Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Does Tesla care about 11.4.n anymore? Is giving feedback at this point being used for anything? Even 11.3.6 at this point since Elon is on to 12 and just waiting for compute to complete.
First off: Tesla doesn't talk about this stuff and how it's used to anybody. So the most you're going to get by screaming into the wilderness is Just More Guessing.

People around here read the tea leaves (usually, the release notes, but sometimes There Appears A Tweet that's near-useless) and guess. The Tea Leaves say that data from users is used to show Nasty Situations that, perhaps, the software doesn't do a great job upon.

One thing that we have heard is that Tesla runs realistic simulations against the FSD software and Sees What Happens. So, putting one and one together, there's a reasonable idea that problems that people see end up in the training, "Here's a bad situation" set.

Going a bit further (again, no direct confirmation from anybody) there's no reason that some Nasty that was first seen in, say, 10.x.x isn't still being used on 12.x.x as a training set.

And that's as much as anybody really knows. There's more speculation, of course: Some people have hypothesized that the current, "Tell us what went wrong" when an intervention is done gets converted into text and dumped into some kind of database. Then, an engineer looking for problems with "Y" can search said database for keywords associated with "Y", then check to see if the videos and car state uploaded match what said engineer is looking for. But that's a lot of guessing, no certainty.

I keep on telling the system What Went Wrong. And try and keep it clear and direct.

Does Tesla care about 11.4.n anymore? Is giving feedback at this point being used for anything? Even 11.3.6 at this point since Elon is on to 12 and just waiting for compute to complete.
While disheartening waiting Tesla actually NEEDS 11.4.x stable so it can be offered to new HW4 cars. All of the service reps are likely catching hell from people that are moving from HW3 to HW4 and losing FSD Beta and don't understand (and sure as hell don't like). Also Tesla wants FSD Capability to be a "must have" subscription (or buy) so they need to offer the "30 day free trial" Elon touted a while back to hook people.

So obviously 11.4.x is giving them HELL trying to make a stable version that works equally well on both HWs.

Reactions: Phlier
Main thing I use summon for is to send the car out into the rain, then back again so I can wash it.
That hasn’t happened for a few months here in Texas though
I try to use Summon to be parked under my neighbor's tree for shade on hot days at the front of the driveway. It works only 50:50. When it fails it hits my rose bushes. I don't want any damage to my roses. Forget the car.

• Funny
Reactions: zoomer0056
I for one am getting super exhausted of our only news about FSD being Elon's random tweets (posts?)/replies to folks. It's long overdue to have an official beta app/site section for FSD owners to get news, updates and submit proper bug reports.
Take a nap and prepare to be tired because there is a near 0 chance of a Tesla doing that since it goes 100% against Tesla's entire PR modus operandi, AKA: lack of any PR.

I for one am getting super exhausted of our only news about FSD being Elon's random tweets (posts?)/replies to folks. It's long overdue to have an official beta app/site section for FSD owners to get news, updates and submit proper bug reports.
I’ve posted that same thing so many times on so many forums. I finally gave up. Tesla isn’t running a software industry standard beta test in any way, shape, or form. And they just don’t care.

Many people will argue that since FSDb is a special snowflake that standard beta software practices don’t apply. I’ve agreed to disagree on that point.

I’ve posted that same thing so many times on so many forums. I finally gave up. Tesla isn’t running a software industry standard beta test in any way, shape, or form. And they just don’t care.

Many people will argue that since FSDb is a special snowflake that standard beta software practices don’t apply. I’ve agreed to disagree on that point.
Hear, hear…

Reactions: Phlier
Confused by your ”super exhausted“ concern. Each update outlines every update and change they made, (the news) and each time you disengage it asks you to provide Feedback on what went wrong. If you feel you’re Entitled to an internal strategy meeting or plan you may wish to quit now as it won’t happen nor do they they owe you that access. JMO

They must because of the 100gb of upload from my HW4 a week, unless of course they are just uploading the footage to laugh at it.

Confused by your ”super exhausted“ concern. Each update outlines every update and change they made, (the news) and each time you disengage it asks you to provide Feedback on what went wrong. If you feel you’re Entitled to an internal strategy meeting or plan you may wish to quit now as it won’t happen nor do they they owe you that access. JMO
Sigh. That’s not what I’m asking for, and I have a feeling you know that. I’m asking for updates outside of Elon’s Twitter, primarily. This is not how you properly beta test software, especially one that has so much complexity and real world interaction. We have no idea, for example, why some “civilians” (influencers) got 11.4.6 but the rollout has seemingly halted. Was an issue found? When can we expect the next beta? We have no answers.

Also, sending feedback after a disengagement is a relatively recent thing- and not a replacement for proper bug reports. But I don’t even know since Tesla literally hasn’t told us how our voice notes are even used. If I had to guess they just get aggregated somehow?

I have constant problems with my map and lane selection as well as a turn that dangerously jerks the wheel into the other lane every time. I’ve reported it across the last few betas using voice notes. Still not fixed, and I have no way of knowing its status.

As far as what’s “owed”- I paid $10K for something that isn’t stable yet.

Sigh. That’s not what I’m asking for, and I have a feeling you know that. I’m asking for updates outside of Elon’s Twitter, primarily. This is not how you properly beta test software, especially one that has so much complexity and real world interaction. We have no idea, for example, why some “civilians” (influencers) got 11.4.6 but the rollout has seemingly halted. Was an issue found? When can we expect the next beta? We have no answers.

Also, sending feedback after a disengagement is a relatively recent thing- and not a replacement for proper bug reports. But I don’t even know since Tesla literally hasn’t told us how our voice notes are even used. If I had to guess they just get aggregated somehow?

I have constant problems with my map and lane selection as well as a turn that dangerously jerks the wheel into the other lane every time. I’ve reported it across the last few betas using voice notes. Still not fixed, and I have no way of knowing its status.

As far as what’s “owed”- I paid $10K for something that isn’t stable yet.
It's like making sausage. If potential customers knew the details they would run the other way. As it is, Tesla can keep pretending the fix is just around the corner - pixels, occupancy network, HW3, single stack to rule them all, HW4, end to end net, ...

While disheartening waiting Tesla actually NEEDS 11.4.x stable so it can be offered to new HW4 cars. All of the service reps are likely catching hell from people that are moving from HW3 to HW4 and losing FSD Beta and don't understand (and sure as hell don't like). Also Tesla wants FSD Capability to be a "must have" subscription (or buy) so they need to offer the "30 day free trial" Elon touted a while back to hook people.

So obviously 11.4.x is giving them HELL trying to make a stable version that works equally well on both HWs.
Agree.
I suspect the development team is working hard on a build that supports new cars with HW4. From what I hear from my local Tesla delivery/service center FSD transfer orders are going like gang busters and owners just like you said are expecting FSD. I know I will when I get my new MY later this month. For me it's a no brainer even if I don't qualify for the $7,500 tax credit since my MY is a very old 2020 model and no way do I want to spend $15k for a product that isn't fully functional.

Today FSD took a dip in the road too quickly and heavily bottomed out the car. The warning went off and the screen displayed disabled warnings for all the separate automation features. Regen braking was gone too and when the car wasn't driving it was free rolling so I had to use the brake a lot. Scary!

I tried rebooting with no effect and carefully drove home. I made an appointment with service but the earliest was in 2 weeks. Then I remembered one more thing to try. I went to Safety > Power Off and waited 3 minutes. When I started the car again everything was working again. Whew!

Something to keep in mind if this ever happens to you.