Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Overcast with slight drizzle kills its performance and triggers the warning.
Funny thing is I've actually not seen any degradation ... just the warning (even in heavy rains we have been getting).

BTW, I started getting left front fender camera occluded error last night. Have to check it - as someone suggested having one of the cameras noisy / occluded could trigger dry wipes.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Funny thing is I've actually not seen any degradation ... just the warning (even in heavy rains we have been getting).

BTW, I started getting left front fender camera occluded error last night. Have to check it - as someone suggested having one of the cameras noisy / occluded could trigger dry wipes.
Sure, tough to tell, since it performs so poorly (for me) either way. The warning is a, "qualified" warning - in that it uses the modifier, "may" in front of degrade. 🤣

MY L 2023.27.12 11.4.8.1. Clear day no rain Chill, Chill. Got this new FSD this morning and drove a route I take often, about 14 miles round trip. No dry wipes, I guess that is good news, now the bad news, It (FSD) recognized a school zone speed limit sign and slowed to 15 miles per hour when everyone else is doing 55. I suppose this could be an advance, we have been complaining about it not recognizing school zones and now it dose. The problem, however, was it was the wrong time of day for the speed limit to apply and the sign it read was a sign that read," End 15 mph ". So it slowed to 15 mph when leaving the school zone that was not active. I suppose this could be progress??

So the wipers were so bad with this version that I tried cleaning them with IPA, which made them actually clear the windshield better, but only made a slight improvement in the auto-wiper functionality.

That resulted in me finally using the SEXY buttons that I bought. I set one to "wipers off" and can just press it as soon as the wipers go nuts to stop them. (Then I have to remember to manually control the wipers to keep the windshield clear.)

Up until this version the auto-wipers had worked fine. (Certainly not perfect, but good enough that I didn't do anything about them.)

First impressions for 11.4.8.1. The big news in the release notes is the new video module that appears to promise reduced latency. From what could tell, it really delivered on that. I have been annoyed for a long time with the tendency for the car to overreact, especially for cross traffic that has already cleared the lane. Today, I noticed very little reaction to cross traffic and less overreaction to vehicles pulling into other lanes or turning onto the road into adjacent lanes. It might be wishful thinking, but I noticed very little latency (so far).

Another thing that seems noticeably improved is starting and stopping in a line of traffic. FSDb seemed to slow to a stop more gently when approaching a line of traffic at a light and accelerated more smoothly when traffic ahead took off. And, it seemed to react more quickly to speed up when cars ahead sped up.

In general, it felt, dare I say it, more human-like than the previous version. I realize that it may all be in my head, but it seemed more polished.

Wipers were not an issue, but it was a sunny day and I've never had dry-wipe issues. The last version had some wiper hesitancy for me in light rain, but I could not check that today.

I was so looking forward to single-pull FSD and enabled it right off. Then, I proceeded to double-pull each time I engaged FSD. Darn that muscle memory!

When that happens the car gives the rapid 'beep - beep - beep' to indicate an error. As I recall, it doesn't enter TACC, either but I'll have to check. Either way, it alerts you.
Just happened again. Zero, Zilch difference in the sound that I could detect. First only TACC engaged. Next time FSD. I've to record and check - but absolutely same sounds .... well, it sounded like ;)

I was also thinking about the visual - the biggest visual is the speed changing to blue. That happens with TACC. A tiny wheel changing to blue and the path changing from light blue to darker blue are not visually striking.

If I were managing the project, I'd not allow this kind of UX to go out.

Reactions: swedge and rlsd
Just happened again. Zero, Zilch difference in the sound that I could detect. First only TACC engaged. Next time FSD. I've to record and check - but absolutely same sounds .... well, it sounded like ;)

I was also thinking about the visual - the biggest visual is the speed changing to blue. That happens with TACC. A tiny wheel changing to blue and the path changing from light blue to darker blue are not visually striking.

If I were managing the project, I'd not allow this kind of UX to go out.
Good luck with managing a team of people who don't have driver's license yet They only know to play video games on tiny cellphone screens. :)

Last edited:
Good luck with managing a team of people who don't have driver's license yet They only know to play video games on tiny cellphone screens. :)
Haven't had much problem, honestly.

Infact a few years back - the team was just taking a vote on who had driving license and who didn't during lunch. Thats when I realized so many don't even have license (like over 50%) ... and also felt old ;)

Ever have your vehicle revert back to AP and make you select FSD again (clicking agree box)? I've had it do it twice in the past month. ('17 X)
ie. Starting off on a drive with a destination and engage "FSD" only to find that when it gets close to a turn that it is not turning on the blink and moving into a turn lane.