Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
That's great. Just approach it very cautiously at first. Many of the people getting it now are newer owners who haven't been following the months and years of reports about successes versus problems. There are already posts here from people who threw it right into rush hour traffic, residential speed bumps and so on and had bad first-day experiences. Start cautious and you will be rewarded with what it can actually do.
It took me over a week to trust autopilot, so I will be overly cautious with this. :) I have a security gate and speed bumps in my gated community, so that won't be used there for now.

It took me over a week to trust autopilot, so I will be overly cautious with this. :) I have a security gate and speed bumps in my gated community, so that won't be used there for now.
Ahh yea, forgot the junk has a half-retarded brother. I'm still trying to figure out what my woman hates more, the AP in her car or FSDj in my car.

After a certain point, I'd say more conservatism becomes more dangerous if there are other drivers involved as they get frustrated and start making maneuvers that put everyone in danger.
Possible.
From “road rage,” if nothing else….
I guess they don't care about that (see all the Cruise AVs blocking traffic).

The bottomline is safety is affected by how aggressive or timid the car is. So, if one is the "timidness" is changed, safety changes too. If safety changes for the worse by too much, they can't ship.

BTW, it is possible FSD is timid because in this case they found the chance of collision increased otherwise.

Anybody else gotten the park assist STOP high pitched whine at highway speeds with FSD Beta? 😰 Pretty sure I heard the alert that normally sounds when parking within 12 inches:

11.3.6 late change into merge.jpg

FSD Beta 11.3.6 was doing its usual zipper merge behavior when this other vehicle suddenly switched into the merging lanes to make their exit. Also, some reason Autosteer / FSD Beta was unavailable to reactivate afterwards but TACC was fine.

Anybody else gotten the park assist STOP high pitched whine at highway speeds with FSD Beta? 😰 Pretty sure I heard the alert that normally sounds when parking within 12 inches:

View attachment 940806

FSD Beta 11.3.6 was doing its usual zipper merge behavior when this other vehicle suddenly switched into the merging lanes to make their exit.
Yep, at least once I can recall.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Every now and then you have to polish the turd.

11.4 was so 🔥 🔥 that Elon figured the general public cannot handle it and should remain on 11.3 for just two more weeks.

EDIT: Even more ironic that they did not slide all of the current 11.3.6 people onto the new 11.3.6, but are instead pushing it out to vehicles that haven't had beta. So the newcomers get the beta and new regular branch features. Ahhhhh, good ol Tesla ways.
“Spit shine” polish? 🤣

It's all good, I was promised a "one month" delivery for my Plaid order and it didn't show up until after my MSLR order that was 6 months late. Ended up declining it. I also didn't get a fully functional computer on the flagship refresh so I'll never be able to play the promised "console quality games" as Steam cannot run on the current computer that's in it. Those are just couple FSDj unrelated fun facts about my experience with Tesla.
I have the same memory castrated computer in mine, plus no tilting screen. I did get the vibration package for free, however.

…on that note I drove home in rush hour traffic today. 30 min, 13 miles.
It will always be beta, for years/decades - like many of the other features a decade old and still tagged “beta” in the UI. Tesla is abusing the term, “beta,” so normal “beta” rules do not apply. Perpetually “beta”…. Now “that” is getting old!
I agree that Tesla has abused the term ‘beta’ (e.g. TACC Is ’beta’ despite the fact that adaptive cruise has been available for over a decade.) That abuse doesn’t apply to FSD, though. FSD is a true beta feature, something that has not been done before and the equivalent of which is not available from any other manufacturer. FSD is clearly under active development with regular updates and improvements. That’s what beta software is. Like I said, if you can’t handle it then you’re better of opting out.

…on that note I drove home in rush hour traffic today. 30 min, 13 miles.

I agree that Tesla has abused the term ‘beta’ (e.g. TACC Is ’beta’ despite the fact that adaptive cruise has been available for over a decade.) That abuse doesn’t apply to FSD, though. FSD is a true beta feature, something that has not been done before and the equivalent of which is not available from any other manufacturer. FSD is clearly under active development with regular updates and improvements. That’s what beta software is. Like I said, if you can’t handle it then you’re better of opting out.
Looks like people call it too bad to be beta, so alpha and for far too long called beta, so should be production!

Had a drive in a narrow, winding road today. No issues … no slow downs or stops for oncoming vehicles, either.

You'll certainly hear more from others...but...it's FSD (junk). You may also see FSDp which is FSD (perfect).
Members here are often in one camp or the other. I'm of the opinion that it's a mix and briefly used this avatar to represent that.View attachment 940741
Thank you for the clarification, I thought fsd(j) meant all these beta users were getting stoned before attempting to use it.

Yea, also if you have a cabin camera - forget about looking at your watch, or your phone, or the center screen for too long. It'll strike you like a drunk, angry, abusive dad would.
I took one of my business cards and propped it up in front of the camera once and got no gigs. Freed my lady up to do whatever. Worked good for getting a last minute order in too. Haven’t tried that in a bit, but I will this morning and report back. 😀