Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
.....The difference/improvement also makes it a lot easier to make out details at night. I don’t know if that makes any difference to what the car can now see…
The computer gets the RAW camera data then what you see is processed and that is the improvement. You can't "improve", process or alter the RAW camera data to send to the computer.

2018 Model 3, Dual Motor, LR, FSD, 162K miles, 11.4.7

Just completed the standard morning run. No change, drives the same as 11.4.4, with same issues, too long at intersections, stops to far back, herky jerky if there are cars at intersection, unnecessary slow downs, unnecessary hard slow downs rather than gradual. Almost comes to a complete stop on the main back road with traffic doing 50+ mph, when it only needs to slow for the slight angled turn onto the road to the left, it's like a Y. You can easily make that turn without even slowing as most cars do. You really don't want to be stopping here unless there is oncoming traffic, it's in a bend of the road too.

Stop here on Red not identified. Its a very tough intersection, you have to stop at least 100yds back at the Stop here on Red. The intersection is more of an X with a railroad track crossing the upper and lower left portion diagonally. Theres a Flashing Yellow light before the railroad tracks and a Stop here on Red sign before the Railroad tracks. There is about a 100+ yards of no mans land from the Stop here on Red before the tracks and up to the traffic light at the intersection. The reason it is no mans land is because when a truck from the road on the left makes a right onto this road it needs all that space to complete the turn. If cars are in no mans land, they either have to try and run the red light or back up all the way across the tracks to get out of the way of the truck. The car wants to go up to the red light at the intersection, you just can't do that.

Concern, pedestrian in distance approaching cross walk from paved walking/biking trail on left side of road (wide open space so you could see them way off in the distance) car didn't slow at all (45mph), turns out pedestrian turned right onto the far side of road shoulder, wife was yelling to stop the whole time. The car definitely should have started to slow approaching the pedestrian, there is no way the car could have known she was going to turn right. Granted she was on far side of road, but still car should have slowed and done it early to let you know it was tracking her. I don't use the side cameras with reverse or blinkers so no comment on any change there. Haven't been on highways with this version so no comment.

Hopefully we'll get some good driving improvements with the 12 series.

Car Status update on a high mileage Tesla:
The upper control arms were replaced around the 50k and 60K miles respectively, now at 162K the lowers have to be replaced. The parts will be in next week, went with after market and local mechanic is doing them. Car is beyond the warranty coverage and the nearest Tesla Service locations are over 1.5hrs away. The Low voltage car Battery was replaced at around the 48 month mark. $70 for the battery and the install by mobile service tech. The main battery is at ~12% drop in capacity. Tires, ~40K on tire miles, Latest ones are 19" Perelli's (Tire Rack) before that they were all Continentals.

Be Safe and Keep Testing.
Go Tesla!

So I couldn’t resist updating to 11.4.7 despite saying I wouldn’t due to my auto wipers likely broken now. I did it for the camera changes. Wow is it better.

This is in a pitch black garage. My iPhone 14 Pro Max is exaggerating the pink tinge to the repeaters, but even so - this is a massive improvement in color accuracy. 30 mins time difference between photos. Car had not moved, and the light (or lack thereof) had not changed, since it’s the middle of the night. There is a blue light from a drinks fridge and a security camera in the rear left, which explains the difference in the repeaters in 11.4.7.

11.4.6:

View attachment 969696

11.4.7:

View attachment 969697

The difference/improvement also makes it a lot easier to make out details at night. I don’t know if that makes any difference to what the car can now see…
If the camera quality issues have been a software thing, why has it taken YEARS to update? 🤔

11.3.6 with sunglasses nag not bad
11.4.4 with sunglasses nags more now
I drove from Grand Forks to Minneapolis on 11.4.4 and at least on the highway found the nags to be pretty infrequent. I timed them at one point and it would only nag me every minute and 45 seconds. The nags have always been more frequent in city driving so it's possible that those are worse.

I just updated to 11.4.7. Haven't driven it enough to get a good feel for nag frequency on this version.

So this is an FSDwtf post.

My auto wipers were flawless, variable and downright good this morning. Didn’t drive in FSDwtf very long but not for the usual disengagements, it limitedbthe speed too much.

N fact, the auto wipers today was the first time I’ve never had to dial them back due to wtf aggressive behavior. It was truly ultra impressive.

I should probably clarify. Yes I was attentive. Yes I took over immediately. There were no cars at the intersection. But the car still ran the stop sign and If I didn’t intervene and there were cars it would have gotten messy.
Not excusing the behavior but IME the presence of other cars actually makes FSD behave differently and brake sooner.

I've posted this before but there are some temporary stop signs on my route to work that FSD doesn't deal well with. If it's following another car it will brake appropriately, probably because it's simply braking for the car instead of the stop sign. If there's no car it barrels towards the intersection then realizes there's a stop sign and slams on the brakes incredibly late.

Reactions: PACEMD