Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
The V11.3.x rollout is curious. Gotta wonder if this is the new rollout strategy. Take time before pumping out an initial major release but then keep introducing small fast tweak improvements (bug fixes, data training set changes) for the fleet to see which has the least major complaints and/or near misses.

Otherwise why not keep the pump primed on daily fleet downloads? After a 2 day ramp up, v11.3.4 downloads are already fading. It's as if the Breaking Bad cooks don't know if they are coming or going.

View attachment 924504
Because FSDb can't seem to handle the job! 🤣

Reactions: sunfarm and Ramphex
So I had two events on my drive yesterday. One was entering a rotary with a car on my left. It didn't give way to a car already in the rotary, it was just aggressive, generally I felt like it was pretty conservative and gave way to others really well.

The second one, little hard to describe, just basically it was a merge that was forced my some jersey barriers. It moved over nicely but as we got closer it pulled me hard right at the jersey barriers. That was the only actual intervention on my part.

Other than that it was really solid. Since my ride has completed, it there any opportunity for me to describe at least the event where I intervened?
Yep, still broken: No right on red, no recognition of school zones, no slowing for RR crossings, crazy city lane changes, no slowing for speed bumps, phantom slowdowns on tight curves, random crosswalk hesitations and the continuing disaster that is roundabouts. Highway driving is smoother but not so significant as to be an impressive step.

11.3.x is notable to me only for merging stacks, which is IMO a big accomplishment. Now back to the regularly scheduled programming of fixing all the long term flaws in city driving. At least there's light ahead in the boring tunnel.

Yep, still broken: No right on red, no recognition of school zones, no slowing for RR crossings, crazy city lane changes, no slowing for speed bumps, phantom slowdowns on tight curves, random crosswalk hesitations and the continuing disaster that is roundabouts. Highway driving is smoother but not so significant as to be an impressive step.

11.3.x is notable to me only for merging stacks, which is IMO a big accomplishment. Now back to the regularly scheduled programming of fixing all the long term flaws in city driving. At least there's light ahead in the boring tunnel.
Accurate/Truth

Reactions: Ramphex
T intersection, road continues straight however I want to turn right which is on my side. No stop signs for anyone at the intersection. Car came to a complete stop with flasher on and then continued just as if there was a stop sign.

This is the road I take to work every day so will see what happens tomorrow and report back. Will pay more attention as it should indicate why it is stopping.
Worked as it should this morning, no stopping. Not sure what happened the other day.

But here, and in the other thread, it seems like you really are (defending poor/unsafe FSDb behaviors)... Why, is the question.
You're laboring under the false impression that I'm defending poor/unsafe behavior. I'm coming at the issue with a diagnostic viewpoint. I'm shedding light on why the system may be making the choice that it does, or trying to understand the telemetry and predict the outcome.

You'll notice that I typically approach problems logically and not emotionally. Even when I have a poor experience with FSD Beta, I have a rational discussion about it, observing the behavior and trying to understand the decision making that happened in the neural nets.

It's the nature of the Internet and the times we live in that such rational discussions are hard to come by. Highly emotional attacks are common, and people are less tolerant of others who do not wholly agree with their viewpoint. I try not to take it personally, and don't hold any grudge against you, as I can understand your viewpoint.

Living a Tesla NIGHTMARE. No 11.3.x update this morning so on the way to gym decided to do a MCU reset. Of course not much chance of that working but what the hell do you have to lose? In a word: EVERYTHING. First the AC starting blowing full blast and came on as Low setting. Then I got what at first glance seemed like an improbable optimistic screen (keep in mind I'm driving). Saying Software Version V11.

What HELL happened? As best I can tell it appears I have experiences a full Factory Rest and lost EVERYTHING. I have no idea what to do. I did scedual a Service Appointment hoping that can get back. But I deafly afraid everything is gone for good.

Here is my Service Request:
While driving I did a MCU (2 button) reset. When screen came back on EVERYTHING was missing and AC was on LO/full blast. It was like it did a Factory Reset. I have NOTHING. Don’t have Acceleration Boost, Premium Connective, Profiles, Navigation, Favorites, Car Name, Trips, etc. How do I restore it or can you do it remotely?

Anyone have any idea on what can be done?

View attachment 924500
Aren't profiles saved now?

• Informative
Reactions: Ramphex
Yep, still broken: No right on red, no recognition of school zones, no slowing for RR crossings, crazy city lane changes, no slowing for speed bumps, phantom slowdowns on tight curves, random crosswalk hesitations and the continuing disaster that is roundabouts.
Accurate/Truth
I think anyone who thinks all remaining issues will get fixed when every new major release comes out are bound to be disappointed. If everything were to be fixed, 11.x would already be at L4/L5 !

The question, as always, is what the changes from last release are.

Last edited:
You're laboring under the false impression that I'm defending poor/unsafe behavior. I'm coming at the issue with a diagnostic viewpoint. I'm shedding light on why the system may be making the choice that it does, or trying to understand the telemetry and predict the outcome.

