Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
It's not just you. Others have posted about it in this thread. If you look up one post, you'll see me describing my encounter with it. I hit it in 11.3.3 for a narrow two-lane road with perfect markings and road surface. The problem is still there in 11.3.6, and my testing says that I cannot engage due to road/lane width. Chuck Cook also hit it for unmarked roads when he moved too close to the shoulder.
Ok good, I skimmed back a little bit but missed the part in your post. It’s infuriating

Reactions: jebinc and JB47394
Our 2022 model Y got a notification for 2022.45.15/FSDb 11.3.6 last night. More to my surprise, when I happened to look at the app this afternoon our 2023 model 3 (USS-free) had downloaded it.

So probably the apparent separate branch that introduced vision parking assistance for USS-free cars with 2022.45.14/FSDb 11.3.5 is already merging back to a larger stream.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Took my first drive on V11.3.6 this morning. Previously had 11.3.4. No noticeable changes in the updated version. Still having problems where the car pulls into a turn-only lane instead of remaining in the right lane to continue forward. Fairly smooth acceleration and deceleration with these versions, though, much less "slamming on the brakes" than I had in 10.69.

I'm satisfied with the ongoing improvements, and understand I have to closely supervise my car instead of texting or reading a book while driving.

I did drive for several miles without actually touching the yoke, by remaining perfectly still with my eyes on the road ahead. I like that a lot!
It took me a few weeks but v11 is starting to grow on me. Since changing profile from assertive to average no running of red lights. Orange depending on who you ask…;)

Which profile are you set on? I also had some weird moving into turning lanes until I switched to average.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394

I watched this guy's videos 3 times. He did not have disengagements.
I took the same route to the airport last week. My car moved from the lane going to freeway 5 to the wider shoulder. Disengaged. Maybe his setting is different? Or camera?

My disengagement happened at the shoulder at 8:31 in that video.
He edited the video at the end where it was suddenly disengaged. I think all were surprised how well it performed.

Our 2022 model Y got a notification for 2022.45.15/FSDb 11.3.6 last night. More to my surprise, when I happened to look at the app this afternoon our 2023 model 3 (USS-free) had downloaded it.

So probably the apparent separate branch that introduced vision parking assistance for USS-free cars with 2022.45.14/FSDb 11.3.5 is already merging back to a larger stream.
But do you still have parking assist on the 3?

Junk 4.0, I do have about 25k miles of FSDb, so maybe they are giving me some leeway?

Yes, I use it 100% of the time for all my drives.

Only exception, when some Mustang, Demon, Porsche, Motorcycle, etc happen to be at the light with me and want to have a go. I guess they don't believe the videos on YouTube not to mess with us. They learn quickly...
I had a similar experience.
I was entering the highway entrance and it was a longer entrance lane and there were cars ahead of me and there was a BMW behind me very close. i entered the hwy and the BMW driver cut me and went to left lane. I disengaged put on Insane mode and left him and few other cars in the dust. They totally underestimated me :D
When in doubt I go insane!

But do you still have parking assist on the 3?
Yes. It is mentioned prominently on the release notes, and after you asked I got in the car in my garage and saw the multicolored serpentine outline around the car and a claimed distance in inches ahead (wheelbarrow) and behind (garage door). I did not check how accurate any of that was, but it is there.

I had a similar experience.
I was entering the highway entrance and it was a longer entrance lane and there were cars ahead of me and there was a BMW behind me very close. i entered the hwy and the BMW driver cut me and went to left lane. I disengaged put on Insane mode and left him and few other cars in the dust. They totally underestimated me :D
When in doubt I go insane!
I changed the name of Tesla cam to people who don't own or know anything about Tesla to "Gap Cam"... they say, "wow, Tesla puts cameras on their cars so you can record a race?"...
Yep is my answer 😆

Get the unrealistic experience of FSD’s better performance in California lol
Apparently you haven’t watched any of his videos clearly demonstrating repeated garbage performance in the simple low speed SF streets scenario.
I got to say I was impressed with the highway driving

Highway driving is genuinely pretty great with a couple glaring dealbreakers.

Biggest issue once on the freeway is the complete inability of the system to deal with cut-ins. It nearly invariably slams on the regen. It’s atrocious. Basically requires disengagement on every anticipated cut-in. It seems unable to predict when someone is going to change lanes. And it cannot even do it if they signal! There is zero response to a shift in positioning of other vehicles. Until they are in your lane, apparently.

And one time today at 70mph I had it veer inexplicably into an adjacent lane and tried to hit a pickup truck very roughly 100 feet ahead moving more slowly. Got some TeslaCam of that which I might look at at some point, very confused why I had to disengage and it caught me by surprise. I am not sure if it signaled and probably won’t ever know (it wasn’t dark) since I was not recording with the GoPro.

But anyway highway is pretty good, but just not bothering on surface streets with passengers since it is reliably embarrassing and awful. It’s fine to experiment with it when by myself; I don’t mind being slammed around since I am in control.

I think FSD will make me have to change brake pads on my car where if I drove myself 100% of the time I would basically never have to do that. Way to much caution and friction brake usage when using FSD in my opinion. But this is gradually improving with each major FSD update.
Heavy friction brake usage. I posted my FSD drive "efficiency" numbers reported on my self-hosted TelsaMate instance a few days ago. In short, never better than 70% efficiency. .

So I had some difficulty yesterday on a trip running 11.3.4. The problem was that it was actually pretty difficult to engage FSDb. Basically the little icon saying it was available kept flashing, only on for maybe a second or two at a time, then going off for a few. So I kind of had to time it (which took several tries).

FWIW - I did recently wash the car...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramphex
So I had some difficulty yesterday on a trip running 11.3.4. The problem was that it was actually pretty difficult to engage FSDb. Basically the little icon saying it was available kept flashing, only on for maybe a second or two at a time, then going off for a few. So I kind of had to time it (which took several tries).

Ideas?
I had similar problems, before I shut off FSD in the UI. It was particular bad if the wipers were in use for any reason. Junk.

Reactions: Ramphex