Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
As I have said, I don’t really care, except for the brake use. It also means I can’t have passengers in the car and even when using it on the freeway I have to be super vigilant to pre-emptively disengage, when I have passengers, and there is any deviation from optimal behavior. (Otherwise I can just briefly let it misbehave then disengage.)

If I weren’t running the camera I never would have let the car brake in this scenario (since there was so much time). I just wanted to see it fail so I could file a report (though sometimes I file reports when no misbehavior has occurred - just when it was going to occur).
this is the problem I have.
The best compliment SWMBO gave for 11.3.3 was that it sometimes felt like a human driving.
Then almost immediately she asked me why it kept regressing to being a learner driver again because it brakes like its been surprised by the stop sign.
I'll take the improvements but can't see the point if it feels like a drunk taxi driver.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I’m with @AlanSubie4Life on this one. The stabbing at the brakes does not inspire confidence and all of us would have the Uber driver pull over if he was driving like that. No one is teaching their teenage drivers to stop like that.

Programming the car to brake to use max regen and gently apply the brakes should be easy for a computer, and it really detracts from the experience today.

and there is no question to me it is continuing to improve
I’ve mentioned this continuous improvement several times..
Life is too short to spend it complaining.

Just pointing out situations where users will notice deficiencies. I think anyone using this software will know already that it cannot handle non-optional merges (it is ok on many optional merges, definition of optional being a lane where you can continue and go somewhere else), or fairly close cut-ins easily handled by a human. But there are those that don’t have it yet, and that info is useful.

Damn give this guy a finger and he wants to take the arm 😅😅 no update here
I lived, smooth as silk drive today. .
Ok, seriously, I noticed some small changes, but I already liked V11 better than 10.69. 1st, for me, Nags are back, about 1 per every minute. Highway is excellent, ego loves to stay in passing lane and did pass a slow driver switching from left lane to right to pass. If it doesn't detect anyone in left lane, it just stays there. City, main complaint is same with everyone else. Need more regen braking. It appears that if nobody is at a upcoming stoplight it slows almost perfectly. However if there are 2 or more cars at a light it waits too long to slow down and applies friction brakes too late, and hard, then releases and finishes with regen. This doesn't make any sense why it isn't fixed. If some jerk cuts you off and it needs to apply the friction brakes, I get it. However why is it smooth when you are coming to a red with no cars, or a stop sign it sees way in advance. It sees the cars at the light, and displays them along with the red light. I am going to start disengaging just to record voice notes for what I just explained. On a plus, on a 60 mile round trip, I had no disengagements, and 1 intervention. 50% city and Highway with medium traffic. The intervention is exactly the same as @Ramphex . There is 1 spot I found that is slows from 55 to 30 for no reason. No cars, shadows, nothing to explain it. I have let it do it's thing in the same place when there aren't any cars behind me multiple times. Same result since about 6 months ago. Fix that map data and friction braking and I will be a happy camper. Otherwise, ULT and URT's are pretty good.

First drive on 11.3.6, the car blatantly attempted to run a neighborhood stop sign. Never even slowed despite other cars at the intersection. Take that, NHTSA!
Same here, attempted to run one stop sign and one deep red light, both after just turning onto that road. But oddly enough, this is the first version I can use every day (but I've only tested 10.69 and 11.3.4) with some occasional help on the juice pedal to encourage it.

However why is it smooth when you are coming to a red with no cars, or a stop sign it sees way in advance.
Likely it's because map data tells ego where the intersection is, but it must detect and locate the other cars waiting at the light using vision. If the car is moving fast enough, then it doesn't see those cars until after the normal deceleration profile start point.

Likely it's because map data tells ego where the intersection is, but it must detect and locate the other cars waiting at the light using vision. If the car is moving fast enough, then it doesn't see those cars until after the normal deceleration profile start point.
Bingo... I think we have a winner 🏆... that has to be it. What is confusing is that it displays the waiting cars around the same time as the light. Regen damn it!

Reactions: SSDTester#1
car finally has an update. I'll just leave it queued for a few days just to annoy the install watchers. anyone have a link to the non fsd updates this may have?
Funny 😁!

Edit: that doesn't show the non fsd updates.
From memory, you get Mahjong!

That's what you want I think 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: NathanielHrnblwr
I’m with @AlanSubie4Life on this one. The stabbing at the brakes does not inspire confidence and all of us would have the Uber driver pull over if he was driving like that.
Clearly you are exaggerating. This guy has been driving using FSD on Uber for a year and nobody pulled him over - infact many don’t even realize FSD is driving.

I’m with @AlanSubie4Life on this one. The stabbing at the brakes does not inspire confidence and all of us would have the Uber driver pull over if he was driving like that. No one is teaching their teenage drivers to stop like that.

Programming the car to brake to use max regen and gently apply the brakes should be easy for a computer, and it really detracts from the experience today.
Yeah this is the one feature I don’t understand why they haven’t done it. The car generally knows from map data or even vision “hey there is a stop sign X hundred feet away”. With some basic math they should be able to calculate a smooth deceleration curve that uses full regen braking to stop precisely at the stop sign.

Instead, even in 11.3.6 it slams on the brakes 300 feet away and then creeps at 20 mph to be closer before slowing down. It’s the number one behavior that pisses people off behind me and is likely to cause a rear end crash because it’s not the way normal people drive at all.

I play a game when I’m driving to try to time release of the accelerator to perfectly regen brake a stop light or stop sign, just want the car to start playing the same game!

Clearly you are exaggerating. This guy has been driving using FSD on Uber for a year and nobody pulled him over - infact many don’t even realize FSD is driving.

I would NEVER attempt that. My mother and my significant other hate FSD and always ask me to turn it off because of how jerky and sloppy it is. I only beta test when I’m alone and in the mood to punish myself a little bit.