or bad it is as I don’t really pay that much attention. It amazes me how everybody is so detailed n their experiences with everything. It makes me extremely envious and makes me want to be a better man. Mostly it’s because I forget how good or bad it is. What do I need to do?
Ignorance is bliss. Paying attention is very painful.

As it actually says in the manual Not to use windshield additives I never use them. If you want auto wipers to never go on sure coat the screen in front of the camera and while you won’t see the cameras won’t and the wipers will never activate.
I have been using Rainx on the rear camera consistently on my cars. As for the windshield on my current MS I have been using a glass cleaner my detailer recommended and use Norwich cloth for the whole windshield. I have not had any wiper issues except at the beginning or during the Spring or Fall season I was getting dry wipes when the pollen or leaves will cover it.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I ceramic coated the windscreen but did nothing with the cameras. I can’t offer an opinion on how good or bad it is as I don’t really pay that much attention. It amazes me how everybody is so detailed n their experiences with everything. It makes me extremely envious and makes me want to be a better man. Mostly it’s because I forget how good or bad it is. What do I need to do?
Sometimes we enjoy the car so much we forget these :)

Reactions: LSDTester#1
This is my 3rd Model S and I love my car. I traded my 2016 Model S90D, with FSD, in on my 2023 Model S LR. My S90D had radar, ultrasonic sensors, cameras, and stalks for turn signals. Removing radar and ultrasonic sensors from all Tesla cars destroyed the ability for Tesla to ever achieve autonomy level 5 with the current level of hardware, especially if it is raining. Removing the stalks has also made the car harder to drive.

Yesterday, I used FSD 2023.44.30.9 while driving. It was not raining but the roads were wet because it had been raining. There was not a lot of cars on the roads so there was not a lot of spray from cars in front of me. I got a message, "Poor Weather, FSD may be degraded". If I were on a highway passing an 18 wheeler, I could understand that the visibility was bad and I should have gotten this message.

Tesla made a mistake in removing the stalks from the steering column to save money. I have identified two issues:
  1. When I turn right into the Costco parking lot, there is an immediate left turn. The steering wheel is 1.5 turns to the right, so if is nearly impossible to turn on the left turn signal for the left turn. At 1.5 turns to the right, the turn signals are now on the right instead of the left, and the left turn signal is on top instead of on bottom.

2. On a different trip, I put gloves on because it was 20 degrees and guess what, you cannot wear gloves and use any of the buttons on the steering wheel.

I have turned on the wheel heater lately to warm my hands. I feel very comfortable. No gloves for me.

Breaking: FSD's biggest proponent has reached consensus with team FSDj...

Don't usually watch this person but since the "only game in town" I watched a video. He starts by announcing "it will be curb to curb without intervention". At 1:40 he is tunring right and announces there is a bike coming. He allows FSD Beta 12 to pull out in front of and cut the bike off and then says nothing about it. Here is FSD showing the bike before the turn and then the bike passing him after he cut them off. This is very dangerous and unacceptable in the making of a YouTube video.

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 1.41.29 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 1.40.33 PM.png

Don't usually watch this person but since the "only game in town" I watched a video. He starts by announcing "it will be curb to curb without intervention". At 1:40 he is tunring right and announces there is a bike coming. He allows FSD Beta 12 to pull out in front of and cut the bike off and then says nothing about it. Here is FSD showing the bike before the turn and then the bike passing him after he cut them off. This is very dangerous and unacceptable in the making of a YouTube video.

View attachment 1011543View attachment 1011542
Hi is a 🤡

View attachment 1011543View attachment 1011542

I don't follow regularly either. He posted one today that was probably the first one I've ever actually watched for more than 5 seconds. I actually would recommend it if I dig up the link. He did live commentary and I think portrayed it realistically. V12 actually seemed pretty decent but with some of the usual struggles around pedestrians/bicyclists and uncertain parking lot situations. Cautiously optimistic for something a bit better than today.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
The other thing I’d point out is if you’re paying attention, you anticipate circumstances that might cause issues and are either ready to grab the wheel or actually place your hands on the wheel.

And this is why we keep both hands on the wheel even before anticipating circumstances.

Path planner flipped out (car seemed to know due to red hands which seemed basically concurrent with disengagement).

Can keep an eye on the leather seam on the steering wheel to see the deviation - unfortunately too dark to see my hands moving with the wheel.

Caught it quickly but not fast enough to not freak out a nearby car (who was not in danger).

Good riddance, path planner. I'm sure the neural nets will never do this. ;)

I have turned on the wheel heater lately to warm my hands. I feel very comfortable. No gloves for me.
I have steering wheel heat on Auto so that it automatically turns on. I also turn on the heater when the car is plugged in at home in to keep from using the battery to heat the car.

I was away from home, the temperature was 20 degrees, and thought I would check to see if gloves would allow me to use the buttons on the steering wheel. Except for this time, I do not put on gloves.

Reactions: rlsd
I have steering wheel heat on Auto so that it automatically turns on. I also turn on the heater when the car is plugged in at home in to keep from using the battery to heat the car.

I was away from home, the temperature was 20 degrees, and thought I would check to see if gloves would allow me to use the buttons on the steering wheel. Except for this time, I do not put on gloves.
I wonder if those capacitive button gloves works on the MS steering wheel buttons.

My problem with gloves is it's difficult to enter pin to drive, open glovebox, select location and route and other things on the touch screen.

And this is why we keep both hands on the wheel even before anticipating circumstances.

Path planner flipped out (car seemed to know due to red hands which seemed basically concurrent with disengagement).

Can keep an eye on the leather seam on the steering wheel to see the deviation - unfortunately too dark to see my hands moving with the wheel.

Caught it quickly but not fast enough to not freak out a nearby car (who was not in danger).

Good riddance, path planner. I'm sure the neural nets will never do this. ;)

I can't really see what you're referring to in the video, but I've had it 'freak out' on me and I'm able grab the wheel before it leaves the lane and arguably faster than if I had my hand through the wheel as was suggested. Like I said - the critical part is paying attention.

Reactions: Dennisis and enemji