Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
FSD’s approach to flashing yellow traffic lights seems to be to treat them as ’stop, then proceed if able’ rather than ’stop only if necessary,’ so your description isn’t surprising. My question is why are there flashing yellow lights on a 70 MPH divided highway?

Many rural highways are like this.
Warning of safety hazards, including but not limited to: frequent crossing wild life, trucks entering highway, upcoming curve, there used to be a library here, before it was replaced with a taco stand. . . . . . etc.

Having a 75 MPH highway with stopped traffic needing to cross or merge doesn’t seem like the best idea, but that’s TXDOT’s decision.

FSD needs to fix its handling of yield situations in general. Currently it tends to treat many/most of them as ‘stop-check-proceed’ rather than ‘check and only stop if necessary.’ Otherwise it’s going to view that as a controlled intersection with a flashing yellow light rather than the warning that it is. (I’m also curious as to why they don’t just have a flashing yellow light over a sign at the side of the road)
Sometimes they do, many, (but not all), wild life crossing warning signs that have flashing yellow lights are above them. But sometimes the flashing yellow lights are overhead, sometimes centered, sometimes biased toward one side or the other and of course sometimes not there at all. Sometimes they're flashing yellow arrows. Sometimes they're just flashing yellow, "Hope you have a nice day" signs.

For me, on my second MY, the wipers have always performed acceptably in the rain. However now I have a problem. Sometimes, but not always, when I start to drive out of my garage they will make two passes and stop. The windscreen is totally dry (Arizona, no rain in memory!). Any suggestions?
I noticed that too. When I go home after parking at work the wipers make 1 or 2 swipes. Maybe FSD wants to dust off the dirt or leaves covering the front cameras before the drive?

I’ve just resorted to manually turning the wipers off when it’s not raining. I got tired of them grinding grit into my glass.
Ditto, these wipers are really grinding my gears.
Just yesterday I received a "passenger seat belt" warning ⚠️.
Must be taken into service.
The message came up right after a buddy who is 6 ft 7 inches and weighs 350 lbs sat in the seat.
Tesla must have a thing against weight on those front seats.
When I push down on the back bottom portion of the seat it now makes a crunchy sound, like there is an empty bag of chips under the fake leather...
I would rather sit at the dmv all day instead of taking it in to get fixed.

Reactions: jebinc
OT: Anyone know the size of the Navigation Data update. Seems they are around 5GB from my defective memory. I have had it pending for a couple of days now but want to be sure I have enough data left over for 15 more days. I can always put it off but every update (even a near useless Navigation) is like Christmas to my immature self.

OT: Anyone know the size of the Navigation Data update. Seems they are around 5GB from my defective memory. I have had it pending for a couple of days now but want to be sure I have enough data left over for 15 more days. I can always put it off but every update (even a near useless Navigation) is like Christmas to my immature self.
Mine was roughly ten gigs.

Allow me to be a bit pedantic… I do it for a living and it is hard to stop…

It’s “brakes” not “breaks”.

:)

My car when the car to either side is to close to my lane will hit the breaks on city streets and a few times on freeway at full speed. Another thing that needs to be fixed, I thought it would just move over a bit, not slow down to match their speed and stay behind them even when they are not in our lane.

After the latest update when I go to the software screen, it does not look for updates anymore. It just tells me the last date it updated. Is that normal
It's been noticed that, for one thing, after one has checked for an update, it's often 24 hours before another update check will change the "current as of XX date" message.

Further, there are apparently some Tesla-based rules that, after a major update, it might be a couple-three days before that date gets changed.

Some have noticed that if a two scroll-wheel reset is done, sometimes (but not always) the date will change on a check.

Finally: Even if one checked for an update at, say, 6 p.m. on a given day, an update will become available without any user input the following day at 3 in the morning. Or not.

And, of course, sometimes one sits down in the car (or brings the car up in the cell phone app), does the check, and, ta-da! There's an update ready 😁.

So, the base rule: Check from time to time, wait 24 hours if you can, and more often if you can't stand it, and relax. You'll get your update when you get it.

And, yeah, there's the rare occurrence when Everybody Else Has Had The Update But You Don't, and It's Been Weeks and Weeks. Generally, Tesla doesn't like being bugged by out-of-control self-entitled update maniacs and tends to give those types exceedingly short shrift. But if you're really fashed, and you're really last-man-standing, sometimes talking to a service manager at a Service Center might get you out of durance vile. Or opening up a ticket on the app. There's sometimes some kind of lock-up that can be remotely repaired; by the reports seen around here, though, those are very rare.

Ditto, these wipers are really grinding my gears.
Just yesterday I received a "passenger seat belt" warning ⚠️.
Must be taken into service.
The message came up right after a buddy who is 6 ft 7 inches and weighs 350 lbs sat in the seat.
Tesla must have a thing against weight on those front seats.
When I push down on the back bottom portion of the seat it now makes a crunchy sound, like there is an empty bag of chips under the fake leather...
I would rather sit at the dmv all day instead of taking it in to get fixed.
Yes, Peter, they are “grinding my gears,” as well!

😆

How is 11.4.7.2 on HW4? Someone here mentioned that 11.4.7.2 was doing a great job running on HW4?
I have a 2023 Model S LR with HW4 and 11.4.7.2 installed. I traded in a 2016 Model S to purchase the 2023 Model S.

Unfortunately Tesla removed the Ultrasonic Sensors and Radar on new Tesla's. I knew at that time that this was a big mistake but i did not know how bad it would be until I took a 1,200 mile trip to Memphis and back. I started out driving in heavy rain and I got a message that FSD was reducing the speed from 70 mph to 60 mph. Why did it do this, well cameras when they get wet cannot see any better than me. After reducing the speed to 60 mph, FSD realized that it could not see well enough to stay in FSD so it canceled FSD. I switched to Navigate on Auto Pilot, I was able to increase the speed to 70 mph, but due to rain on the cameras, Navigate on Auto Pilot could not see well enough and it cancelled it. I still had cruise control in both FSD and Navigate on Auto Pilot, but both could not see well enough to perform the way they were supposed to.

I drove my 2016 Model S with FSD 11.4.4 with Ultra Sonic Sensors and Radar and had little to no cancellations when driving in rain. It also never reduced the speed because it had Radar and Ultra Sonic Sensors.

Elon says Tesla will get to Level 5 but he is smoking dope. Robo Taxi will crash in rain if Radar and Ultra Sonic sensors are not added back. All other Teslas will never get to Level 5 because Tesla's with Tesla Vision cannot drive in rain using FSD or Navigate on Auto Pilot.

Navigate on Auto Pilot used to change lanes when approaching a slower car and then change back. It seems that Tesla removed this feature and it only works when using FSD. This was a stupid decision.

Buying FSD today can only reliably be used when it is not raining. I was able to transfer FSD to my new Model S so this is the reason I bought the new Model S. I would not buy FSD today because Tesla removed Radar and Ultra Sonic Sensors. I still love driving my Model S but FSD sucks when driving in rain.

Reactions: beachmiles