Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
On my drive with FSDb 11.4.7 today I went through a traffic light that was being serviced and was flashing red. It stopped when it got to the line, waited its turn and then went. It seemed to handle it perfectly for me. (Though it is very rare for me to encounter these so I probably won't be able to test again for quite some time.)
Good to know. I’ll get a chance to try it again soon. Every night there are many examples on Miramar Rd.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
@fasteddie7, When I first turned the wipers on auto, they did not work at all… I had to use manual wipers. The third or fourth time I switched it to auto in the same drive, and it started working normally. The wipers have been working on auto normally ever since.

Joe

@PR0FESSOR are you experiencing the auto wiper issues that others are reporting. Mine seem just fine, wondering if it’s a hardware 3 bug.

11.4.7 on HW4 tried to blast through a stop sign and across a heavy traffic road. I waited as long as I could to see if it was going to slow down, but it did not. I had to jam on the brakes. 11.4.4 and ALL of the previous FSD versions I have had stopped at this road… but not 11.4.7.

11.4.7 feels like one step forward towards the grim reaper to me. Come on Tesla.

Joe

People who whine about prices dropping after two years and their fans ?

Back on topic - feels to me 4.7 is faster around roundabouts. Early days yet.
And they are Tesla fans or whining about Tesla fans. i was suspect about your use of the word there. I know they all pronounce the same, but the spelling really changes the word with this one. Could you please be more specific?

People who whine about prices dropping after two years and their fans ?

Back on topic - feels to me 4.7 is faster around roundabouts. Early days yet.
RE: roundabouts

Tough to say for sure. I have a route that has two roundabouts that were handled on 11.4.4 flawlessly, now, the car just sits there and doesn’t even enter with no other vehicles present. Have to hit the go pedal to even get the car to enter said circle. As you said, early days, so the verdict is still out.

On two occasions, when passing on the left lane, FSD Beta tried to veer to the left in the median strip into one of those U-turn areas for emergency vehicles,” Lambert wrote in a post on X, formerly Twitter, today.

Lambert was testing the Beta v11.4.7 version of FSD, which he received on his Model 3 earlier this week. The v11 series of FSD are supposed to be the last beta versions before the official v12 FSD, expected to release next year.

Lambert said the issue seemed new and extremely dangerous.

“I was driving at 118 km/h (73 mph) and it didn’t even slow down. Basically trying to take a sharp left turn at highway speed,” he wrote in the tweet. “I was able to bring the car back into the lane in time, but I almost overcorrected which is dangerous as you are passing.”

On my drive with FSDb 11.4.7 today I went through a traffic light that was being serviced and was flashing red. It stopped when it got to the line, waited its turn and then went. It seemed to handle it perfectly for me. (Though it is very rare for me to encounter these so I probably won't be able to test again for quite some time.)
Another possibility is that perhaps simpler intersections are handled now? The ones on Miramar are very large intersections of course (3 lanes each direction, etc.). Not sure what you were dealing with, though usually would be at least two lanes each direction which seems like it would behave the same way.

Anyway have not encountered on 11.4.7 but will soon, though I may have to make a special trip since my schedule does not take me that way this week.

Another possibility is that perhaps simpler intersections are handled now? The ones on Miramar are very large intersections of course (3 lanes each direction, etc.). Not sure what you were dealing with, though usually would be at least two lanes each direction which seems like it would behave the same way.
The road I was on was one lane each direction, along with a turn lane. The road I was crossing was two lanes in each direction, with a turn lane.

At this point, everyone knows about chuck’s turn and the “median network” that came from it.
Below is a turn that I have. When turning left off of drysdale drive onto the horizontal road, the car just blows through the turn withought stopping, even though it clearly cannot see cross traffic coming from the right. It uses the “median network” which I would argue should not be done in this case. As you can see, the turn should be done in 2 parts, first proceed to the median, then slow in the median at the second “stop” line (there is actually a yield sign here) and proceed when clear. However, the car just floors it across both lanes without checking at all if there are cars coming from the right. For those wondering, tall bushes and trees in the median force the turn to be designed this way. Humans do it great. The speed limit on both roads is 25 mph. On multiple occasions the car has tried to jump out in front of traffic coming from the right by not slowing at all in the median when it clearly cannot see.
IMG_0546.jpeg

• Helpful