Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Two more good drives around Dallas today, mostly on Bush Turnpike. About 20 miles each way. The route out had zero interventions and drove pretty well. I had one minor intervention on the way back where FSDb slowed down on the turnpike due to misapplying traffic lights that are for an intersection on the frontage road that is above the grade of the turnpike. The turnpike curves such that the traffic lights are seen directly above the road briefly. FSDb has been slowing for these lights for months, especially at night when they are more visible. Sadly, V11 has the same behavior, though a brief application of accelerator solves the problem.

Other than that issue, I continue to be impressed by how well V11 drives on limited access roads in my area. City streets still needs more polish to smooth out performance at uncontrolled intersections. I think the car is now stopping too long at stop signs, causing other drivers to become confused and proceeding out of turn. It's a fine line between too little and too long of a stop.

You stopped in the middle of the road, not FSD Beta! It just chose to make the stop and applied to brakes to perform the stop. But it has no control of the situation.
Oh my bad, I turned on Ramphex Beta for that drive to drive the car, not the FSD beta. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Two more good drives around Dallas today, mostly on Bush Turnpike. About 20 miles each way. The route out had zero interventions and drove pretty well. I had one minor intervention on the way back where FSDb slowed down on the turnpike due to misapplying traffic lights that are for an intersection on the frontage road that is above the grade of the turnpike. The turnpike curves such that the traffic lights are seen directly above the road briefly. FSDb has been slowing for these lights for months, especially at night when they are more visible. Sadly, V11 has the same behavior, though a brief application of accelerator solves the problem.

Other than that issue, I continue to be impressed by how well V11 drives on limited access roads in my area. City streets still needs more polish to smooth out performance at uncontrolled intersections. I think the car is now stopping too long at stop signs, causing other drivers to become confused and proceeding out of turn. It's a fine line between too little and too long of a stop.
I have no idea who decided the programming of the stop sign delays was a good idea. It’s just enough of a delay after the complete stop that it causes more indecision on the part of those at the other stop signs waiting on you. Just… ugh.

I have no idea who decided the programming of the stop sign delays was a good idea. It’s just enough of a delay after the complete stop that it causes more indecision on the part of those at the other stop signs waiting on you. Just… ugh.
FSD used to perform a California Stop at clear intersections. NHTSA shut that down. Then FSD did a 1 mph pause. NHTSA again said no (this latest recall). So now the vehicle comes to a full stop and waits even at clear intersections.

FSD used to perform a California Stop at clear intersections. NHTSA shut that down. Then FSD did a 1 mph pause. NHTSA again said no (this latest recall). So now the vehicle comes to a full stop and waits even at clear intersections.

You see a few critics online crying foul of Tesla testing unproven Beta code on public streets. I haven't yet heard any outcries against NHTSA testing unproven policies.

NHTSA has a theory and some relatively scant data to show that fully stopping at stop signs lowers the risk of collisions. But until now, when they can mandate FSD Beta behave a certain way, they've never actually tested it on this large of a scale, and with "drivers" that will follow the instructions to the letter.

I wouldn't be surprised if, in a few months time, Tesla comes back to NHTSA with clear data showing that fully stopping reduces some types of collisions, but increases the likelihood of other types (rear endings, road rage, etc.). It's anyone's guess at this point whether this policy will actually decrease or increase the total rate of incidents.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
11.3.5 The driver monitoring and hands requirements are very stringent. I had a passenger waving their phone around trying to take a picture of the moon and autopilot got pissed off so I look down to see what it’s upset about and it gave me a insta strike even though my hand was on the wheel and I was looking at the road.

Though, I hear it resets after two weeks if it strikes out but I hope the full reset isn’t actually logged against you in the future. With how sensitive it is there is no doubt in my mind that I'm going to eventually strike out.

Keep in mind I’m a commercial pilot and have experience with automation management daily but they’re going a bit overkill. I can be manually driving and change the song I’m listening to no issue but in FSDb it starts to get upset.

Has anyone here heard an update on the supposed 10k miles restriction? Elon tweeted that those with 10k autopilot miles can get the DM/hand req. removed but I can’t find anything recent on it.

11.3.5 The driver monitoring and hands requirements are very stringent. I had a passenger waving their phone around trying to take a picture of the moon and autopilot got pissed off so I look down to see what it’s upset about and it gave me a insta strike even though my hand was on the wheel and I was looking at the road.

Though, I hear it resets after two weeks if it strikes out but I hope the full reset isn’t actually logged against you in the future. With how sensitive it is there is no doubt in my mind that I'm going to eventually strike out.

Keep in mind I’m a commercial pilot and have experience with automation management daily but they’re going a bit overkill. I can be manually driving and change the song I’m listening to no issue but in FSDb it starts to get upset.

Has anyone here heard an update on the supposed 10k miles restriction? Elon tweeted that those with 10k autopilot miles can get the DM/hand req. removed but I can’t find anything recent on it.
I had both hands on the wheel all the time but I still got a strike because my passenger on the right seat used the touchscreen to select music and used FB on the phone (the phone was bright and right in front of the cabin camera).

I cant help but notice that beta testing this software is sort of like accumulating flight hours. I am sure you see a lot of parallels lately with this sort of thing.

Non-USS Park Assist update: I found that the car can detect accurately the painted line at the end of the parking stall that does not have a park block. For sure USS cars cannot do this. It cannot detect the line of a slanted parking stall. I hope NN will be trained to detect my garage wall soon. Probably NN can be trained to detect whether the car is past the opened garage door too.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: kabin
NHTSA has a theory and some relatively scant data to show that fully stopping at stop signs lowers the risk of collisions. But until now, when they can mandate FSD Beta behave a certain way, they've never actually tested it on this large of a scale, and with "drivers" that will follow the instructions to the letter.
Oh, I'm sure that NHTSA's data is correct about rolling stops causing accidents. The twist here is that if anyone should be rolling stop signs, it's an autonomous car. They're always paying attention.

Consider what roads will be like once we have all autonomous cars. No traffic signs, no traffic lights, no lane markers, nothing. The software will work it all out based on what it sees. Hopefully with the addition of vehicle-to-vehicle communications. Imagine one vast camera/sensor network determining which car does what. We might even be safer around other cars than we would be on some country road by ourselves.