Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Yeah exactly. Just saying, I bet Alan Subie is a pro race car driver or something and if FSD doesn't drive like a pro, it's clearly garbage
I mean humans are so trash at driving, just look at literally all of the above videos to see how bad we are at driving. And yet if FSDb isn't buttery smooth pro-level, it's useless.

Human drivers are mostly crap esp here in SoCal...it used to be so civil, drivers would kindly let you in on a merge or other move, but now 40 years later it's a free-for-all. Follow distances are one car length at 75mph...and 50mph in a 35 zone on city streets.
Humans can’t be banned from driving soon enough . We just blow at it.

I think there is a special version of the software that allows hands-off...a few employees and influencers have this, and my guess is a few other tweaks.
Once again, trickery marketing because what he is doing is NOT what’s available to general public who enrolls into FSD. Whether it’s him tricking or Tesla providing him with some privileges to continue shilling. A lie is a lie.

Looks like another big batch had been pushed. I'm on it. 😁
Right! On TeslaFi another ~1,000 added to pending, brining the total for 11.3.6 to nearly 2,000, or 35% of the roughly 5,500 cars with FSD installed. It appears to include cars from 11.x and 10.x prior versions. So I'm guessing this will be rolled out to the whole FSD fleet, hopefully including the 1,000 or so 10.69ers who have been left out of V11 so far, and have had no updates since last year.

Why didn’t it anticipate and slow down earlier
Because the software is brain dead right now. It's stock logic, so it doesn't anticipate much of anything. They're only just "starting to make use of neural nets for vehicle navigation & control, not just vision". I have no idea what that translates to in terms of functionality, however. Is this "start" some absolutely simplistic treatment such as controlling turn signals? Or is it being used more broadly and aggressively? Regardless, neural networks are the silver bullet for FSDb; they're going to tackle all the judgement calls that the car can't currently make. I just hope Tesla tests the crap out of the stuff to make sure that when the car sees a license plate that reads CONNOR, it doesn't decide to enter Terminator mode.

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Because the software is brain dead right now. It's stock logic, so it doesn't anticipate much of anything. They're only just "starting to make use of neural nets for vehicle navigation & control, not just vision". [snip] Regardless, neural networks are the silver bullet for FSDb; .
They were allegedly using NNs to identify cut-in scenarios a couple years ago.

It is unclear how it all ties together but at some level there are NNs used for predictions. Anyway it isn’t working (as I said even very predictable slow and simple scenarios are not accounted for properly). Instead it is just “jam on the regen” when the vehicle is detected in the lane.

The fact that they aren’t using NNs for the planner and are sticking to the MCTS right now is telling though. Wouldn’t expect that for a year or so. It’s probably going to be the next big hype that disappoints.

Last edited:
Maybe your brain is more sensitive to jerk than mine… I do love roller coasters!
As I have said, I don’t really care, except for the brake use. It also means I can’t have passengers in the car and even when using it on the freeway I have to be super vigilant to pre-emptively disengage, when I have passengers, and there is any deviation from optimal behavior. (Otherwise I can just briefly let it misbehave then disengage.)

If I weren’t running the camera I never would have let the car brake in this scenario (since there was so much time). I just wanted to see it fail so I could file a report (though sometimes I file reports when no misbehavior has occurred - just when it was going to occur).

Reactions: FSDtester#1
As I have said, I don’t really care, except for the brake use. It also means I can’t have passengers in the car and even when using it on the freeway I have to be super vigilant to pre-emptively disengage, when I have passengers, and there is any deviation from optimal behavior. (Otherwise I can just briefly let it misbehave then disengage.)

If I weren’t running the camera I never would have let the car brake in this scenario (since there was so much time). I just wanted to see it fail so I could file a report (though sometimes I file reports when no misbehavior has occurred - just when it was going to occur).
I’m glad you’re training the car to be pro-level driver! Exciting to think about how we’ll get there one day.

Once again, trickery marketing because what he is doing is NOT what’s available to general public who enrolls into FSD. Whether it’s him tricking or Tesla providing him with some privileges to continue shilling. A lie is a lie.
For the 50th time... he wears black pants against a black interior... he lifts his left leg very subtly from time to time and lets the wheel drag against his leg.It takes a superhuman ability to detect stuff like this.
Which I have !!!
As Alan has already pointed out 50 times also, why try and deceive, hand on wheel is easier and safer.

Right! On TeslaFi another ~1,000 added to pending, brining the total for 11.3.6 to nearly 2,000, or 35% of the roughly 5,500 cars with FSD installed. It appears to include cars from 11.x and 10.x prior versions. So I'm guessing this will be rolled out to the whole FSD fleet, hopefully including the 1,000 or so 10.69ers who have been left out of V11 so far, and have had no updates since last year.
I have one to Burn 🔥... should I????

Edit: Didn't have to, opened app and it's downloading now...Quick download.. about 20 minutes for install

Gone a week now without burning one, too short to tell peeps I kicked the habit?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramphex and swedge