Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
It was more interesting to see how it does in a situation where visibility or marking are very poor
Yeah, this is part of the reason why I somewhat expect single stack to do better on highways in snowy conditions than the legacy stack very focused on lane lines that could get covered up by snow or sand/dirt/salt.

More generally, it's these types of edge cases that FSD Beta should significantly improve, but that also means it'll probably be trickier for people to test and notice the differences of FSD Beta 11 in regular highway situations.

Anybody have more concrete examples highway situations that need one/more of:
  • relying less on lane lines
  • maneuvering around obstacles and people
  • understanding surroundings with 360º temporal and spatial memory

Highway/freeway lane lines are gonna be tricky as usually with FSDb frequently interpreting concrete and pavement grooves or shadows as lane lines. Sometimes an extra lane is added to a freeway/highway via lane width compression so vehicle tires need to straddle or drive on top of those grooves. It's scary how FSDb can focus on one dominant line, a nonlane line, and try to drive off the road.

With as much difficulty FSDb NNs appear to have generalizing now, I can't imagine much success using the same NNs for all weather conditions. If so then the team will need to duplicate training and testing different NNs for different weather conditions. That could get ugly fast.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Sometimes an extra lane is added to a freeway/highway via lane width compression so vehicle tires need to straddle or drive on top of those grooves.

AP stack also does this, for example on I-15S, east of MCAS Miramar, in some lighting conditions (not always I think because I definitely think I have had success sometimes).

People also sometimes do it but only when they’re not paying attention.

Anyway, just have to follow the actual lane lines. Like a human. Or if no lane lines, just follow the natural lane.

• understanding surroundings with 360º temporal and spatial memory
This came up in the other thread about poor highway onramp merging behavior on 10.69:
onramp-merge-jpg.893064

Are there other common highway annoyances that should/could be fixed with single stack?

Typically highways are more likely to have 3+ lanes, but that can happen on city streets too, so have people experienced better planning for vehicles that are 2 lanes away? Pretty sure legacy stack only looks at the adjacent lane to decide to make speed-based lane changes, so if the immediate adjacent lane is your speed but 2 lanes over is clear/faster, NoA doesn't bother getting into that faster lane.

This is probably the first time Elon has referred to V11 as a major "improvement" rather than just enabling highway or architectural change.

Exactly, people need to realize his timeline for adding single stack or Actually Smart Summon is not coming soon... Notice how elon doesn't mention things, and when/if he does it's always "2+" weeks out..

There isn't even any video, so it's not there at all...

They're still fixing major "improvement" (bugs) roundabouts, rain, snow, etc.

Exactly, people need to realize his timeline for adding single stack or Actually Smart Summon is not coming soon... Notice how elon doesn't mention things, and when/if he does it's always "2+" weeks out..

There isn't even any video, so it's not there at all...

...video of what? The only people who have gottten 11.x so far are Tesla employees, who get fired if they post video of it.

...video of what? The only people who have gottten 11.x so far are Tesla employees, who get fired if they post video of it.
Personally I am interested in seeing video of:
  • Actually Smart summon in action or testing
  • Reverse smart summon in action or in testing
  • Autopilot (freeway) using newer graphics, handling things better than other automakers Lane Keep Assist can do..
  • Multiple camera awareness
  • Smooth transitions from FSD to AP.

Thus your claim the lack of the video means the features don't exist seems somewhat a non sequitur?
I'm in the boat of.... It's always way further away than Elon has ever indicated.. He (in my eyes) would do better if he would put out tidbits of great information but then overdeliver. To be able to trust the information, and times that come out are accurate, or have a transparent reason why.

edit: as for the features existing.. donno.. it will get there.. eventually.

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday
Highway onramping for me has ALWAYS been a problem for over a year now… the car just can’t go from a one lane on ramp to accelerating to get into the right lane of 280 with any confidence or capability…it’s very very odd as this is the same type of on-ramp just up the road from legacy Tesla HQ

Highway onramping for me has ALWAYS been a problem for over a year now… the car just can’t go from a one lane on ramp to accelerating to get into the right lane of 280 with any confidence or capability…it’s very very odd as this is the same type of on-ramp just up the road from legacy Tesla HQ

Even on 25.1? I've used 25.1 for every highway on ramp and haven't done a single intervention yet.

Even on 25.1? I've used 25.1 for every highway on ramp and haven't done a single intervention yet.
Depends on Map speed. For eg today on ramp speed was 25 - I knew there was a problem and bumped the speed up. Rest NOA handled fine (or was that FSD - have to check visuals to confirm).

Reactions: powertoold
Depends on Map speed. For eg today on ramp speed was 25 - I knew there was a problem and bumped the speed up. Rest NOA handled fine (or was that FSD - have to check visuals to confirm).

I literally just took an onramp in moderate rain right now, and 25.1 confidently picked a spot between two cars, speeding up to 70mph and when 25.1 merged, the car behind was only about 15 feet away.

In the past, it would speed up and then hesitate and start braking to try to get behind the behind car.

Reactions: pilotSteve