Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
First 11.4.2 drive; no highway driving

Conditions:
No roundabouts, but prior problematic intersections
10 miles, round trip
Overcast
2021 MS Plaid

Summary: Overall Improvement from 11.3.6; more random blinkers, still ignores speed bumps/pot holes, a bit smoother and a bit more aggressive. More testing needed, prior to calling that “1-800” number… 😝

The points raised are good -- so are there FSDb demo videos showing that this is what happens?

In cities there are plenty of situations where parked cars obscure things, as well as the bushes
mentioned. And, if this is a known design flaw, why haven't camera positions changed and/or
added with the HW4 refresh, good for millions of cars going forward? I'd think that we would
hear from some disgruntled ex-Tesla engineer that it is an oversight, er, "undersight" in this case.
At least it's covered in the FSDb notes up front, i.e. "be prepared to act immediately, especially
around blind corners".

I imagine that there is another, freaky way of ameliorating this as I have done a few times in
life -- high-speed reverse to undo overcreep into cross-traffic.
Like other people, I have thought that the car needs to have radars on the left and right side of the frunk. But then, are radars not blocked like cameras?
My crazy idea is to have retractable telescopic cameras on the car. The cameras can be raised higher and farther than other blocking objects. No need to creep.

Last edited:
Like other people, I have thought that the car needs to have radars on the left and right side of the frunk. But then, are radars not blocked like cameras?
My crazy idea is to have retractable telescopic cameras on the car. The cameras can be raised higher and farther than other blocking objects. No need to creep.
Yeah, a big submarine telescope. That would solve everything.

Just finished recording my route on HW4 with 11.4.2. It seems to perform about the same as 11.4.1. I had issues and disengagements in all of the same places that I had them before. The only difference that I noticed is that on unmarked roads it tends to hug the right side instead of the center and stopping for stop signs is significantly more abrupt.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I had this idea of a ball shaped camera on the end of a tether. The car could basically toss it around where ever it needed to be able to see, and reel it back in when it was ready to go.

Or maybe a yoyo-cam.

Hmmm... Anyone here a patent lawyer?

I had this idea of a ball shaped camera on the end of a tether. The car could basically toss it around where ever it needed to be able to see, and reel it back in when it was ready to go.

Or maybe a yoyo-cam.

The camera attachment that AI driver uses gives an amazing view of the car plus the surroundings. Not sure that it is practical, but wow the visibility is dramatic.

Or maybe a yoyo-cam.

Nah, a hatch mounted drone that would fly around to scout out the area just in front of the planned route! 😂

Went to turn on the HVAC before a last second drive to Best Buy, realized the car was downloading the latest junk without asking me. Tisk tisk, guess I’ll install while at Best Buy and test on the drive back.

So you can get it and then take up the next 100 pages complaining 🙄...
At least with this release you will get your AM radio you've been wanting
I got over that, remember, I got my record player in there now.

Went to turn on the HVAC before a last second drive to Best Buy, realized the car was downloading the latest junk without asking me. Tisk tisk, guess I’ll install while at Best Buy and test on the drive back.

Btw, he is not joking... @Ramphex actually has a record player he can put in his Tesla!

And my push just happened... and no I am not in the bathroom

Just finished recording my route on HW4 with 11.4.2. It seems to perform about the same as 11.4.1. I had issues and disengagements in all of the same places that I had them before. The only difference that I noticed is that on unmarked roads it tends to hug the right side instead of the center and stopping for stop signs is significantly more abrupt.
That’s weird. I’m so far having the exact opposite. Car is very centered in unmarked roads, whereas it used to hug the right side on 11.3.2~>11.3.6. Same here with screwups on my few short drives I did this morning (stopping mid turn making a right turn). Again, I’ll know better how this is in a week of 100-200mile drives per day for work. Next two days are boats, booze and bonfires.