You'll notice that I typically approach problems logically and not emotionally. Even when I have a poor experience with FSD Beta, I have a rational discussion about it, observing the behavior and trying to understand the decision making that happened in the neural nets.

It's the nature of the Internet and the times we live in that such rational discussions are hard to come by. Highly emotional attacks are common, and people are less tolerant of others who do not wholly agree with their viewpoint. I try not to take it personally, and don't hold any grudge against you, as I can understand your viewpoint.
Agreed. There are the illogical emotional types on one side, Shills and "Telsa/Elon can do no wrong:" on the other side, and a lot of others just trying to get objective information/sharing in the middle. Some of those (in the middle) can also get emotional when interacting with folks on either extreme of this internet continuum.

Aren't profiles saved now?
There is a cloud sync option for profiles, which is typically used for those with multiple Teslas on their account. There have been many who've reported issues with recent updates where that cloud profile is reset and it wipes the settings from the car. In those cases, they just reset the settings to their liking and resync to the cloud. It sounds like Julien may have experienced something more, like a complete reset.

A factory reset, re-installation of the firmware, and set up of the settings, may solve it, if it was a corrupt software installation. If it's a hardware issue, such as a bad MCU, then service will need to replace the computer.

Ok but even if the car is supposed to use the entire length of the merge lane, the car should still merge at the end, it does not.

I think the primary issue is that FSDb doesn't appear to be using turn signals. Even if it's taking the merge lane to the end, it should signal to the left once that lane ends.

This issue has been happening to me for awhile: the car will just continue to drive until the end of the on-ramp and never merge. It looks like V11 has still not fixed this issue.

This issue has been happening to me for six+ months now, trying to get onto 280 from Sand Hill Rd… the car will not accelerate to highway speed and will often as is in the video above essentially run out of runway (onramp space) and rumble over often when a car is in that lane.

More driving on 11.3.4 today, including interstate for the first time on this version. I have to say I'm personally extremely happy with this version overall, especially the interstate portion.

I use FSDb every day, and have been stuck on 10.69 for a long time. I found that version to have some goodness, and also plenty of things I couldn't use. V11.3.4 to me is much smoother, more polished, and it just feels more human-like.

I don't disagree with any of the complaints I'm seeing on this forum regarding specific problem spots w/V11.3.x, but I am looking at all the things it does right mostly, not all the things it isn't perfect on (yet).

My glass is half full at this point...

I'm looking forward to future refinements, but for now, and very happy to use V11.3.4 every day on every drive (with disengagements for the rough spots I know are still there).

Re: zipper merging

Debated upthread.

Some state DOTs, prefer you use the entire length of the merge lane ...

Ok but even if the car is supposed to use the entire length of the merge lane, the car should still merge at the end, it does not.

Zipper merging is not recommended at highway speeds. It's very dangerous to do that, it leaves no margin for error. It's only for congested traffic. And at the very least do not zipper merge at the very last possible inch of roadway.

Personally I am not sure that it's even doing a zipper merge, it looks to me like it's simply failing to merge.

This issue has been happening to me for awhile: the car will just continue to drive until the end of the on-ramp and never merge. It looks like V11 has still not fixed this issue.

Two possibilities. One, the car doesn't know the lane is ending. The map data may not have the lane merge metadata. The road does not have painted arrows indicating the lane needs to merge left. Two, the map data does indicate the lane is ending, but Beta is ignoring the map data for visual only cues.

Where I am in SoCal, merge lanes usually have arrows painted on the ground to indicate the lane is merging. There are also signs saying "Lane ends in xxx feet" or something similar. If I was driving that car as a visitor to the area, I could see myself being caught off-guard when the lane ends.

even if the car is supposed to use the entire length of the merge lane, the car should still merge at the end, it does not
What happens at the end of the merge lane for you? It continues into the shoulder?

At least for a plain highway onramp merge today, FSD Beta 11.3.4 slowed down for a vehicle already on the highway, but that vehicle last second switched out of the right-most lane maybe because they thought I wouldn't slow down enough. Even for plain lane changes, FSD Beta seems quite happy to squeeze behind the new lead vehicle with very little gap such as less than 0.5 second follow distance. Personally that feels too close, but sometimes that's necessary, and FSD Beta might be doing that for all merges causing people to feel like it's not actually merging.

It doesn't help that FSD Beta doesn't use the turn signal to indicate (for the driver and for others) it's going to actually merge.

What happens at the end of the merge lane? It continues into the shoulder?

In my cases, I think a couple times it would continue into the shoulder. Most often, it would "merge" at the very last second but only because the right lane line forces the car to the left. I would usually disengage since it looked like the car was not merging in time. For me that is a fail. Merging is not waiting until you are literally a few feet from the end of the merge lane and then jerking the car to the left.