Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
If someone takes delivery of a new car now, and has fsd purchased, what is the actual process now? Is safety score still a thing, or is it just a waiting game once enabled to get the update like it was in the old days staring as Tesla Fi obsessing over time zones and models to speculate when you would get an update?

It really is mind boggling at some of the people “YouTuberTeslaShills” they get the Betas first as “testers” 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

I think it's the other way around. For as long as I can remember, there has been an exclusive "early access" group that Tesla chose. They originally signed NDAs and Tesla pushed test firmware to this group for feedback (way before FSD).

Naturally, if you have access to such exclusive stuff, it would help you start a successful YT channel. Elon kinda confirmed this when (much later) he eliminated the NDAs, saying that it didn't seem like anyone was following them anyway, referring to all the YT content showing pre-release firmware features, which really took off when FSDb became a thing.

If someone takes delivery of a new car now, and has fsd purchased, what is the actual process now? Is safety score still a thing, or is it just a waiting game once enabled to get the update like it was in the old days staring as Tesla Fi obsessing over time zones and models to speculate when you would get an update?
I think it mostly depends on what is already on the car. If it is running a branch ahead of current FSD then it will be a while...

I think it mostly depends on what is already on the car. If it is running a branch ahead of current FSD then it will be a while...
Wonder why they don’t make the fsd beta versions numerically far “ahead” of the stable branch so that at any given time a new subscriber can opt in and get the download even if there are several stable releases in the in between time.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow and jebinc
I have a bit of a conundrum coming up. I took delivery of a M3P on Feb 25th and opted into an FSD subscription specifically to test out FSD Beta. On a USS-Less 3 or Y, FSD without the beta is practically meaningless - no autopark, no summon, etc.. It's definitely not worth $200/month IMHO. Since I knew the safety score was no longer a thing, I thought the Beta would just instantly be activated. Caveat emptor I suppose, although in my defense the recall wasn't announced yet.

Here's the conundrum - do I let the subscription renew on the 25th and remain opted in to FSD beta or cancel it? If I cancel the subscription, does that opt me out of beta? If so, I suppose I might get a non-FSD firmware update that takes me from factory 2022.44.200 to 2023.X.X and then go to the back of the line for 11.3. If I keep it active, I'll probably remain on 2022.44.200 and might get 11.3 sooner since it's on a 2022 branch, but I might pay another $200 for nothing if it takes another month to rollout to new firmware cars.

Kinda crazy that its this complicated to determine if/when you will obtain functionality you are paying $200/month for. Caveat emptor again - I knew things would be wonky and its a beta - but still sucks to be stuck in this weird half-baked state.

Wonder why they don’t make the fsd beta versions numerically far “ahead” of the stable branch so that at any given time a new subscriber can opt in and get the download even if there are several stable releases in the in between time.
It has to do with the branch all the rest of the car's features are on. If you look at something like TeslaFi you can see that there were a number of releases already this year that included a bunch of new features and bug fixes for cars that don't include FSD, and that no FSD release has included the base software from this year yet. I'm a bit surprised it is still done that way; was expecting things to sync up a bit.

I thought I heard someone mention that they thought cars were always running the FSD stack to generate data about what it predicted versus what drivers actually did. I assume that isn't true for all cars (since it seems like not all cars have the FSD stack?).

Safety score is no longer a thing, but it's still anyone's guess as to when your factory firmware will be updated to an FSD beta compatible version. Additionally, you also have the recall to contend with, so new cars can no longer get any version of FSD beta other than 11.3.X - since that is the release that addresses the recall issues. So far, 11.3.2 has yet to rollout to any 2023 models with factory firmware - that I know of - but hopefully that will happen over the next week or two as the larger waves start rolling out.

I have a bit of a conundrum coming up. I took delivery of a M3P on Feb 25th and opted into an FSD subscription specifically to test out FSD Beta. On a USS-Less 3 or Y, FSD without the beta is practically meaningless - no autopark, no summon, etc.. It's definitely not worth $200/month IMHO. Since I knew the safety score was no longer a thing, I thought the Beta would just instantly be activated. Caveat emptor I suppose, although in my defense the recall wasn't announced yet.

Here's the conundrum - do I let the subscription renew on the 25th and remain opted in to FSD beta or cancel it? If I cancel the subscription, does that opt me out of beta? If so, I suppose I might get a non-FSD firmware update that takes me from factory 2022.44.200 to 2023.X.X and then go to the back of the line for 11.3. If I keep it active, I'll probably remain on 2022.44.200 and might get 11.3 sooner since it's on a 2022 branch, but I might pay another $200 for nothing if it takes another month to rollout to new firmware cars.

Kinda crazy that its this complicated to determine if/when you will obtain functionality you are paying $200/month for. Caveat emptor again - I knew things would be wonky and its a beta - but still sucks to be stuck in this weird half-baked state.
I was thinking of doing the same thing but I also didn't want to blow $200 in the hopes of getting the beta software with vision enabled on my non USS car and then possibly lose it after opting out. So does your 3 have vision enabled right now?

Kinda crazy that it’s this complicated to determine if/when you will obtain functionality you are paying $200/month for. Caveat emptor again - I knew things would be wonky and it’s a beta - but still sucks to be stuck in this weird half-baked state.
Kinda crazy would be depending on a forum of strangers to decide how you spend your money or how to make a decision for you. Lol. Do don’t do that’s a You question.