Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
still hoping to get 11.4.5 or .6 before next weekend. Don't fancy driving around on a road trip on 11.4.4
The most dangerous thing with 11.4.4 is its indecisiveness in lane changing. It changes back to the old lane when it almost completes changing to the new lane.
It did that to me again this afternoon on the freeway during slow traffic.

Reactions: LowlyOilBurner
still hoping to get 11.4.5 or .6 before next weekend. Don't fancy driving around on a road trip on 11.4.4
It's been excellent on the highway for me! Signals, passes, and get's back to the right lane as soon as a faster car approaches - all very smooth and natural. No PB incidents, a big improvement for me. A road trip is where it shines IMO.

It's been excellent on the highway for me! Signals, passes, and get's back to the right lane as soon as a faster car approaches - all very smooth and natural. No PB incidents, a big improvement for me. A road trip is where it shines IMO.
Road trip for us tends to avoid freeways. Family prefers to enjoy the journey and experience the small town rather than ignore them. It may be slower but you see so much more. Out of town highways is where 11.4.4 is at its weakest and the stupid lane changes and ludicrous right lane exits are most prevalent.

I’m on a mission to find out how to leave the bleeding edge beta branches (such as this 11.4.x train) and get back to “public” releases, such as 2013.20.7 with a more stable FSD version (11.3.6).

So far, I’ve struck out emailing [email protected] (simply got an automated response) and scheduling a service appointment for a different hardware issue and also requesting this software shift.

The service advisor said the tech claimed it was impossible to leave the beta once we’ve been accepted (bunch of BS) and I could just turn off FSD from the Autopilot settings (duh).

Although a nice person, the service advisor was pretty useless. I asked her to escalate to her manager who has the ability to connect with engineers at Tesla HQ, so we’ll see what happens next.

Reactions: beachmiles
I’m on a mission to find out how to leave the bleeding edge beta branches (such as this 11.4.x train) and get back to “public” releases, such as 2013.20.7 with a more stable FSD version (11.3.6).
In theory, couldn't you opt out of FSDb (if you have a subscription) and then get the stable update from the main branch ahead of the 2023.7.x branch, then opt in again and get 11.3.6?

Reactions: GSP and zoomer0056
In theory, couldn't you opt out of FSDb (if you have a subscription) and then get the stable update from the main branch ahead of the 2023.7.x branch, then opt in again and get 11.3.6?
I could if I didn't buy FSD. But for $8,000 at the time when there was no EAP option (I ordered my Plaid in Sep 2020), it seems like a good idea to buy it instead of waiting for subscriptions to launch (which didn't happen until mid-2021). I would've bought EAP if it was available, but it wasn't. The basic AutoPilot that comes standard on all cars is annoying to me, as I would have to disengage every time I wanted to make a lane change.

Reactions: swedge
Are all of us on 11.4.4 original testers?
I think those of us who had FSD beta prior to 11.3.6 followed the path to 11.4.x, while those who were waiting for beta to catch up to their car software went directly to 23.12.10 and 11.3.6 and have been following that upgrade path. I don't think there's anything special about being on 11.4.4 versus other 11.4.x versions... most seem to have been upgraded to 11.4.4, but some haven't. I was briefly offered 11.4.4 but the download stopped midway and have afterwards remained on 11.4.2. My first version was one of the generally available 10.69 versions.

I think you have a nostalgic view of how great 11.3.6 was. If I am on a 2 lane road my car basically surrenders to any car coming in the opposite direction.

Reactions: jestrjk and GSP
.....but for all of us that bought and paid for the FSD Capability that is NOT an option.
I believe you can email tesla to request to be dropped from the FSDb test program. Once you are dropped, you will go back to the production branch, where you cold request access again and be (currently) on 11.3.6.

Of course, it's possible that Tesla will bake 11.4.4 into 2023.26.x, so, all that hassle may put you right back on 11.4.4 in short order. And then, you will have no way to get 11.5.x. Or, maybe I should say, you won't have to endure 11.5.x. Who knows?

But, the bottom line is that some versions of FSDb are going to be better and some worse. That's sort how software testing goes. The mistake is pretending that the test software is production code. This leads to unrealistic expectations.

I believe you can email tesla to request to be dropped from the FSDb test program. Once you are dropped, you will go back to the production branch, where you cold request access again and be (currently) on 11.3.6.....

So far, I’ve struck out emailing [email protected] (simply got an automated response) and scheduling a service appointment for a different hardware issue and also requesting this software shift.

The service advisor said the tech claimed it was impossible to leave the beta once we’ve been accepted (bunch of BS) and I could just turn off FSD from the Autopilot settings (duh).

Although a nice person, the service advisor was pretty useless. I asked her to escalate to her manager who has the ability to connect with engineers at Tesla HQ, so we’ll see what happens next.
EDIT: In my case I just want to get the most current software (with FSD Beta) since it has a lot of added features. Seems obtuse that people who subscribe can easily change but people who payed the BIG $s and bought are stuck.

Last edited:
I drove approximately 2:45 on my HW4 11.4.4 Model S today and experienced one stop sign attempted blow-through on a rural 50 mph road and one actual stop sign blow through precipitated, I think, by a stop sign that was both bent at about a 30 degree angle and set back from the road. The intersecting road was at an acute angle relative to the road I was on, and I think the bent sign and the acute angle of the intersecting road was enough to confuse FSD 11.4.4. The rest of the drive was well behaved. I am not sure I understand the Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde nature of FSD. One day will be horrible enough to make me swear off using it, and the next it is relatively flawless (although still dangerous).

Artemus

I drove approximately 2:45 on my HW4 11.4.4 Model S today and experienced one stop sign attempted blow-through on a rural 50 mph road and one actual stop sign blow through precipitated, I think, by a stop sign that was both bent at about a 30 degree angle and set back from the road. The intersecting road was at an acute angle relative to the road I was on, and I think the bent sign and the acute angle of the intersecting road was enough to confuse FSD 11.4.4. The rest of the drive was well behaved. I am not sure I understand the Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde nature of FSD. One day will be horrible enough to make me swear off using it, and the next it is relatively flawless (although still dangerous).

Artemus
It’s been getting progressively wonkier as each day passes. Somewhere, someone has to be adjusting parameters that is causing expected disengagements for data. I’m convinced.