Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Here's an example intersection with the various points I'm talking about illustrated:

- Red is point where the stop sign is located (which is at least a couple feet further back than one needs to stop)
- Blue is the "logical edge of the intersection", in this case formed by edge of the cross walk
- Green is the creep limit where past this point you'll block cross traffic

Humans generally stop around the blue line (maybe a little past), unless pedestrians are present (in which case the position of the pedestrian and giving them 3-5 feet of clearance takes precedence)

creep limits.jpg

1678661237172.png

Interesting thing is - so far, no reports of any major regressions on highways.

This leads me to believe some of the delays in the last month or so are because of recall rather than highway regressions.

Yeah this is good but I have seen videos with highway drives with people disengaging at times. Truthfully highway NoA has gotten so so so good that I barely ever have a disengagement except for a particular reason (mostly personal preference). To me any amount of unexpected disengagement would be a fairly noticable regression.

Here's an example intersection with the various points I'm talking about illustrated:

- Red is point where the stop sign is located (which is at least a couple feet further back than one needs to stop)
- Blue is the "logical edge of the intersection", in this case formed by edge of the cross walk
- Green is the creep limit where past this point you'll block cross traffic

Humans generally stop around the blue line (maybe a little past), unless pedestrians are present (in which case the position of the pedestrian and giving them 3-5 feet of clearance takes precedence)

View attachment 916933

View attachment 916932
You spent a lot of time writing two huge posts to avoid looking up your state's traffic laws for stop signs?

You spent a lot of time writing two huge posts to avoid looking up your state's traffic laws for stop signs?

Lol, fair enough, yes I did.

Here's the law:

Except when directed to proceed by a police officer, every driver of a vehicle approaching a stop sign shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering it.

It's pretty clear that the location of the stop sign itself is not relevant.

After watching several V11.3.1 videos seems that a lot of the regressions are happening more on city streets than highways which seems counterintuitive to what we (or I) expected. Wonder if Tesla was so into fine tuning Beta for highway/Interstate speeds that they overfitted for highway and the regressions show up more in city street driving? Seems judging the distance of other cars has regressed the most.

Also the more I watch the more polish I see as being needed. I'm starting to suspect it is going to take a few weeks and a couple of point releases before it is ready for wider release.

Interesting thing is - so far, no reports of any major regressions on highways.

This leads me to believe some of the delays in the last month or so are because of recall rather than highway regressions.
The lack of major regressions on highways shouldn't be a surprise but apparently is for many. I would have been very surprised if there had been.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Where the stop line, or logical "edge of the intersection" is located
Fairly sure the state rules say we should stop here.

ps :

What You Should Do At A Stop Sign
Operation STOP in Missouri encourages drivers to:​
Stop: Come to a complete stop at a stop sign or stopped intersection, at the painted line, before the crosswalk or just before the stop sign.​
Think: Count to at least three after stopping to ensure you have taken the time to scan for any oncoming vehicles and that they have had the time to see you.​
Observe: Keep a close eye on approaching vehicles from all directions (including the street directly across from you).​
Proceed: When it is safe, move forward through the intersection. Remain aware of all approaching vehicles so you can react as necessary.​

The lack of major regressions on highways shouldn't be a surprise but apparently is for many. I would have been very surprised if there had been.
The reason people were expecting regressions was because the current NoA stack is quite mature and stable. As such, rewriting and combining it with the rest of FSD meant that even small bugs would cause regressions.

Yeah this is good but I have seen videos with highway drives with people disengaging at times. Truthfully highway NoA has gotten so so so good that I barely ever have a disengagement except for a particular reason (mostly personal preference). To me any amount of unexpected disengagement would be a fairly noticable regression.

I'm surprised there are no regressions being commented on (AFAIK). I'd have expected some regressions to have been noted by now ...
When you compare the complexity of controlled access highway driving to city/streets driving highways are much much simpler. After a few V11 point releases FSD on restricted highways should be fairly close to L3. What FSD lacks now is a consistent handoff to the human driver with enough time to take over on edge cases like Mercedes is trying to do. It's not unreasonable to think Tesla could approach this functionality, just for controlled access highways, by the end of 2023. Doesn't appear this would require hardware 4.

Yeah wasn’t NOA already working on non USS cars? Want it things like summon, parking and the like that aren’t working on non USS cars for time being?
My car has USS, hence why I want NOA to work even tho a sensor is presently non-functional. It seems that this is not a thing they considered with 10.69. FSD will change lanes fine as it’s vision based but NOA will not change lanes at all on a USS equipped vehicle when one sensor is non-functioning.

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam