Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
After canceling my FSD subscription now 2 1/2 months ago and using the included AutoPilot only, I wouldn’t use FSD Beta if it was free to me in its current state. My daily commute has been immensely better using autopilot than FSD Beta ever was. One of those “step away and let the cloud clear away” kind of moments.
You’re missing out. 😉

One of these days we will look down on the peasants from our yachts funded by robo taxis.

I got to try 11.4.7 on my commute for the very first time this morning.
When it first downloaded I went for a short drive, got home and rebooted the car and left it for a few days.
I didn't need to use it so it sat there. I figured that would give it plenty of time to "deep sleep"
Sadly not, two miles into my 25 mile drive to work and the F*&%ing started randomly wiping a dry windshield.
Outbound commute was pretty good and I noticed that FSD(wtf) really was noticeably slowing down more naturally. Pretty good.
I was feeling pretty confident on the return drive, but hopes were dashing in the first two miles.
Random "FSD degraded due to GPS signal issues" type errors. In a 70mph zone the car keeps flipping to a non-existent 40mph limit and slowing down hard. Then it tried one of it old style "start turning then signal" lane change maneuvers.
I was about to give up but I got to some really heavy traffic where we couldn't get past 30 let alone 40, then it did a great job getting me home.
After all the stupidity of the main commute it drove the side roads home and added icing on the cake and turned into my driveway and stopped outside my garage - its never got close to that before.
So some really noticeable improvements, but some appalling issues still
Still FSD(wtf) for me then - including the autowipers from 2021.

When it first downloaded I went for a short drive, got home and rebooted the car and left it for a few days.
I didn't need to use it so it sat there. I figured that would give it plenty of time to "deep sleep"
Sadly not, two miles into my 25 mile drive to work and the F*&%ing started randomly wiping a dry windshield.
Outbound commute was pretty good and I noticed that FSD(wtf) really was noticeably slowing down more naturally. Pretty good.
I was feeling pretty confident on the return drive, but hopes were dashing in the first two miles.
Random "FSD degraded due to GPS signal issues" type errors. In a 70mph zone the car keeps flipping to a non-existent 40mph limit and slowing down hard. Then it tried one of it old style "start turning then signal" lane change maneuvers.
I was about to give up but I got to some really heavy traffic where we couldn't get past 30 let alone 40, then it did a great job getting me home.
After all the stupidity of the main commute it drove the side roads home and added icing on the cake and turned into my driveway and stopped outside my garage - its never got close to that before.

IMG_8618.jpeg

Just drove home in Seattle. Beautiful evening, and my wipers randomly started wiping several times over the course of a 15-minute drive. Just junk. Frickin’ junk.

• Helpful
Reactions: mtndrew1 and jebinc
Just drove home in Seattle. Beautiful evening, and my wipers randomly started wiping several times over the course of a 15-minute drive. Just junk. Frickin’ junk.
Dry wippin’…

So now you will have millions of micro scratches that will only reveal themselves at the most inopportune moments and in certain light? Did you pay extra for this treat?

IMG_8188.jpeg

just noticed after looking at TeslaFi this evening, the reason for stupid FSD behavior was GPS losing its mind.
We started the journey in Austin, TX and drove a few miles before teleporting to somewhere SW of Cisco, TX then back again a few minutes later.
Only the location changed (as reported by TeslaFi later) but the map display always showed the correct road.
However it still pulled the map based speed data from a road the onscreen map showed it wasn't on.

So far 11.4.7 feels like 11.4.4 in the beginning, random regression but with progression. 11.4.4 "got better" presumably with map updates. Don't know if we've established that Tesla can/does tweak other parameters within the life of release. The behavior does seem to be changing/improving as the days pass with 11.4.7. For example, one of the left turns that it was failing to enter the left turn lane on today became an almost too early entry.

It also seems that level of assertiveness makes a noticeable difference during surface street driving. I don't have a lot of data yet but some of the stopping short and then creeping forward seems correlated with not being in the that "assertive" mode.

I was surprised/impressed when it seemed to "realize" that it was going to be stuck in an intersection during a turn and started swinging around. I wasn't fully confident what it was doing so I aborted it but pretty much immediately did the same maneuver myself.

Latency is still one of my big concerns. Slowdowns and repositioning still happen after the event or situation have passed. For example, the car started veering a little left at an intersection where I was going straight just as a car to my right turned right. I wasn't 100% confident that it wasn't going hit the car on my left which felt uncomfortably close while was more comfortable just keeping my position since the car to my right was already clear and was just getting farther away so I intervened (by just holding the wheel and not allowing the wiggle).

23.32.1 is now rolling out. So 23.7.x is now 6 months old. Starting to feel like the Early in Early Access means early software (like an early model car).

Damn Tesla if V11 is in a lull (pending V12 work) release 23.32.x with 11.4.7 to EVERYONE and get us of this ancient software.

Although wouldn't be surprised if Tesla releases 23.32.x with 11.4.8 and keeps us "Early Access" stuck on 23.7.30/11.4.7. 🤬

Like 11.4.4, 11.4.7 is getting better “with age”. First couple of days were awful. As of yesterday, it’s gotten better. Turns are smoother, there is better path planning when making a turn and a large truck is in the intersection, way less jerky.

Still cannot drive down my narrow, rural road and handle when a vehicle is approaching. Just slams on the brakes to an almost complete stop as approaching vehicle passes.

As for the running of red lights people are reporting:

I did notice this: every time approaching a flashing yellow, the display says “stopping for traffic control” (or light, whatever it says). I don’t remember seeing this for flashing yellows in the past. It still almost stops for the flashing yellow like always (lame). Maybe they are trying to work on flashing yellows and collecting data on what people do (hit accelerator).

I’d say 2 steps back, one forward so far.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
After canceling my FSD subscription now 2 1/2 months ago and using the included AutoPilot only, I wouldn’t use FSD Beta if it was free to me in its current state. My daily commute has been immensely better using autopilot than FSD Beta ever was. One of those “step away and let the cloud clear away” kind of moments.
Is Autopilot still limited to +5mph over posted speed limit off freeway? I tried ditching FSD a year or so ago and that made me switched back.

Similar experience - wipers are suddenly much worse, I got the same ‘FSD degraded’ notice and noticed some speed limit issues, too. Except once when it correctly noted a new, lower speed limit but did not change the set speed.

Interestingly I also noticed that it changed the speed limit before the sign, not exactly as it passed it. Maybe they’re finally starting to write the code so it slows down in time for the change like you’re supposed to do.

Reactions: Twiglett
In a 70mph zone the car keeps flipping to a non-existent 40mph limit and slowing down hard. Then it tried one of it old style "start turning then signal" lane change maneuvers.
This drives me crazy as well.

23.32.1 is now rolling out. So 23.7.x is now 6 months old. Starting to feel like the Early in Early Access means early software (like an early model car).

Damn Tesla if V11 is in a lull (pending V12 work) release 23.32.x with 11.4.7 to EVERYONE and get us of this ancient software.

Although wouldn't be surprised if Tesla releases 23.32.x with 11.4.8 and keeps us "Early Access" stuck on 23.7.30/11.4.7. 🤬
It is pretty hard to follow anymore that is for sure!
Gcw8Y8j.jpg

iSkWWqM.jpg

Reactions: jebinc
Is Autopilot still limited to +5mph over posted speed limit off freeway? I tried ditching FSD a year or so ago and that made me switched back.
Yes it is. That would be the only thing I actually liked about FSDB. I just use TACC and steer myself on rare occasion or just press the go pedal to keep up with traffic.

My daily commuters almost all expressway driving and Autopilot is golden for that and for me.

I would actually buy / rent FSD if it was L3 on expressways but Elon doesn't seem to see that as an important enough issue to get it working.

Reactions: FSDtester#1