Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Yup approximately a doubling of the rollout. Pretty quick expansion from initial 3% to 10% now 20% within 24 hours. All coming from previous FSD Beta 11.x although so far no confirmed installations of 11.4.2 on HW4?
I have a HW4 and just got it this morning. Making a comparison video on all my pain spots from 11.4.1 today.

???
There may be those folks, but I'm not one of them and that's not at all what I said.
Eight (simultaneous) cameras obviously have major potential advantages. Several, but not all, have been realized. But the fact remains that point-of-view selection matters. There are many common situations that would be much better served with better camera placement, it's a matter of geometry and obstructions , not of misplaced bias or fuzzy thinking.

Regarding creeping, I think that most rational users can easily see that it's being pushed too far for comfort, and still doesn't solve as many cases as would be possible with a different arrangement. Not hopeless but could be better.

If there were no issues with the legacy camera setup, Tesla would not be working on it at all.
The goal is the same (to safely drive the car) but a human is fundamentally different from a computer with cameras. Both have strengths and weaknesses.

Our roads and laws have evolved around human advantages and disadvantages and now we’re trying to make an electronic system to use them. Not surprisingly the shortcomings of the computer are quite obvious. Human nature is such that we tend to focus on these and miss what the computer does well. What the end product will be remains to be seen but saying ‘a human with 2 eyes can’t be as good as a computer with 8’ or ‘a computer with 8 eyes must be better than a human with only 2’ completely ignores major differences between the two.

Good news - I’ve gotten 3-4 unprovoked strikes so I’m getting close to a long term timeout.
One month or one week, it does not matter to me. I know how to avoid the strikes now. If you drive at night, buy a pair of eyeglasses. When I drive at night, my eyes don't open wide because of glares and the inside camera thinks I am sleeping. Also the low visibility inside the car at night makes the camera think wrong. I put my eyeglasses on and don't get nags.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Went for a few short drives this morning on 11.4.2. Very little traffic, but I wanted to see how it reacted on unmarked roads. Seems to stay very centered, then moves over for oncoming vehicles at a an appropriate time, not playing chicken with oncoming traffic like it has in the past.

I have one right turn onto a road near me where it stops mid turn for no reason, 11.4.2 still does this, and likely will in other areas I’ve had this issue, but I cannot confirm yet.

Turning from an unmarked road, it’s hogging the opposite lane. If I’m making a left turn, and someone is trying to make a right on the road I’m turning from, my car is blocking their path for the right they are making. Very disrespectful. Now, that being said, there was no other traffic to interact with, so who know what the outcome would be with traffic, my guess is a lot of middle fingers, head shaking and horn blowing, and WTF??? looks.

Just downloaded 11.4.2 and I agree it's better. Still not perfect. A bit slower to accelerate at a green light than before. Still stops at roundabouts. Still needed to tap the go pedal from time to time to avoid honks from behind.

But overall I'd say it's gone from a below average 15 year old with a learner's permit, to an average 15 year old with a learner's permit. Hey, that's progress.

Good news - I’ve gotten 3-4 unprovoked strikes so I’m getting close to a long term timeout.

I too am happy about the reduced suspension penalty for strikes - I have 2 out of 5 - but by my interpretation, even if I get 5, I'm only out of FSD for one week. That seems fair.

IMG_4945.jpeg

IMG_4944.jpeg

Went for a few short drives this morning on 11.4.2. Very little traffic, but I wanted to see how it reacted on unmarked roads. Seems to stay very centered, then moves over for oncoming vehicles at a an appropriate time, not playing chicken with oncoming traffic like it has in the past.

I have one right turn onto a road near me where it stops mid turn for no reason, 11.4.2 still does this, and likely will in other areas I’ve had this issue, but I cannot confirm yet.

Turning from an unmarked road, it’s hogging the opposite lane. If I’m making a left turn, and someone is trying to make a right on the road I’m turning from, my car is blocking their path for the right they are making. Very disrespectful. Now, that being said, there was no other traffic to interact with, so who know what the outcome would be with traffic, my guess is a lot of middle fingers, head shaking and horn blowing, and WTF??? looks.
What is your FSD setting? Chill, Assertive?

An important change in 11.4.2 (2023.7.10) is that the suspension is now reduced to one week. It will be interesting to see what yours is. Good luck, and please let us know.

View attachment 941524
That's good. I got three strikes for stupid (I'm sorry, I can't use my Nav while FSD engaged??? wtf) reasons within 21 days... now mind you in those 21 days I traveled over 4200 miles (really traveled over 4200 over 4 days, the 17 other days were spent in each location barely driving)

• Informative
While waiting to get my copy of 11.4.2, I wondered what we miss out on due to the older 2023.7 base code versus the 2023.12 base code in the recent release of 11.3.6 to new owners. So I skimmed through the release notes. Here are items in the USA version of 2023.12 which appear to be absent in 2023.7 This is from this page, where one can view the descriptions of the new features: FSD Beta 11.3.6 (2023.12.10) Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates

There are quite a few missing features, but none are worth forgoing 11.4.2 at this point. I do look forward to the ones I'm marked with an asterisk.

I expect this is not entirely accurate, but it looks like 2023.12 was a significant polishing of the basic user interface.

*Phone Call Controls
*Text Size
Scroll Wheel Customization
Controls Search
*Gear Chimes
Passenger Seat Controls
Points of Interest
Voice Recognition Languages
Get to Know Your Tesla
Rename Vehicle in App
Improvements to Automatic Emergency Braking
Parked Visualization
*Speedometer Font
*Nav Improvements
Favorite Songs
Adjust Wiper Speed
Tesla Theater Icons
App Drawer
New Labels
*Charging Screen
Data Sharing
Track Mode

Booooo

Agreed, and the only workaround seems for the car to angle itself more to get a better view from the B pillar while creeping
The points raised are good -- so are there FSDb demo videos showing that this is what happens?

In cities there are plenty of situations where parked cars obscure things, as well as the bushes
mentioned. And, if this is a known design flaw, why haven't camera positions changed and/or
added with the HW4 refresh, good for millions of cars going forward? I'd think that we would
hear from some disgruntled ex-Tesla engineer that it is an oversight, er, "undersight" in this case.
At least it's covered in the FSDb notes up front, i.e. "be prepared to act immediately, especially
around blind corners".

I imagine that there is another, freaky way of ameliorating this as I have done a few times in
life -- high-speed reverse to undo overcreep into cross-traffic.

Last edited: