Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
but the improvement in 11.3.3 has completely changed my highway drives. I
This is wonderful and welcome, but unrelated.
Just allow an option to limit FSD to only when you've merged onto the highway with the "minimal change lanes" setting on.

It is doable if Tesla wants to.

I think it is really difficult to say this with any confidence.

Anyway, V11 has failed the wife test (surface street scenario). Took 10 minutes. Asked me to stop having it drive this way, and asked me why I insisted on continuing to subject her to this garbage. (I did tell her in advance that it was a new version and wanted to see how it did, so that everything was in the open - since I am not allowed to use FSD under normal circumstances.)

On the upside, without FSD in those cases, I will now have more relaxing time in the car while driving.

It doesn't speak well to the planner's time horizon. "I'll just instantaneously pop through this gap in traffic..."
Has been this way since the beginning. Stability is way better now but this sort of thing is still routine even on a planned route (seems like it should be completely ruled out as a possibility by the tree so not sure what is up, but nothing new).

Last edited:
I was in 2022.44.100 since I picked up my 2023TMYLR7 on February, Today morning I finally got the long waiting FSD software update 2022.45.14, couldn't wait to test it, so after half an hour I took the car for a ride and it was amazing. It is true there were some hick ups but I can live with that. I grew up watching the Knight Rider, it took me back in those days. I am very happy to get it (The limitation I saw was well expected.... and I believe it will be less and less day by day.... )

I was in 2022.44.100 since I picked up my 2023TMYLR7 on February, Today morning I finally got the long waiting FSD software update 2022.45.14, couldn't wait to test it, so after half an hour I took the car for a ride and it was amazing. It is true there were some hick ups but I can live with that. I grew up watching the Knight Rider, it took me back in those days. I am very happy to get it (The limitation I saw was well expected.... and I believe it will be less and less day by day.... )
Your Tesla's name better be "Kitt" !

Reactions: alaminsumon
Very common. Planner is primary. If a little ADHD.
Yesterday on my first drive - FSD did something weird. There is a sharp turn (120 degrees or so) that it used to take wide. Sometimes completing the trun very smoothly - some other times jittery.

Yesterday, it tried a sharp turn instead of wide. But a car from the perpendicular direction came and stopped blocking the path a bit. FSD straightened and started going towards the curb. I turned the wheel to make sure it won't touch the curb ... but noticed I had not disengaged i.e. the car by itself corrected the path !

This is the most fked up rollout of software in a while
It does seem very odd, unprecedented for sure. And while it would be IMHO totally inappropriate, something about it makes me think it IS related to some April 1st “fools” type of joke or funny. Like they are all going to increment up to .11 or something. There can’t possibly be a need for this many versions if not branches.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
This is wonderful and welcome, but unrelated.

I think it is really difficult to say this with any confidence.

Anyway, V11 has failed the wife test (surface street scenario). Took 10 minutes. Asked me to stop having it drive this way, and asked me why I insisted on continuing to subject her to this garbage. (I did tell her in advance that it was a new version and wanted to see how it did, so that everything was in the open - since I am not allowed to use FSD under normal circumstances.)

On the upside, without FSD in those cases, I will now have more relaxing time in the car while driving.

Has been this way since the beginning. Stability is way better now but this sort of thing is still routine even on a planned route (seems like it should be completely ruled out as a possibility by the tree so not sure what is up, but nothing new).
The alternative is she could always Walk! Hard to imagine having my wife tell me what to wear and how to drive….lol

Reactions: FSDtester#1
11.3.5 Non-USS Park Assist test:

1. Parallel parking: excellent. It can detect accurately 8-10 inch distance from the curb.

2. Open parking lot: very good. It can detect 12-24 inch distance from the park stop both from the front and rear of the car (tail-in park).

3. In-door garage parking: not working. When the car is about more than 4 feet from the wall, it tells me 12 inches. Similarly when I got in the driveway and the garage is closed.

It looks like the intention of this version is only to detect the low park blocks in the parking lot and the street curbs.
It's still good for me because I am not good at parallel park.

Reactions: geekfam
have any of you arguing that the settings are fine actually had a chance to test the new ones?
I did some more highway driving today, and it doesn't seem to matter if I select Chill, Average, or Aggressive; in all cases the following distance was approximately 2 seconds. (Tested from 50 MPH to 70 MPH.) Which is OK, but I would prefer it left even more distance.

I didn't encounter any stop-and-go traffic, so I can't comment on behavior in that.

Good News - Bad News.

The good news is that update 11:3.4 was available for download. I started the download.

The bad news is that the update stopped downloading at 50%. After about 10 minutes of it being hung at 50%, I did the 2 button reboot. When the displays came back on I lost the update. I clicked on software and it said my car's software was up to date.

If the download hangs on you, you may want to wait longer than 10 minutes.

I did some more highway driving today, and it doesn't seem to matter if I select Chill, Average, or Aggressive; in all cases the following distance was approximately 2 seconds. (Tested from 50 MPH to 70 MPH.) Which is OK, but I would prefer it left even more distance.

I didn't encounter any stop-and-go traffic, so I can't comment on behavior in that.
Yeah when you’re just cruising that’s fine, when traffic is all backed up it’s not if you’re trying to get past it.

Good News - Bad News.

The good news is that update 11:3.4 was available for download. I started the download.

The bad news is that the update stopped downloading at 50%. After about 10 minutes of it being hung at 50%, I did the 2 button reboot. When the displays came back on I lost the update. I clicked on software and it said my car's software was up to date.

If the download hangs on you, you may want to wait longer than 10 minutes.
Yes never ever do a reboot during an update. It could have had to reinstall software.

Reactions: willow_hiller
The bad news is that the update stopped downloading at 50%. After about 10 minutes of it being hung at 50%, I did the 2 button reboot.
Yeah, it wasn't stuck, it was just busy. Likely unpacking what it had downloaded and validating it. I have seen it take a couple hours while reporting 50% before. But usually the download happens while I'm not paying attention so I have no idea how long it normally takes. (The install is similar in that it can sit at certain percentages, like 60%, for a long time.)

I think large flat homogenous surfaces don't present enough differences....they become invisible.
I think Tesla does not detect the wall yet. USS cars detect the wall obstruction. The interesting part is the car can detect the park blocks way below the car body. This is contrary to what Munro guessed couple months go. The diagram in the link indicates the car cannot detect anything lower than 1 feet.

Last edited: