Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
So far I am actually pretty impressed with V11.
Side note: I would normally hate a road trip with mostly straight interstate driving... Funny how with FSDb V11 I am now excited to test it out :)
Let's see how V11 does on a long road trip with mostly highway... to be continued...
Not sure what version you're on but 11.3.3 FSD won't move out of the passing lane without manual intervention. Maybe your version fixes that.
Highway merges also need a lot of work since FSD zip merges will probably wait until the very end of the lane to merge which is fine but only if there is space. Sometimes doesn't happen and then you'll have to disengage or intervene. Merges are lousy still.

Other than that highway driving is pretty good especially compared to 69.x
If you really want to take it easy enable the minimal lane change setting just don't fall asleep.

Not sure what version you're on but 11.3.3 FSD won't move out of the passing lane without manual intervention. Maybe your version fixes that.
Highway merges also need a lot of work since FSD zip merges will probably wait until the very end of the lane to merge which is fine but only if there is space. Sometimes doesn't happen and then you'll have to take disengage or at least intervene.

Other than that highway driving is pretty good especially compared to 69.x
If you really want to take it easy enable the minimal lane change setting just don't fall asleep.
69.x did not do highway driving… the four year old stack did…

Let's see how V11 does on a long road trip with mostly highway... to be continued...
I did 4400 miles a few weeks ago on Navigate on Autopilot. It was a breeze. My greatest complaint was lane changes, where NoA would make a change for a pass in its usual abrupt manner, then sit there like a dummy for a few seconds before slowly accelerating. FSD 11.3.3 fixes that, so I would expect a really enjoyable highway experience.

Today was second Sunday for me. I drive 400km round trip to Toronto every Sundays.

This time, I let it drive a bit more than I usually let it do, just to see where my comfort zone lies with this version.

Highway FSD is really amazing! I just toggle "minimize lane change" depending on situations. I don't recall it doing any bad moves during this trip.

Once, I was busy talking to my wife and once again it turned the signal on. I looked left blind spot as usual to make sure it is safely performing the lane change but it moved to the right lane instead! Yup, it was actually the right move. I would have missed that exit without FSD... lol.

Within the city limits, I used minimize lane changes more often. It stays solid within the current lane, and only changed for me if it absolutely needed to do to get to the destination.

Very few hard acceleration and brakes during this trip, certainly much less than 69.

It's nice to see tha car appropriately slows down when max speed drops all of a sudden.

My wife is impressed with this build. 😄

Drove with 11.3.4 today, both city and freeway.

Some of the small behaviors in town are generally the same (blinker usage, creeping where it doesn’t need to, stopping too short at some lights, etc), but I did notice slightly smoother braking behavior on downhill stretches that end in a stop sign. Previously it would slam on the brakes 1/2 or 2/3rds of the way through and now it’s more natural in slowing down.

The recall-related “stop to 0 mph” combined with gentler braking behavior seems to add another few seconds to stopping at stop signs.

Also a nice bonus is that it no longer slows down too much on curves on the freeway and the acceleration when merging to the faster lane is a nice bonus.

The change I like least is the lane selection behavior. For example NoA would try to move to the left (to a “good” lane) fairly quickly after entering the freeway; this one actually waits until much later, which doesn’t work for that particular scenario. Similarly choosing some of the wrong lanes when exiting was a bit annoying, though they were mostly suboptimal rather than disengagement-causing. On the upside it also avoided making some of the same unnecessary or unnecessarily early lane changes on the freeway.

Few issues I ran into - trying to get out of the left turn lane to pass the car in front (?), ignoring the green light to go straight likely in favor of the left turn light that was red, losing the lanes for a second and starting to go into the rightmost left turn lane when the leftmost one was the correct one, and probably a few others I’m forgetting.

Standout feature is the voice prompt after every disengagement, even if it just lets us vent and no one sees it 😁

11.3.4 is great overall, still a lot of polishing to do:

1) Starting and stopping is still a bit too rough, not consistently smooth (like from a stop sign)

2) More unnecessary braking for me vs 25.2 (although it's more smooth braking but happens more often)

3) It properly handles right turns by cutting into bike lanes now (because of this, I have much fewer disengagments)

4) Had to disengage twice because of unprotected rights creeping too far or unnecessarily when cars were still oncoming

5) Highway is awesome, but I wish there was a way to specify alternate routes because I don't always agree with the routes for my commute

Last edited:
I drove on local and highway where I have driven many times. Definitely, there are some improvements on the highway driving. Especially, when the car enters it quickly moves to the next left lane unlike in earlier builds where it will linger on the far right lane after entry with blinkers on waiting for A good samaritan to give room. Now, it just takes off on the highway just like a human driver.

Exiting highway is not great. It missed on two occasions where the planner had the correct lane but the car did not make a swift lane change. I had to disengage both times.

On local roads no major hiccups and stopped just before the stop line in red light and started quickly and pretty well.

No abuse of the blinkers and they were used only when needed.

Not much nagging at all. Maybe just a couple in the entire drive which was an hour an there was lot of traffic.

Good News - Bad News.

The good news is that update 11:3.4 was available for download. I started the download.

The bad news is that the update stopped downloading at 50%. After about 10 minutes of it being hung at 50%, I did the 2 button reboot. When the displays came back on I lost the update. I clicked on software and it said my car's software was up to date.

If the download hangs on you, you may want to wait longer than 10 minutes.
Good news!

After a few hours, 11.3.4 downloaded again and I installed it.

I drove about 15 miles using it today and my only issue is when I am 15 car lengths behind a car stopping at a stop light, FSD does not start slowing down soon enough to stop without heavy braking. I normally use regen to to bring my car down to around 9 miles an hour before I press the brake pedal.

I still have an issue that I had with 2022.45.25.5 FSD. When I have FSD activated without a destination, instead of following the road for 2 miles traveling North in my neighborhood, the car turns right and left at 4 different streets and into a community club parking lot. This did not happen when I used Autopilot on the previous version. It consistently turns on the same streets and parking lot.

If I turn FSD on without a destination when traveling South on the same road for 2 miles, the car does not make any turns for the same 2 miles.

I’m sure FSD will work as well as the new vision system for parking. Embarrassing. Absolutely embarrassing.

This image sums up Tesla perfectly.

View attachment 924353
That's right, when I went to get my cream earlier I did try to autopark in the CVS parking lot...... it backed half way into two spots, directly over the white line, then started to pull forward and another car came around the corner, then it got all confused and I had to take over. It was a bit annoying because I had to cancel auto park first before I can take over. I'll have to try it again somewhere quiet without other cars possibly interrupting it do it's magic.

Definitely a lot of promise on the freeway. Seems like much more natural lane change behavior and has made some fairly impressive lane changes to hit exits. I do like the moving for trucks though it is too exaggerated and as others have said it should take all traffic into account - and why not do this for all vehicles especially those drifting in lanes?

Unfortunately it does not know how to slow down or adjust speed on the freeway and had jerky behavior for cut ins, and weird slowdown behavior when it went to make a pass on the right. And slowing traffic is a disaster as usual. Any opportunity to jerk you around, it does it. So little improvement with the main issue with AP (which let’s be honest, is pretty bad, except on open highway, where it is extremely useful and good.) so far. But lots of very promising and welcome expansion in capabilities elsewhere.

The continued inability to determine how to react to the speed of traffic in front under any circumstance is very troubling though.

Hopefully they can have a breakthrough soon in this new technology and solve this vexing issue.

I guess I would summarize as:
Open highway: little benefit to FSD, just better treatment of lane merging/branching etc. is the only thing I can think of that would be better handled. And moving for trucks I guess but usually a non-issue on interstates. Guess I will see on a road trip.

City: quite a few enhancements that are welcome around tighter curves, with threading through traffic, etc. It may be possible to take interchanges now, though I have only tried one - 56W to I-5 bypass south (previously, as is well known, no real interchanges could be taken on AP, though this one could, with warning about curvature).

Not sure it is worth the $3k (now $6k I guess, don’t keep track) for that enhancement yet.

How are people doing with speed bumps? For me 90% are missed so I end up disengaging and file a report for what good it will do.
Most have warning signs and most are painted. Speed bump support hasn't changed since I started. Always bad.
It would be great if Tesla allowed a way to add speed bumps but then you can be sure someone would add speed bumps where they don't exist just for fun.
There are moments where it clearly gets it and there are times when it just doesn't seem to recognize them (not soon enough for me anyway). The only disengagements that I have recorded a voice memo are speed bumps so far.

In earlier versions it looked like it "saw" speed bumps but was inconsistent at planning for them. I wasn't able to notice today if the visualization was recognizing the ones it didn't slow down for. It feels like there is specific training for speed bumps yet. Appropriate slow downs are probably just luck where the general planner recognizes that going fast was not the thing to do.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I had my first opportunity last night to try out V11. 3 after getting it over the weekend. I had a great ride. Overall, on my normal weekend route in Maine, it was much improved. I agree with everyone else who said that turns were smoother. Highway ride was very nice, and on the old highway stack there were two exits that my vehicle would act CRAZY on - swerving in and out of the ramp then always finally rerouting to a different exit because the road is paved a different color. With 11, this went perfectly. There are a few complex turns that it did very well on that I always get nervous about because we lose our paint lines in the winter here with all the salt.

My only issues are:
If someone turns ahead of you, the car comes to a compete stop (I'm pretty sure) just to piss off the drivers behind you - even if I could have stayed the exact same speed and not even remotely be close to the car in front.

I hate the percentage speed offset. It makes me go too slow in the cities, and much too fast on the highways. My speed range on my Saturday and Sunday drives are between 25-70.

Speed slowdown is a little too extreme now. Almost got rear ended going from a 55 to a 35 due to how quickly it slowed.

Other than those two complaints, this new version is by far my favorite!

The problem is this will take years to collate these, and there will be no end of edge cases. It shows we're nowhere near self driving the way this forum envisions it.
Which forum are you referring to? At least in this thread I haven't seen a single post that expects robotaxi capability in the next couple of years.